It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
(male)

wessman01 HB User
Question "bubbling" under lower left rib cage

My mother has been concerned lately. Almost everytime she eats she gets a bubbling under her lower left rib cage. Followed by gas feeling the need to burp or pass gas and sometimes diarrhea. She does get heartburn (almost every day) like me but no nausea. For the last 3 days she has had a pain in that same area mostly after she eats. She describes the pain as a "runners stitch" (<--- I have no idea what that is) but closer to the middle of her body. She's a 47 y/o female, non-drinker, not over weight, with no major medical history. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:17 AM   #2
(male)

junior26 HB User
Re: "bubbling" under lower left rib cage

I have had that for the past 2 days as well, which is why I decided to come here to find answers, and I saw your post. It's exactly like you say. A gurgling/bubbling feeling coming from under the left rib cage. That's the stomach, by the way. For me, it usually goes away on it's own after a few days. Last year, I had it for 2 weeks with constant diarrhea.

I've had a lot of stress and severe health anxiety lately. I'm sure that doesn't help the digestive system.

I'll try to find some answers too.

Last edited by junior26; 08-17-2004 at 06:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: "bubbling" under lower left rib cage

How are your diets, generally? Plenty of fiber? Fresh veggies and fruits? Etc.?

Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Talking Re: "bubbling" under lower left rib cage

My GI doctor would tell me different, and I suggest u go or at least your private doctor.. the last person that told me to eat fiber, sent me to the hospital.. The constant Diarrehea is not a good thing. Speak with your doctor, and untill then take some OTC anti-diarrhea drug, u are losing fluids through the runs, this is rather bad, for it can mess your electrolites up...
I suggest u give everything a rest and do liquids for a day or two, includes jello.. I would also suggest, NO FIBER.. it won't kill u and it is probably the worse thing you can do.. When my colon issues act up, i got was told to eat the following items.. rice, banana and tea... well I am alergic to banana's and tea is not my thing.. but.. try it, and see how u feel, if it passes right through u, see a doctor..

Unfortunately for me, I found out 5 years ago I had an IBD, with IBS concurrent to it.. ( i hate spelling out IBD, and it always sounded gross to me.. )
( I was also told that my stomach is basically str8 down below my rib cage, and not to the right or left, the colon is the gurgling thing.. left upper quadrant..(??) I suppose it could be different for different people.. but basically that is the stomach, smack down in the middle.. U can try antacids... not too many, for they can cause the runs.. and u may wish to stay away form the "as shown on tv" ones, including TUMS and ROLAIDS..
pepcid and ones like that when they add a Antacid in, read just what they put in it, is just as bad as tums and rolaids can be..u could have issues with some antiacids, then take an over otc like prilosec or pepcid and it has the same stuff added.

Tums and rolaids are cheaper, but they sent me to the hospital....

The only Antacid I can take is titralac.. it is not inexpensive and sometimes difficult to find.. (don't chew them, they worked better with me if I swallow them whole, plus they taste gross, but if u don't have water readily available.. u can chew them.)

Is it serious for u? the diarrhea is..

I can only tell u of what i experienced, most likely u just have IBS-D... it's nothing like in the neighborhood of Ulcerative colitis and stuff.

And, if it is IBS, eventually u will probably be told to slowly increase your roughage, (and water) in the meantime chug down a lot of water.. you lose it with each squirt down the drain..

u may wish to do a food elimination, and make sure it is not a food allergy.. it takes time but is well worth it.. be sure u are not having issues with milk.. now there's something that will give u a run for your.....toilet.

stress... meditate if u can, go for walks, runs.. bop ur boss upside the head... ok, don't bop ur boss he/she will fire u..

( I have a prescription of lomotil liquid version, very not readily available, but works rather quick to kill the cramps I get.. which in comparison, feels like u are giving birth to a full grown killer whale.. and you are not even constipated.. but that is just my issue..)

And just because everyone else who has the condition can say eat more roughage, it may not be the same for you.. just be careful.

this message is a bit long winded , but I hope it may give u an idea or two..

good luck.

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior26
I have had that for the past 2 days as well, which is why I decided to come here to find answers, and I saw your post. It's exactly like you say. A gurgling/bubbling feeling coming from under the left rib cage. That's the stomach, by the way. For me, it usually goes away on it's own after a few days. Last year, I had it for 2 weeks with constant diarrhea.

I've had a lot of stress and severe health anxiety lately. I'm sure that doesn't help the digestive system.

I'll try to find some answers too.

Closed Thread