It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

weez HB User
I'm scared - it's my pancreas most likely

I went to the doc today with what I thought was a bout of IBS - however upon examination it's my pancreas that's hurting. My gall bladder and the entire right side don't hurt. She still however feels that it's probably related to the gallbladder. They took some blood tests and tomorrow I have to have an abdominal ultrasound. I'm a wreck thinking it's something fatal.

The pain has been on and off since august but has been especially bad (but still on and off) for about a week. I also have tons of painful gas if I eat the wrong thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

StaciL320 HB User
Re: I'm scared - it's my pancreas most likely

Hi. Don't be scared. It could be nothing more than gas pockets in the area. If it is your gall bladder, that is easier to fix. I had mine out over a year ago and the recovery period was very fast. I hope you are okay. Please write and let me know. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

weez HB User

Thank you Staci for your reassuring words. I've calmed down now - I think just the word pancreas scared me because it's an organ that I really don't know anything about and I never suspected that there might be something wrong with it.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Hi Weez. I also had an abdominal sonogram done before my gall bladder was diagnosed. They check the whole area and all the major organs, but the test is painless and non invasive, which is good. When I had my sonogram done, they found the stones and that's why my gall bladder was removed. I never had what you call a real attack, but just felt uncomfortable when I touched the area. There was a medical name for this, but I can't remember what it was.

I am pretty sure nothing serious is going on with you, especially because you seem to react when you eat the wrong things, which is typical of gall bladder problems.

Talk to you later.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
(female)

weez HB User

I had the abdominal ultrasound today. The technitian didn't say anything to me as far as the results go. However, I'm pretty sure she found something because the script just said "abdominal ultrasound" and nothing more specific than that. She quickly scanned my entire abdomen including the painful left side, then she spent a LONG time on the right side, even had me turn on my side so she could do my waist area (but highter up).

So now I'm just going to have to wait for the results.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
(female)

cheer up HB User

Hi Weez --

Just wanted to add my two cents here --

A number of people feel the pain of a bad gall bladder on their LEFT side; it's not the norm but is reasonably common.

When I had my first abdominal ultrasound done, they checked: abdominal aorta, pancreas, liver, kidneys and gall bladder. The stomach is a separate test and was not done. The tech spent a LOT of time on my right side, and I ended up diagnosed with gallstones.

Finally had the GB removed a few months ago but still have weird pains here and there from time to time. I'm told to expect this for months/years to come. I try not to get freaked out by it and am very glad to have had the surgery. Immediate recovery was quick and pretty easy.

Anyhow, I doubt your pancreas is a big issue here, especially since the tech spent little time examining it. They tend to go over and over the areas of real concern; in your case, sounds like the good old gall bladder again.

Let us know what they tell you...........

Old 10-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

weez HB User

Thank you CheerUp for your post - it actually made me feel better. It's true she spent 5 seconds on the pancreas while she spend many minutes on the right making me take all sorts of deep breaths and change positions on the table slightly.

The weird thing is that yesterday when I went to the doc I was running a low-grade fever and felt like HELL, today I actually feel OK - my abdomen is tender but I'm doing my normal activities - and no fever. On Friday the 29th I'm off to Disney for a 5 day vacation. Shoot, I hope I can get by with just some painkiller and Xanax and deal with whatever needs to be done when I get home.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
(female)

carol thomas HB User

Hi Weez --

Just go and enjoy your vacation. Watch out for greasy and/or fatty foods so you don't trigger some sort of attack. And remember -- you are going to a place where there are plenty of doctors/hospitals -- not a third world area.

In the unlikely event of a major attack you can just present yourself to their local emergency room. Gall bladder, if that's what you're troubled by, is one of the most common ailments around and ERs are well prepared to deal with them. Unless there's a real good reason to keep you there and operate at once, they'll give you a nice pain killer and send you on your way, telling you to report to your doctor once you get home.

I was going to Maui last year and terrified to do so with my bad gall bladder. My internist just said, "they've got a good hospital on Maui, don't worry about it!" Well, I was fine -- and didn't have the surgery until six months later.

Taking along some Xanax is always a good idea, too! Have fun and don't worry!

