It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User
Sedative for an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy

What kind of sedative do they use for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy.
I have to have both done on November 4th.
The doctor says he will give me meds to help me sleep right through it and both tests should take about 30 minutes total.

Are you actually asleep or just kind of in a daze and don't know what is going on?

What does it make you feel like as soon as they give you the sedative?
Is it given as a shot or in an iv? How long does it take to go into effect.

Sorry about so many questions I am just very scared.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

dbaum HB User
Re: Sedative for an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy

I was given a demerol substitute (forgot the name) and then Versed. Most people are fine with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Must be nice. I was wide awake for my colonoscopy. I even watched it on the tv the doctor brought in.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #4
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User

Actually how big is the tubing they use for the endoscopy and the colonoscopy?
what do you mean when you say you're not asleep but your completely out of it?

Old 10-30-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

you're not actually asleep... but, you won't remember anything.... it's weird to explain... but thats exactly what they mean.... i've had this kind of sedative twice... the first time i remember the first 5 seconds of the procedure, but then when i came to, it felt like it has been only 5 seconds.... the second time, i did kind of come to in the middle of the colonoscopy and i did scream in pain.. and they shot me with more of the medicine, and i was okay.... really this kind of sedative is fine... you won't remember anything, and it will feel like you are completely out, and when you actually come to, it will feel like it took 2 seconds....
research this kind of sedation

if they give you versed....
here is a little paragraph i found
VERSED is an injectable sedative that has a variety of uses, depending on its dosage and administration. It can be used as a light sedative to help alleviate a childís anxiety before a therapeutic or diagnostic procedure, as well as to allow the child to forget what happened during the period of sedation; as a mild to moderate sedative to cause a deeper state of sedation; and as a part of general anesthesia during surgery. Intravenous VERSED also can be administered by continuous infusion to children in critical care settings.

they will probably also give you demerol... which is a pain reliever.....
they injected both right into my iv too as someone else mentioned....

you can call your doctor like someone mentioned.... and they can give you something like valium to help you calm down the night before...

i was actually so nervous about it on the table, and the doctor was taking forever, one of the nurses called him and asked if she could give me a shot of something to calm me down... he said no because he was on his way, but they do even have stuff like that...

don't worry about the procedure

anyone will tell you the prep is the worst part.. taking the laxatives... spending the whole day in the bathroom... is HARD!
if you can make it through that, you'll do just fine
seriously!

Old 10-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi jhamilton -

I had to have a colonoscopy and then two months later have an endoscopy. I was EXTREMELY nervous about the sedative too. I get really horrible migraines the kind with an aura which makes you feel like you are going to stroke out so I was worried I would have a reaction to the sedative. They gave me demerol and valium mix I think. Anyway when they gave it to me for the colonoscopy I remembered most of it but it wasn't painful. When the sedative first went in my vision blurred for two seconds then I just felt very relaxed. There was ever so slight discomfort as they rounded a bend in my colon but they warned me. It was nothing. I did not sleep when I got home and felt actually better than I had in months. Relaxed.

The endoscopy was a bit different. I don't remember most of it. I think he gave me a little more. I think it was an i.v. They put a little thing in my mouth to bite on so that they could slip the tube through (it was a small tube - i do remember that) I was so relaxed. I had small lapses in memory. It went by so fast. What a relief! I went home and slept a bit but for me it wasn't all day.

I was so stressed before both these tests and for me they were both so much easier than I anticipated. I have a really great doctor and I trust him so that helped.

I found out later that what I am dealing with is lyme disease so it could be that I processed the sedatives a bit differently than others.

Try not to worry. I know it is hard. It will be fine and afterwards you will have piece of mind that everything has been checked out.

-ncgirl88

Old 10-30-2004, 09:39 PM   #7

Allinasmile HB User

I had the endoscopy done about a month ago and I was completely asleep. They gave me the medicine through an IV and I was so upset for having to have this done that I kept fighting sleep and never would go to sleep, so finally they gave me more medicine through the IV and I finally drifted off the la la land. I do remember waking up suddenly gagging and when I was in the recovery room I thought I had only been there for only a few short minutes, but the nurses assured me I had been there for atleast an hour. My throat wasn't even sore afterwards, but I was real groggy from the sedation. I hope all goes well with you on Nov. 4th. You'll do just fine. You'll be glad you got it over with.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #8

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User

Don't worry about the sedation, the laxative and pootin' all day is the hard part. The sedative is very relaxing, you will try to stay awake but won't be able to. when you wake up you feel like it was only seconds since you closed your eyes. It's almost like you're hypnotized and time stands still. Anyway if you have kids or a stressfull life don't fight the sedation it will be the most peaceful moment you will have had in a while.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Yep, It's the cleanout that's the bummer with a colonoscopy.

