It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran

bullun HB User
Question inconsistent bowel movements & abdominal pain

Perhaps I should rephrase my issue.
Following abdominal cramping and "gnawing" pain in my stomach (as though hungry). I suffer from bouts of diarrhea and the shakes during these attacks. For about two weeks the bowel movements have resumed to normal stools, but are frequent. I.e., when I do go, I will wind up going 4 or 5 times.

My gallbladder has been looked at for stones, negative. They suggested an ulcer, yet that was prior to the array of odd bowel movements.
I am being checked for thyroid (doubtful), parasites, and to see of I am absorbing fat. I'm also avoiding diary in case this is a response to being lactose intolerant.

Does anyone else suffer from such fits that are so inconsistent? I am beginning to feel as my attacks have settled down and the diarrhea has left, that perhaps I"m going batty.

Does IBS go in bouts of dormancy and then activity?

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated! I feel a bit batty here, unsure of what to eat anymore for the stomach pain or bowels.

p.s. I should mention I beginning this week am avoiding Gluten and caffeine in hopes to keep symptoms at bay.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran

bullun HB User
Re: inconsistent bowel movements & abdominal pain

No takers? Anybody have any suggestive comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #3

Moonbeamdarlene HB User

Yes, IBS can make your upper stomach ache, cramp, feel hungry. I have had IBS for 20 years now. As my Dr put it.... " IBS can effect you clear up to your neck", and it has for me. IBS can be dormant at times and then flare up, depending on what you eat and your stress levels. As far as your Gallbladder, there are other tests for it that check to see what level it is functioning at, you may want to inquire about them. Very important to watch what you eat, best to stick with a low fat diet, no roughage, no seeds, nothing raw, gassy foods, i.e. beans, cabbage etc, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol. Metamucil, one heaping teaspoon a day in a glass of water may help you and add some bulk to your movements. Try to relax and work on your stress levels, deep cleansing breaths are good. Many IBS'rs use a heating bad to calm the stomach and intestines. I know it is irritating, believe me, I know, but if you watch your diet and your stress, it usually calms down considerably. Hope this has helped you some.

Darlene

Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran

bullun HB User

Darlene,
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. Particularly knowing that it can go dormat. Well my parasite and fat tests came back negative. So that at least rules that out.

I've been ruling out dairy and wheat for almost a week now and tenatively added a bit of dairy last night, which caused a lovely flare up this morning..Lactose intolerance?

I guess the "not knowing" is what is the most frustrating part in all of this. If I knew I would understand what I was dealing with and know how to control it, as you expressed with dietary habits..Besides, low fat, etc, helps keep the weight off too.

Thanks again, all tips greatly appreciated!
Dana

Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi Dana you should really try going gluten free stick by it, and you will be able to take dairy again in the near future..has your gutt heals..cuz it seems to me you are damaged..pretty sure from da Gluten..lol..give it a try what have you got to loose..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 10-14-2004 at 08:23 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

Socagrl HB User

dana,

I am sorry to hear about everything you have gone through. I too have had this all week. Went to the doc had a lot of blood tests, ultrasound...all of it. Now I am just waiting for my stool results for all these things they are looking at. I had the exact same as you, burning in my stomach, pain, diarrhea, then constipation. I thought it was maybe my gallbladder but the US was negative.

I talked about getting a HIDA scan but my doc said there's no reason. But I still have pain, no more diarrhea, but i get burping, heartburn, and pains all over and goes up my back.

hope you feel better and get a diagnosis.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran

bullun HB User

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the thoughts an ideas.

I intend to try and be tested for Celiac Disease and toy more with the Lactose Intolerance.

Socagirl,
Have you tried elminating potential food from your diet ? I know once I did that, my symptoms have completely subsided after 3 full days without dairy or wheat. (Aside from this morning) Its been a great relief.

Toss out food allergens or intolerances as an idea to your doctors! It never occurred to me until mine mentioned it.

Good luck getting your diagnosis, I'll be sure to keep posted on how mine turns out next week.
Dana

Closed Thread