It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 08:07 AM   #1

health_freak HB User
Does consuming Sugar cause air and flatulence?

I noticed that whenever I eat sweet things, or anything containing sugar, my stomach almost immediately starts grumbling and I have a lot of gas in my stomach....does anyone else have the same problem?
And I love chocolate, cakes....but will have to give them up when the holidays are over

Old 08-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #2

fear of surgery HB User
Re: Does consuming Sugar cause air and flatulence?

Almost anything we put into our mouths can cause the problems you describe. Can sugar be a problem, In a word, YES.

I have been told to stay away from refined sugar products which isn't easy since there seems to be sugar everywhere. It is present even in other forms, like white flour products, potatoes, etc.

As to discomfort/flatulence from sugars, again my vote is YES. Try to stay away from most of it for a few days and see if you feel better. Trial and error.

I had my Gall Bladder out a couple of months ago and had been on a low carb (many carb loaded things like white breads and potatoes turn into sugar in the liver, by the way) diet for well over a year to try to avoid creating new gall stones. It didn't work, a year later I had MORE stones, but I did feel better digestion=wise.

Now I find that experimenting with carbs like those mentioned above again, as well as things like greasy, fatty foods including wonderful-tasting (but greasy) chocolate chunk cookies from bakeries can just about kill me with abdominal pains and gas. Charming....................... they taste so good yet react in nasty fashion.

Just in the past couple of weeks of eating more carbs in many forms I have put on a few pounds again. I'd lost a ton of weight prior to surgery, both intentional and unintentional, and all the docs said "DON'T put the weight back on!" So... I will go back to watching what I eat. Just being thinner (and I was never obese, just chubby) in itself makes me feel better, too.

You don't mention your age, but many of us, as we hit the middle years, have less tolerance for many foods than we had earlier on. That's another possible consideration.

Good luck with your digestion. Do try to test out various things to see how they react. You may find that some sweet things are fine while others are awful. You just never know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 06:26 AM   #3

health_freak HB User
Re: Does consuming Sugar cause air and flatulence?

thank you for your reply fear of surgery! You are right, EVERYthing we eat nowadays contains refined sugar, or some kind of chemicals, preservatives, artificial etc etc, so I'm thinking of starting to eat....practically nothing! Because, fruits, yeast, most vegetables, carbs, drinks, SWEETS, all cause flatulence....so looks like I have to eat bird seeds or something [that is easy to digest]!

Thanks for the advice, I will immediately stop eating the usual junk I eat [though it's harder to do than to say...], and see what happens. I just hope it gets better. After all I am only 19!!

Hope everything goes well with your stones. My father has kidney and gallbladder stones, and though he used to remove them they kept on coming back. I know, the pain is atrocious. Best thing is to drink, drink and drink tons of water.

Closed Thread