It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

Socagrl HB User
Pain on Right side of back

???? anyone get this with GB problems?? HELP! it hurts!

Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #2

callmekat HB User
Re: Pain on Right side of back

Hello,
I also had pain on my right side. Under my Breast and in my back, same area. This is a sign of GB problems. Also spitting up green like fluid, gas reflux feeling. Yes it can be painful. I had to have mine removed. I had problems for year with my BM'S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

Socagrl HB User

what kind of problems did you have with your BMs, I have mucus and sometimes green stool? sorry TMI!! but the pain in my right back that goes from the flank area to uuper right back under the shoulder blade. HELP! is this common?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

cheer up HB User

Socagrl:

Sorry to hear of your pains. Yes, gall bladder pain occurs under the rib cage on right side and can be stabbing, achy and last awhile or come and go.

Your BM situation sounds like it could be gall bladder as well. Stools tend to get very soft, sometimes off-color, i.e., very pale and/or greenish, as you mentioned.

People with gall bladder "attacks" can get nauseated for no apparent reason and also have vomiting. I was nauseated but never vomited. You might also get pains right around your belly button or anywhere in the right abdominal area, though the upper quadrant is most common.

Yes, discomfort can wrap around your right side and/or be felt in your upper back, just below the shoulder blades. It's in the same locale as your upper abdominal pain would be on the right side, except the pain is in the back.

Certain foods can set off discomfort, or your pains can come at times for no apparent reason. Gallstones are formed by cholesterol (not the same cholesterol that's in the blood). If you eat a lot of sugary, and white flour products like sweets and pasta and potatoes, you may have more stone formation.

Some people have a diseased gall bladder WITHOUT stones but the first step in finding out what's wrong is a simple abdominal ultrasound. It's painless and doesn't take very long. If they see stones, my guess is that's what's causing your problems.

An attack of a stone's trying to pass into a bile duct is horrid -- as bad or worse than a kidney stone or labor. It is stabbing, unrelenting pains in the abdominal area that can last from about 20 minutes to many hours. Mine lasted 2 1//2 hours only and then disappeared as quickly as they came. Some people get violently sick to their stomach at the same time.

But...a gall bladder attack can also just be those pains you're feeling -- an attack doesn't have to be dramatic or horribly painful.

My surgeon said I had had MORE attacks than even I had thought, when he took it out and saw all the scar tissue. On the ultra sound, the gall bladder looked healthy enough and some tiny stones were seen. The smaller the stones, the more likely you will have trouble.

Have you gone on any diets where you had rapid weight loss at any time in your life? Have you had any children? Women are more likely to suffer from gallstones than are men, but after age 60 it evens out.

If you are not feeling good and are tired of it, go see your internist or a gastroenterologist and tell him/her your symptoms. You don't want to wait too long because it doesn't get better. And you don't want to end up having surgery on an emergency basis and possibly have to have a very large scar instead of the tiny little laparoscopy scars. With lap. surgery, you are back on your feet within a few days, literally. I was back at work at exactly two weeks post-op, and I'm 55 years old! I think I could've even gone back to work a few days earlier, but my surgeon said he gives everyone at least two weeks to recover sufficiently.

If you are unwell, please go see your doctor -- and let us know how you're doing!

Old 09-28-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Socagrl HB User

cheer up,

thank you for all the time you have taken to explain. very kind of you.

i infact have right back pain that is in the 'flank area' all the way up to the upper shoulder blade area. it hurts when i press on it, and when i lean on it, and hunching over. It wraps around from the RUQ area. I also get tender spots near the belly button and RUQ and sometimes my ribs get sore and tender to touch. I have even had pain in my LUQ at times. I also now suffer from the 'queezy feeling' not really vomiting, but a nausea sensation.

My stool is green sometimes, on a couple occasions i have felt 'stabs' in the RUQ as well, but it's usually this constant ache especially in the back that really doesnt go away and at times it just gets worse.

sounds like GB to you?

thanks you so much

Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
(female)

cheer up HB User

Yes, it definitely DOES sound like gall bladder to me. I would suggest you see your internist or a gastroenterologist and describe all your symptoms just as you have on this board.

You shouldn't have to suffer all the time like this; if it IS gall bladder, and doctors advise removing it, I would recommending removal fairly soon. It is always possible it is some other digestive problem, or even musculoskeletal, but my best guess is gall bladder. Let us know what you find out.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

Valntin1978 HB User

I was reading on what you were saying about pain on right side of back, or flank pain...I have already had my gallbladder removed and I've been reading because I've been feeling nausated having cold chills, feel like I'm running a temperature and my sides hurt which is the flank area and everything I've read on..on how I've been feeling is pointing to the kidneys, so if you have already had your GB removed then maybe it's your kidneys..Hopefully I'm helpful for anyone that reads this..

Closed Thread