It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #1

Not-An-Alco HB User
Severe Stomach Pain after drinking Alcohol (Small Amounts)

Hello to everyone out there!

I am in desperate need of some answers...

I am a 21y.o. Male, roughly 58kg's, and i guess you'd call me short for my age.

I have been able to go out most weekends since I was 16 for a few social drinks with friends, or off to a party, or whatever was the plan for the weekend. I'd always wake up feeling a bit worse for wear the next day but survived no worries.

But, for the last 6 months or so, whenever I drink alcohol I always end up feeling severly sick in the stomach. (I say stomach, however the pain comes from about 3cm below my belly button, is this still the stomach??)
I can go to the pub on a Friday arvo with a few mates from work and drink 3 - 4 scooners of beer over roughly 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I then start feeling the affects (light-headed, no pain) and stop drinking and head home. No problem there, I will feel fine that night and be feeling great when I wake up the next morning.

However, it would seem that when I drink more then say 6 - 7 beers, my stomach starts feeling sick and I know its time to stop drinking. If I continue drinking it will most likely result in me feeling worse and worse until I vomit.

My 21st birthday was roughly 6 weeks ago now. We hired a houseboat for 2 nights. The first day I started drinking at lunch time and drank until roughly 12 that night. I paced myself and didn't over-do it, and was drunk but not excessively drunk when I went to bed. The next day I was in terrible pain from the minute I woke up, till I finally go to sleep that night. The next day I woke up feeling perfect...not a thing wrong, but now my birthday is over and everyone's packing up to go home.

I haven't been out drinking excessively until last Tuesday - Melbourne Cup Day. I got to the races at 12pm and was planning on staying till 6 / 7pm then going to a club for a few hours, and then hopefully home by 12am. I started drinking at roughly 1pm till 5pm, and drank about 6 stubbies. By 5pm my stomach had had enough, and was telling me no more beer, bring on some water... so after a few waters, I wasn't feeling any better, and didn't feel like I could drink anymore. A few hours later it got worse, and by 9pm I went home feeling pretty sick, which got worse, and by 12am i was in bed rolling around in pain again. (Just like my birthday).
I was suppose to work the next day but woke at 4am still suffering from excrusiating pain in my stomach, which kept up till around 2pm Wednesday.

As soon as I felt able to wait at the doctors, I went straight down.

The doctor prescribed some tablets called 'Somac 40'. She is under the impression that I have some sort of 'graze' on my stomach, similar to an ulcer but not quite that bad (just yet). The tablets are suppose to dilute the acid in the stomach so that it does not inflame the wound. After 3 weeks of taking these tablets the wound is suppose to have enough time to heal itself naturally.

My dad's dad, and my mum's dad, both suffered from stomach ulcers, so there is a family history of suffering from these.

I have changed my diet dramatically in the last week. I never use to eat fruit, eat minimal amounts of vegetables, and didn't drink much milk. I do drink more then enough water though. I am now eating fresh fruit and vege's daily, taking a diatry supplement tablet once a day, and drinking a glass of milk per day.

After 3 weeks I have been told to try drinking my usual safe limit of 4 beers to see how I feel. Then the next week drink 6 beers to see if I get sick or not.

Does anyone have any other idea's about what might be wrong with my stomach? (If it is the stomach thats got the problem?)
I never ever get this type of pain unless I have been drinking, and the pain is extreme! To the point where i'm laying in bed rolling around moaning...

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to sit and read all of this.

Last edited by Not-An-Alco; 11-10-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #2

Not-An-Alco HB User
Re: Severe Stomach Pain after drinking Alcohol (Small Amounts)

C'mon........ Surely someone out there can shed some light on this for me??
Please! The Mrs isn't happy that we can't go out for a few drinks anymore

Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Okay... I would say that there is a pretty easy solution.. It's caused by drinking, so don't drink.. I mean seriously, if its bothersome to you, to the point where you get onto a healthboard forum, it's something that you don't really need... Alcohol isn't the best thing in the world....

But... Here is something you probably want to hear more... Many many people have pain when they drink alcohol, and wake up the next morning w/ what is commonly known as "beer craps"... going upwards of 10 times the day after drinking.... And they aren't people who have a "digestive disorder"....

I mean especially if you have a history of stomach ulcers in your family, what's the point of drinking? For the buzz? To fit in? Can't you just get a Rum and Coke MINUS THE RUM.....?

You could continue to drink, and prolong your pain, or stop drinking, and diminish the syptoms.. Your choice.. You aren't going to find the answer here, you're going to find it within yourself.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #4

Not-An-Alco HB User

Thanks for the response bulletinboard25.

"I mean especially if you have a history of stomach ulcers in your family, what's the point of drinking? For the buzz? To fit in? Can't you just get a Rum and Coke MINUS THE RUM.....?"

The point is... i'm only 21 years old and quite enjoy going out for a few social drinks... how much fun is it going to be going out to a club or pub and drinking straight coke?

"But... Here is something you probably want to hear more... Many many people have pain when they drink alcohol, and wake up the next morning w/ what is commonly known as "beer craps"... going upwards of 10 times the day after drinking.... And they aren't people who have a "digestive disorder"...."

Just about everyone experiences a hang-over when they drink heavily... the point that i'm trying to get accross is that drinking 6 beers in 5 hours isn't exactly what you'd call a heavy drinking session now is it? Most people wouldn't have to have the next day off work while laying in bed all night rolling around in pain either...

So nobody has any idea what could possibly cause this sort of problem?
I hit 21 years of age and thats it? Just have to stop drinking with no real answer as to whats the problem? If I don't know whats wrong, i'm not going to be able to give my body any sort of help to get over this!

Last edited by Not-An-Alco; 11-10-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

"6 beers in 5 hours isn't exactly what you'd call a heavy drinking session now is it? Most people wouldn't have to have the next day off work while laying in bed all night rolling around in pain either"

not trying to be rude here... but the solution seems really simple... stop drinking...

SOME people just can NOT tolerate alcohol at all.... thats why SOME people who drink a certain amount MAY black out, whereas others DIE from alcohol poisoining, EVERYONE is different....

those that do not sit in bed rolling around in pain are not YOU, YOU are different...

again your choice.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #6

Not-An-Alco HB User

Thanks again for the response bulletinboard25.

But the point that i'm trying to get accross to you is that I understand some people cannot tolerate alcohol like other people can, but WHY is this the case!?!
And WHY is it only the case after 5 years of me being able to go out for a few social drinks on the weekend??
I would like to know the CAUSE of WHY its making me feel so sick, so that hopefully something can be done to help.

Its really easy to just say don't drink alcohol... but at 21 i dont see why I should have a problem with it.

(P.S - Have I posted in the right section of the forum? Or might I get more answers by posting in another section? Cheers.)

Last edited by Not-An-Alco; 11-11-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Closed Thread