Old 10-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #9
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Hi Weez. Don't go reading into anything because the technican didn't say anything. They never do and it is up to the doctor to tell you exactly what is going on. I think the technican was just doing his job and didn't want to miss anything since you could have shown a problem with let's say your gall bladder, but he wanted to be sure there was nothing else going on anywhere else.

Please let me know once you get results.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #10

Lite8888 HB User

Hi Weez,
I've been having pain on my left side too, and am a little freaked out about my pancreas as well. I've had tons of belching, especially after meals and a burning feeling in my esophagus and my bowels are messed up. I had an ultrasound done 3 weeks ago and everything came back normal so my doctor wants to blame it on stress and IBS. Bologne. My girlfriend said it took her doctor nearly 3 months to diagnose her bad gall bladder because nothing showed up on the ultrasound. She didn't have gallstones, but had a diseased gall bladder. But, if it is your gall bladder, I hear from lots of people that the surgery to remove it is done laparoscopically and is not bad. So good luck to you and just know that you are not alone in your fears. I'm trying to trust in the Lord but sometimes it's hard.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
(female)

weez HB User

My bloodwork and ultrasound came back normal. Doc says that if I still have these problems in 2-3 weeks then I have to go for a test where they inject dye into the gallbladder to test it's functioning. I gather from the ultrasound that they can tell if there are stones or not but not how it's working? I think.

Anyhow, I'm starting to think that this might be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) I was diagnosed with that many years ago - when I was 19 or 20 - I'm 39 now. I wonder what the difference is symptom wise for gallbladder versus IBS? They seem kind of similar. I've decided to follow an IBS flareup diet for a couple of days and see what happens - can't hurt at this point. I see the doctor again in 3 weeks (or sooner if I'm really hurting). She's also given me Protonix which is an antacid.

Thanks for all your support.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
(male)

hallmatt HB User

Weez,

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I had roughly the same thing. Mostly left-sided. They did the U/S and didn't see anything extraordinary. Then they did an upper GI barium swallow (not fun). Nothing extraordinary with the stomach. Then the Dr sent me for a HIDA scan with CCK injection, just because she thought it was a remote possibility. It came back at some ridiculously low ejection fraction which meant it was bad. No stones on U/S, but that test confirmed it.

A year later, some of my bloating is back on the left side again. Not NEARLY as bad as it was, just enough to be unnerving and annoying. I've been trying out a new Dr and saw him in May because it didn't seem completely alleviated by the lapro surgery to remove my GB. He said to try over the counter antacids if it came back to see how that goes first. Well, I forgot that and by November it was back again and I was freaked out because it looks like my lowest left rib was swollen (I still think it was, though it's not as bad now). I went back and he felt it and was very not worried. He said if it was something festering down there that my pain level would be on its way up and not coming down like it was by the time I saw him. He said the unusually spicy Thai meal I had that week was more than likely to blame.

So far, so good, I guess. I'm not in any particular pain, just more mental anxiety than anything.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #13
(female)

weez HB User

I'm still not sure what my problem is. I had the abdominal ultrasound which came back normal. Then I was fine for a few weeks. Now the pain is on the right side a bit lower down. So I went for the HIDA scan last week and it came back normal too. So next week I'm going for an endoscopy. So I've had pains in different areas of my upper abdomen and then it mysteriously disappears for a few days (or even a couple of weeks) then comes back. I can't even specifically relate it to any particular foods - eating versus not-eating. Possibly alcohol and pizza aggravate it. I THINK what's happening with me is that I get acidic for a few days (hot breath I call it!) then after a few days of that I get the weird pain. But this is a different pain than the original pain that they thought might be gallbladder or pancreas. Do I have a few different stomach problems???

Good luck to you - sounds like you have more answers than I do.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

So far the way your test results are developing, you are going to get labeled as having IBS. I have pains all over at times but most of the time it's URQ to LRQ pain. You may want to start a dairy on what you eat and how you feel. Maybe something will pop up.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
(female)

weez HB User

Wouldn't surprise me at all! Actually when I was strickly following the South Beach Diet - my pains, acid and symptoms in general went away. I slipped up about 3 days ago and now some of the symptoms are back. I've got to get back on it!

The pains are in a specific area about the size of an apple and feel like little electric shocks/stabs. Weird!

Closed Thread