It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

Socagrl HB User
RIght side back pain-all the way up! OUCH

has anyone had this before and also felt some pain the RUQ as well, what does it sound like to you? I have also had diarrhea and heartburn, but the worst of it all is the back pain on the right side that starts at the back bottom of my ribs and goes all the way up my back. it hurts so bad

I just had my abdominal US last week and it was all normal so was my blood work.

Any ideas?

thanks everyone

Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
(female)

jaclynleiz HB User
Re: RIght side back pain-all the way up! OUCH

the pain sounds like your gallbladder. does it come and go?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

Socagrl HB User

the pain/burning up the back is almost constant now and the RUQ pain/tenderness gets worse sometimes more than others and seems to wrap around to the side/back flank area. i also get diarrhea-sometimes yellow. my US was normal- no gallstones, just had one last week. all my labs were normal too.

any ideas?

Old 10-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: RIght side back pain-all the way up! OUCH

Hi there - I know I've posted numerous times on this subject before, but I'll say it again - a normal US does not necessarily mean a normal gall bladder. You have the classic GB symptoms of back pain, yellow stool, and RUQ pain. If this was once an occasional symptom that has now become daily and debilitating, welcome to my world 8 years ago. Normal US (had 2 done over the course of 8 months) and 2 "normal" hida scans.

However, my surgeon knew it was my GB and to make sure insurance would pay for the surgery, he sent me to another doc for a 2nd opinion. She didn't even run any tests - she took my temp (101), talked about my symptoms (RUQ pain - constant; sharp, stabbing pains during or after a meal, nausesa, vomiting, pain between the shoulder blades, weight loss, fatigue, general "ill" feeling all the time, diarrhea, yellow stools), and then when she pushed on the GB area I about jumped off the table in pain!

Three days later I had lap GB surgery - turns out it was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue indicating repeated "attacks". The surgeon said he didn't know why my hida scans were still "normal", but the gall bladder was definitely diseased. My whole sordid story is posted on this site several times.

Keep pushing for some answers from someone who will take the time to discuss your symptoms, not just run a couple tests and say "it's nothing" or "everything's come back normal."

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 10-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

cheer up HB User

Katie is right -- sounds like gall bladder to me, too! Mine was taken out a few months ago for somewhat the same symptoms. I had a few little stones diagnosed on ultra sound, one big "attack" that they THOUGHT was GB related, and some aching and a little back pain plus general digestive distress I had not previously had.

When I finally agreed to have the surgery, I was getting worse. Surgeon said afterwards there was LOTS of scar tissue and I had obviously had attacks I didn't even recognize as such!

I agree with Katie -- get another opinion and don't let them insist it can't be gall bladder just because they don't see stones. Even a normal HIDA scan (mine was normal) doesn't necessarily mean anything. You know how you feel -- and the rest of your symptoms are "classic."

Let us know what you find out.

Closed Thread