It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Questions about ulcers

Hello:

I have been having stomach problems. I went to a doctor and he was not sure what I had. I have started on Protonix.

I have been having pain/burning in my stomach. It is my understanding that ulcers cause a gnawing pain in the chest area, which I do not have. The pain seems to get worse after I eat. I also get pain at night.

I also have had weight loss, but no decrease in appetite.

Has anyone had weight loss with no decrease in appetite with an ulcer?

Has anyone had ulcers, but not had pain in the chest area or not had gnawing pain?

How long does it take Protonix to start working?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Questions about ulcers

Protonix is a timed released PPI and is used for stomach and erosion problems of esophagus. It is usually given for 8 weeks.
Ulcers in the stomach are usually better after eating and are caused by H.pylori bacteria in 80% of the cases and the others by erosion. You may have inflammation of the stomach--- like Gastritis.
I don't know about the weight loss??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #3

cathy52 HB User
Re: Questions about ulcers

I've had weight loss with no change in appetite...32 pounds over the last eight months. I don't have pain in the chest area either but do have pain in my upper back and shoulders that I had attributed to tension. I realize now that, that pain is worse after eating something that irritates my stomach. I experience small, pin like pains in my abdomen but nothing severe or like I thought one would experience with an ulcer. I only get pain after I eat if have eaten something that is irritating and I have had the burning sensations in my throat and upper chest..way far up close to my throat.

I have been on protonix for about 8 weeks with no relief at all from it. I just continued to feel worse and worse. I was finally diagnosed with H-pylori and started treatment for that 2 days ago. The prevacid that comes with that treatment has really relieved a lot of the discomfort for me.

If you haven't been tested for the H-pylori bacteria I would suggest you ask your Dr. about it. Good luck!
Cathy

Closed Thread