It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

septemberday HB User
Elevate the head of the bed????

I have had GERD for some time - had a EGD Monday and Dr. says to sleep with the head of the bed elevated 8-10 inches Well we have a king size bed and this is impossible. I have in the past tried a wedge but for a side sleeper this is very uncomfortable. Anyone have any ideas on anything to try????? I have seen some things on the internet that look promising but need your input first before spending money on something foolish. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User
Re: Elevate the head of the bed????

I have a king size bed too and have used blocks of wood to prop up the head of the bed. Not an easy task but not impossible either. I've seen different types of gadgets to raise the bed up that look a lot safer then just blocks of wood but I haven't tried them personally.

I currently use a wedge and hate how it twists up my back (I'm a side sleeper too). I read somewhere to put the wedge under the mattress which should make it a little easier to sleep. The only problem I see with this method on a king size mattress is that it will over time warp the mattress unless you put a wedge pillow on the other side.

There's no real easy and comfortable solution to raising the head of the bed but it really is the best way to control the nightime reflux. Even the wedge tends to bend you in the middle which aggravates the condition. The only reason I resorted to using the wedge was our pillow top mattress was getting ruined from having the head of the bed raised. Our weight was pushing all the stuffing down to the foot of the bed not to mention all the covers tending to slip down while we slept. My poor husband couldn't take it anymore and frankly I couldn't blame him.

Good luck and I hope your GERD gets better, mine has flared up for the last couple of months so I feel your pain.

Antoinette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

septemberday HB User

Do you always use the wedge or just when the GERD flares up? Also, have you seen that thing they call the Bedge? It is longer than a standard wedge and make out of the egg crate foam. Looks like it might work better but it's $100 so I'd like to find out from someone who has used it if they liked it before I ordered it if you know what I mean!

Old 10-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User

I try to elevate myself, the bed or use the wedge only when my GERD is a problem. I prefer to sleep flat and being elevated causes havoc with my back and neck. If it isn't one thing it's another.

I haven't heard of the bedge but it being longer sounds like a good idea to me. My wedge is of egg crate foam which I find to be pretty comfortable and I prespire less (being peri-menopausal night sweats are an issue). If I position my head at the very top of my wedge the bottom of it hits my hips. I'm only 5'2" so I think for most people it probably catches them in the waist.

I just wonder how comfortable any of these wedges are for side sleepers. I wish I could get myself to sleep on my back but I just end up laying there awake wishing I could turn over.

Elevating the head of the bed is really the best solution and if I slept alone I'd do it, even if it meant having to yank the covers up through the night as they slide off. I just feel it's unfair for my husband to have a rotten night's sleep because of this problem.

Hope that you find a comfortable solution.

Antoinette

Old 10-03-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have used a King Size bed for about 30 years and have used wood blocks --- 4"X4" under the bed frame for at least 20 years. The frame is attached to the headboard putting it about 6 inches high off the floor. We are now on our third mattress and it is a Memory Foam Type and works fine. The middle frame legs are by 2X4s with some shims.

This was recommended by a Gastro Doctor many years ago before the antiacid type drugs they now have on market were available.
It has worked for me all these years and I think it is a healthy thing to do with for anyone with GERD type problems.

I also think it is important to sleep with your entire body fully supported.

Peace---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-03-2004 at 07:17 AM.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I picked up a set of 'bed risers' at a local department store. They are 6" high and made out of high impact plastic. I'm a stomach sleeper and I slept flat for a year trying to figure out how to raise the head of my bed. I've also seen them in a grocery store for about $10. On the rare occasions when I notice that the mattress has slipped I just give it a shove.
fly

Closed Thread