It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 AM   #1

Tanya2 HB User
can GERD cause severe ribcage pain?

Hi all I have been under investigation for chest pain and gastritis. I am beginning to believe I may have a bad case of GERD as Pariet and Zantac combination is helping me. I am trying to put everything together. I have been suffering from severe chest (behind breastbone) back pain. It is a burning sensation with chronic cough that is mildly productive and a stabbing pain in my stomach. Recently developed sore throat, hoarse voice and lump in throat feeling. My esophagus xray, CT for lungs and heart all came back normal. I understand that GERD can cause these problems but the one I can't explain yet is the searing ribcage pain that sometimes accompanies the chest pain. It is a searing pain that emcompasses my ribcage. It feels much like pleurisy pain and I have had recurrent pleurisy and inflamation of my chest wall lining in the past. It is similar but more of a burning. It prevents me for sleeping or even wearing a bra or seatbelt as any pressure on my ribcage (like laying down) increases the pain. Is this posssibly caused by GERD? Anyone have similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Re: can GERD cause severe ribcage pain?

Could be gerd symptoms.When i first got gerd it manifested itself with severe burning pain on the right side where the breastbone is.Have had many tests to find out what the pain under the breastbone is to no avail.All i know is i never had this pain till i was diagnosed with gerd 20 yrs ago.Now the pain is there 24/7.Hope you dont have the same pain im having,because its difficult to pin it down .Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: can GERD cause severe ribcage pain?

It could be referred pain from the GERD - meaning that the pain doesn't actually originate where the problem is, but travels to another site and causes pain away from the original problem. However, your pain sounds like GERD complaints/symptoms that I've read about on other sites.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
Katie G

Closed Thread