It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 AM   #1

curlyroller HB User
HIDA scan results. when should it be surgery?

i got the results of my HIDA scan yesterday, because i happened to be in my GP's office. the test showed that my gallbladder is only functioning at 19%. i'm going in for endoscopy this morning and i assume my gastro will discuss the results with me then.

my question is this: when is surgery indicated? what is the treatment for underfunctioning gallbladder?

right now, i'm not in agony all the time, but i do have pain. i especially have tenderness in the upper right quadrant. i have pain after some meals, but not excruciating pain. does this mean that surgery isn't indicated for me? will it get worse?

rachel.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #2

Allinasmile HB User
Re: HIDA scan results. when should it be surgery?

I would wait and find out what the doctor says about surgery. My Hida Scan showed my gallbladder function at 5% and I am having surgery tomorrow to be removed and I never noticed any pain in my right quadrant, my pain is always in my breastbone or stomach and have only been nasuea a few times. If your doctor seems to think it needs to be removed, then I would have it removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 02:32 AM   #3

curlyroller HB User
Re: HIDA scan results. when should it be surgery?

when i went to the endo, he thought that it was likely either my gallbladder or an ulcer/other stomach problem. i had a HIDA scan to check the gallbladder function, which came back at 19%.

well, i had my endoscopy yesterday to check out the stomach. he said that everything looked good. he's putting me on aciphex for 2 weeks to see if that helps my symptoms any. if it doesn't, then he's sure its my gallbladder. he also said that he thinks i will probably need surgery for the gallbladder.

Closed Thread