They gave me something (I forget the name)...anyway, might as well be M&M's:
"Doc, would you back up a little...I think I saw something that might have beeen a polyp."
TV screen was KEWL...but not quite as fab as my angiogram and stent...that was LOTS of TV screens...and I LOVE good TV.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #10

Moonbeamdarlene HB User

Had a Endo done today, they gave me demoral and versid, didn't feel a thing, got real relaxed and then next thing I knew, it was over. The procedure took about 15 minutes, I was probebly asleep 25 minutes total. I was a little groggy for awhile, came home took a hour nap. I have a slight sore throat but not bad. A small Hiatus Hernia was found, and Dr took biopsy for H Pylori. I've been sick for 3 months now, he thinks I probebly had some Gastritis and inflamation that may have healed also. Really....there was nothing to it, numbed my throat, asked me to swallow the tube and thats the last I remember.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Could you swallow the tube without gagging? That is the part I'm most nervous about!!! I am deathly afraid of vomitting, and gagging is a close second!

Old 11-03-2004, 06:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Well... I'll say, that with mine, I remember the first 5 seconds when i started to try and puke the tube back up... But then, I was out like a light and don't remember anything... Honestly, that was kinda bad... But overall, it was an easy experience..... Seriously, you shouldn't worry about that stuff at all! It should be about the prep... Because that stinks, no pun intended..... You'll do fine with the procedure, just follow the preperation instructions very carefully, and don't forget them, like one person said he drank coffee the morning of... That kind of forgetfulness could leave you with a preperation completed, and a doctor not wanting to give you the procedure..... They say don't eat or drink for a reason....

Old 12-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Had 3 endoscopies and i colonoscopy done,piece of cake.I was out like a light.No throat spray for me just an iv and i was goneeee.Best nap i had in along time.Got myself all worked up for nothing.Good luck with the tests.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #14
(female)

lee carl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl88
Hi jhamilton -

I had to have a colonoscopy and then two months later have an endoscopy. I was EXTREMELY nervous about the sedative too. I get really horrible migraines the kind with an aura which makes you feel like you are going to stroke out so I was worried I would have a reaction to the sedative. They gave me demerol and valium mix I think. Anyway when they gave it to me for the colonoscopy I remembered most of it but it wasn't painful. When the sedative first went in my vision blurred for two seconds then I just felt very relaxed. There was ever so slight discomfort as they rounded a bend in my colon but they warned me. It was nothing. I did not sleep when I got home and felt actually better than I had in months. Relaxed.

The endoscopy was a bit different. I don't remember most of it. I think he gave me a little more. I think it was an i.v. They put a little thing in my mouth to bite on so that they could slip the tube through (it was a small tube - i do remember that) I was so relaxed. I had small lapses in memory. It went by so fast. What a relief! I went home and slept a bit but for me it wasn't all day.

I was so stressed before both these tests and for me they were both so much easier than I anticipated. I have a really great doctor and I trust him so that helped.

I found out later that what I am dealing with is lyme disease so it could be that I processed the sedatives a bit differently than others.

Try not to worry. I know it is hard. It will be fine and afterwards you will have piece of mind that everything has been checked out.

-ncgirl88

Old 05-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
(female)

sarahg HB User

Re tubing for Endoscopy. Don't worry about it...it is not big. You will be quite likely also asked to eigher gurgle with "freezing" liquid or spray into your troat so your throat will be relaxed. After that you will also get Demeral and believe me, you will actually walk out of there quite "happy". Make sure that you have someone to take you home...you would not be able to drive because of sedatives.

I had two endoscopies in my life. First was without anything and it was absolutely horrible (40 years ago in Europe). I was very very affraid to have another one, but walked out of the hospital in better mood then I came in (thanks to medication/sedative).

After you have your experience behind you, please post for other readers so they can learn from it. Good luck.

Closed Thread