It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
How long does it take for your stomach to heal?

I had problems starting September of 2003. Partly due to stess but mostly due to years of using Advil for muscle pain. Chest pains so deep it was radiating out to my mid back. I thought it was the heart at first but after several weeks my MD said it was the stomach. Also had a bit of excess acid in my throat in the morning and a feeling of nausea most of the time. The cure was Prevacid, twice daily, no more coffee, no more Advil, and no eating before bed. I am almost discomfort free right now with occasional slight stomach discomfort in the mornings.. A few months ago I felt so good I started drinking coffee again. Just one cup a day. After just a few weeks I felt like 2003 again, but fortunately I knw what to do and after a couple of months I am better. It is unbelievable to me what one cup of coffee a day could do and that up until late 2003 I never had a problem with it.
Will I ever be able to drink coffee again? Is this the kind of damage that never heals?

Old 11-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User
Re: How long does it take for your stomach to heal?

I have been wondering the same thing! I have erosive gastritis and Barrett's Esohagus - just diagnosed with Barrett's about 2 months ago. My stomach really had bothered me very little - just a dull ache off and on for about 3 weeks before I had my stomach checked. My blood platelets have been elevated for some time and I knew that I had been diagnosed with gastritis 5 years ago. I had hoped that the inflamation of the Gastritis was causing my platelets to be elevated - but unfortunately my gastro doctor says no. My stomach feels worse since the endoscopy than it had ever felt before! I woudn't dare lie down too soon after a meal now. Matter of fact, I wonder if that could be the main cause of my esophagus problem. (Any thoughts on this, anyone?)
With the busy lives most of us lead, my husband and I have tended to eat supper later than we should - not giving enough time before bedtime. Now if I eat a bit late I just sleep in the recliner (or sitting up on the couch!) for a while before going to bed. I wouldn't dare dring a carbonated drink now and I'm afraid to drink coffee. I rarely drink anything other than water these days... Does anyone out there have the answer to the question "How long does it take for your stomach to heal?" Best Wishes and hope your healing is soon! Sapphire

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 08:13 AM   #3

Moonbeamdarlene HB User
Re: How long does it take for your stomach to heal?

My stomach probs started after a family trauma, the very same day infact. It took 4 months for mine to heal. I tried all the PPI's, which made my stomach worse. I ate nothing but crackers, rice, chicken broth, for 3 1/2 months, I drank only water also. I had a scope done and the only thing they found was a small Hiatus Hernia. I started getting better a couple weeks ago and can now eat regular food again. I found for me, the best things were to keep busy and not to reseach the heck out of the whole thing on this computer. How can you get better If you are living the problem?. It takes a long time for digestive problems to heal. I kept telling myself that and I kept telling myself it IS GOING TO HEAL, and I started replacing all negative thoughts with positive ones. I take 150 mg of Zantac twice a day and I take 250 mg Magnesium twice a day and I'm much better. Hang in there, it really does get better!.

Closed Thread