It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

leelee04 HB User
Question Gastritis how long?

Does anyone know how long gastritis usually takes to heal? I was told last week that I have gastritis and have been taking Zantac 150. I still feel a little burn every now and then but I get bloated a lot when I eat. Does anyone know how much longer I might have to deal with this for?
Thanks,
leelee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #2

Moonbeamdarlene HB User
Re: Gastritis how long?

Hi LeeLee
I"m just getting over a bout with Gastritis. Its been almost 5 weeks for me. After a couple weeks of trying various OTC Antacids I ended up at the Doctors and he put me on Acephex, which did nothing. Finally I started researching on the web about dosages. I found that you can take 40 mg of Pepsid in one 24 hour period. I started taking 30 mg of Pepsid at Bedtime and 10 mg of Pepsid in the morning, and its working for me. This whole horrid affair started the very same day a major trauma happened in my family. As I have had Gastritis before I knew it was going to take awhile. I noticed last week that I was tightening up my stomach muscles almost constantly. This no doubt was adding to my sickness or even contributing to it. I started to be concious of it and focussed on relaxing my stomach. That and the pepsid I think have helped me get over this. I also make sure I eat sensible meals regularly. At first it hurt so much everytime I would eat, I woudn't eat, and lost 25 pounds in 4 weeks. Then I found that eating actually helped it. I also have been doing deep breathing exercises for relaxation. I know what you are going through and it is hell, but it does get better. Make sure you are relaxed when you eat and eat slowly. Get involved in some project or something to get your mind off of your stomach. In other words.....Don't let your brains eat your stomach. You might want to try omitting all dairy products for a couple days to see if they could be bothering you also and no caffiene what so ever. For me, I think relaxing and finding the right antacid was the key. I don't know the dosages for Zantac, although My Sister in law's Dr. told her you can take it 3 times a day if needed, ask your Dr. Mild exercise helps too. I feel for ya kid!, Keep a positive attitude, this will pass.

Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #3

clairey21 HB User

It can take years to heal for some! 5 weeks is a very short time.
Try taking aloe vera juice, the herb tumeric and the 2 amino acids glutamine and cysteine! they have been shown very promising in gastritis as they heal damaged tissue

Old 09-06-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

leelee04 HB User

Years!? Are you serious?! My doctor told me this wont take very long to heal! Are you saying I could have this for over a year? Do you know anyone who has had this for years and have takin meds for it such as Zantac?
leelee

Last edited by leelee04; 09-06-2004 at 12:09 PM.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #5

clairey21 HB User

Dont be worried! we are all different. I know someone who has had it for over a year.
But by taking the zantac and the other stuff i recommend it will speed up healing and you should feel better too! By taking supplements too you are helping yourself get better quicker

Old 09-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

leelee04 HB User

So are you saying since I am taking The Zantac I should be over this in less than a month?
leelee

Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I've been dealing with what I think is gastritis for over a month now. It started with a sudden onset of heartburn and upper right side pain that ran into the back that lasted for a couple weeks(I didn't start to take anything til the second week, it was bad enough that when I laid down I could feel it come up to the throat. After that started to settle down I got a hoarse sound to my voice which continued for a couple weeks and still comes and goes especially when I eat ice cream. But the one thing that is constant is a bloating aching stomach right in the middle above the belly button. I feel much better if I don't eat and if I go too long without eating like all day then it will start to give me heartburn, then when I do eat I feel bloated and uncomfortable for hours, even eating one little bowl of soup. Does this sound like gastritis to any of you? I do have esophagitis from my last endoscopy last year. I don't know if I should see my gastro Dr or just hope it will subside on it's own.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
(female)

leelee04 HB User

Hi Nancy
I really think you should see a doctor so you can start taking some medicine. You said if you dont eat you feel better. Well if you keep that up you are going to ruin your stomach even more. Please make an appiontment today if possible
leelee

Old 09-07-2004, 05:17 AM   #9

clairey21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee04
So are you saying since I am taking The Zantac I should be over this in less than a month?
leelee

Zantac helps in minimising stomach acid so it doesnt cause more pain and damage, but it can take a long time that way.
All i am saying is take the supplements as well if you want to, as it will speed up healing alot!!
I know 3 people with gastritis and none have been healed that quickly!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have taken Aciphix and Prilosec for about 6 months and I still had Gastritis problems.

I went to a different Doctor that treats allergies and he gave me Mastica and the Gastritis cleared up in 2 weeks. The healing was verified by the Gastro doctor that had scheduled an Endoscope Exam 6 months earlier--- He was the one that gave me the PPIs for gastritis.

Last edited by Harry; 09-07-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #11

clairey21 HB User

Mastica is a herb and it has been successfully proven to kill the hpylori bug! this can be the cause of gastritis and ulcers. Docs usually give you a long course of antibiotics but it tend to come back as our bodies become immune to them.
If the cause of your gastritis is the hpylori bug then mastica would be great!! so it wouldnt hurt to try it, your doctor should really test you for that in the first place to determine the cause of the gastritis/ulcer but many dont. Gastritis is also often caused by drugs such as asprin, my friend got gastritis by taking things like ecstacy to much over a period of time and that damaged his stomach lining.

But if it is the hpylori bug then the gastritis usually heals very well! so get your doc to test you for that and get some mastica (mastic gum) it is a bit pricey but is sold on the net and is very effective!
So LEELEE04 get your doc to test you for that bug and if you have it get some mastic gum if not carry on with the drugs and my other suggestions!

I have functional dyspepsia which is a chronic stomach prob with little understanding and no treatment so i envy you lot with gastritis!! sounds stupid but at least you have a ton of options to get rid of it!!
Good luck

Claire

Old 09-07-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

LeeLee04 I'm taking your advice, but gastro wan't in today and will be in on thursday so I'll make an appt then, today it was pretty good(of course I'm thinking of seeing the dr that is why) LOL

Old 09-07-2004, 09:14 PM   #13
(female)

leelee04 HB User

I'm glad to hear you are going to the doctor to get your problem fixed. Let me know how it goes.
leelee

Closed Thread