It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User
Waking up from my endoscopy/colonoscopy

I had the dreaded endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday that I have been fearing for the last 2 weeks.
The nurse numbed my throat with numbing spray that tasted NASTY!!!
Then the doctor started putting two injections into my iv. When he put the first one it it made my head feel fuzzy and I started to get a little dizzy. As soon as he started putting in the second injection that is all I remember, everything went black.
Next thing I know I remember hearing the nurse say to my husband why don't you go get the car and pull it around front for us.
When they brought me into the recovery room after the procedure my husband says he was waiting there for him, they called him on the waiting room phone and told him what room to go to. The nurse told him he could try to wake me and if he couldn't wake me up then she would bring me a shot to help me wake up. They said it took almost 45 minutes to wake me up and get me to sit up after shaking me and talking to me.
Is this normal? Why was it so hard for me to wake up, it scares me like I had a bad reaction the the meds. I pretty much don't remember anything else after that until we got home. My husband says we stopped at drug store to pick up his prescription which I don't remember at all. He also says when the nurse gave me the shot and woke me up I started talking about all kinds of weird stuff. He said I said something about we need to turn right here to go to the doctor.
The doctor couldn't find anything wrong. He talked to my husband, I wish I was awake where I could have talked to him to but I guess I was really out of it.
He said my colon was fine, he took a small biopsy of my colon. And my esophagus and stomach were fine, no ulcers, no damage, and he took a biopsy of my duodenum. I feel kind of heavy around the middle today and kind of bloated. Is that normal too?
Next is a HIDA scan. I had an ultrasound done a few days ago and they couldn't see my gallbladder, the doc said I could have been born without one (which he said is very rare) or it is very contracted under my liver and they couldn't see it.
I haven't been able to eat right for 3 months. Anyone who has read my previous posts knows what I have been going through. I thought since the food hasn't been going down too well and getting "stuck" that my esophagus might be narrowed but he said everything looked fine. I still get bloated, have lots of gas all the time, bloat up as soon as I eat 2 bites of food, and I always have this burning feeling like hearburn kind of around my belly button area, and I have frequent diarreah and nausea.
I am having all these tests done and no one can find what is wrong. Could this be my gallbladder, all these symptoms?
I'm sorry this post is so long but I am really scared! I just want to find what it is and get it fixed. Someone please help!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
Re: Waking up from my endoscopy/colonoscopy

I still don't remember much after waking up from my endos' I've had 4 of them in the last 6 months. I only remember opening up my eyes once in recovery. The next I remember from all of them was being in my hospital room. I was a patient in the hospital for all of them for my illness. The galbladder can be a tricky organ with oddd symptoms. Good luck to you.

Last edited by vamp36; 11-05-2004 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot some words - oops

Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

dammit jh i really feel bad for you.. .. this can't be possible that the docs didn't find nothing wrong, i mean feeling like you do is really not normal and, a sign that somtin is wrong..somtin that can be fixed of course..how did he find your duodenum..maybe its that, how many biopsies did he take and, at how many places..???
let me know..

ill be back

Old 11-06-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User

The report that I got from the doctor says that my duodenum looked normal and that it was biopsied. It doesn't say more than that. He also took a biopsy of my small colon.
I have been sore ever since. He put me also on an antibiotic just it case he says there was an infection somewhere that we missed.
He called me yesterday to let me know how everything went and said that I didn't have a bad reaction to the sedative, just that it lasts about 2 to 3 hours and since they try to get patients in and out as quickly as possible they had to wake me up quickly with a shot because I would have slept for a couple of hours until it wore off otherwise.
He said he didn't find anything out of the ordinary but he said with the weight loss I've had isn't typically normal of the gallbladder but it still could be. He told my husband while I was still "out" that there was no damage and that we would keep testing until we found what was going on.
It is just still very weird to me though how they couldn't see my gallbladder on the ultrasound. He said I could have be born without one (rare), my gallbladder is really really contracted or it has contracted up into my liver.
The HIDA scan hopefully will show what is going on.
Has anyone ever had a HIDA scan? I am nervous about the radioactive dye. I found out both my parents are allergic to radioactive iodine. I don't know if that is what they will use or not.

Thanks for all of your support.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

EosLady HB User

Glad the doctor was able to answer your questions about the anesthesia...

As far as the dye, I have had dye several times for CT, MRI, and some other type of CT to look at the inside of my small intestine... Because I did not know if I was allergic to the dye, they give me Benadryl with it to ease any possible reaction.. There is also another dye they have used on occasion that does not have the Iodine in it...

Your symptoms sound a lot like allergic disease processes that go along with Eosinophilic disease... Everything looks great in the GI tract, but the biopsies tell a different story.. I will be looking forward to hearing the results of the biopsies....

You might want to ask you doctor about Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis (EGID Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal Disease). Not something they typically look for, but causes a variety of symptoms.. Can't hurt to ask...

Hope those biopsies do provide some answers or clues..

Judy in Wa

Old 11-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #6

Allinasmile HB User

There isn't a dye involved with a hida scan. I had one 3 weeks ago and its tracers and medicines injected through an iv. I posted my whole experience of the hida scan on another thread when someone was asking about the hida scan, if it would help, go there and read.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Jhamilton -

After reading this post I really think you need to be tested for lyme and coinfections. Lyme can make you process medication much differently than you normally would. I did not stay asleep like you did after the my endoscopy and colonoscopy. Yikes that is scary. Having lyme can make you a 100X more sensitive to meds than normal.

It just sounds like my story all over again...having the endoscopy and the colonoscopy and they kept telling me everything looks fine...meanwhile I am losing weight, have severe nausea practically all the time, no appetite, then I read about that weakness in the back of your legs - i have had that frequently off and on all through my illness with Lyme and coinfections.

Please check out the lyme board.

-ncgirl88

Old 11-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #8

hmdoyle00 HB User

What testing did you have done to diagnose your lyme? I had a doc once who thought I might have lyme and did a lot of testing that came back normal. Just curious how you know that you have it because I know that testing can be tricky.

Closed Thread