It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #1

wcj HB User
Fatigue & Ulcer

Is excessive fatigue a part of having a bleeding ulcer? I'm experiencing fatigue and complete exhaustion that is getting to the point of being debilitating. I'm also having chest pains. Oddly enough, my blood count is normal.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #2

cathy52 HB User
Re: Fatigue & Ulcer

It has been for me!! I started feeling unwell about 8 months ago. Heartburn and minor stomach pains and periods of exhaustion. I am to the point now that I'm spending most of my days in bed or in front of the TV due to the fatigue. I was diagnosed...finally...this week with H-pylori and have started treatment.

My blood work showed that I was "slightly anemic" but my Dr. refused to treat it...said it wasn't bad enough to warrant treatment. I have chest pains but my pain seems to concentrate mainly in my upper back.

Eight years ago I had the same experience with H-pylori, same symptoms and everything. It took a couple of months of treatment and recovery but I did get better. This time is worse because it took them so long to diagnose it.

I know what you are feeling though and if you are anything like me the fatigue a frightening. I can have a day when my energy levels are up and bit and will involve myself in normal, every day routines like laundry, cleaning house or shopping and then the next day I'm almost unable to raise my head off my pillow.

What kind of treatment are you getting?
Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi wcj -

I had horrible digestive issues, horrible fatigue, dizziness, low blood pressure, low body temperature, insomnia, chest pains, GERD the list goes on forever but it turns out I have lyme disease with a coinfection of babesiosis. Read my posts or check out the lyme board if you suspect you may have it. My chest hurt so badly I saw a cardiologist.

I don't remember a tick bite nor did I have a bulls eye rash.

Take care and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

-ncgirl88

Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 PM   #4

wcj HB User

Thanks for the feedback. Cathy, I'm not receiving any treatment right now other than Previcid. The Doc is still doing tests to try to determine the cause. BMs indicate some possible bleeding inside, so we're considering a bleeding ulcer. I'm not having much heartburn but the fatigue is to the point sometimes that just putting one foot in front of the other seems impossible. I get home and just collapse onto the sofa.

NCgirl, I'm particularly interested in your situation because I'm also having the dizziness/lightheadedness and my BP has dropped 12%. All this combined has made me consider maybe congestive heart failure. I guess we'll be looking at that after the gastro stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for the posts and Cathy, I hope you get better. I know how frightening the fatigue issue is, not to mention depressing. What kind of treatment are you getting?

Hang in there.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Extreme exhaustion after doing very little is a common symptom with an ulcer as well as many viruses and illnesses.
The good thing that has come along in just less than 8 years is that about 80% of ulcers ar caused by a bacteria --- H.pylori --- and can be cured with proper treatment in several weeks--- not months like it use to be!!!

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread