It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

GirlinWayside HB User
Question Chest pain and tightness in neck

I'll try to make this short as possible because I know that people tend not to read long posts. I have been having these symptoms for quite some time. I have been to see a cardiologist and was diagnosed with PVC's and PAC's. But he tends to think that my problems now are NOT heart related. I have been having chest pains and tightness in my neck on the left side. I also have severe heartburn and sometimes reflux - all times day or night - not eveyday but most everyday. What has promted me to think it could be digestive is the other day I was having chest pains and a little while later I ended up throwing up my lunch (sorry, TMI) and the chest pains subsided for a while.
I guess what I really need to know is has anyone else ever had tightness in your neck due to digestive disorders?? If so, were you diagnosed with something inparticular??

Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 AM   #2

imvic46 HB User
Re: Chest pain and tightness in neck

Hi There,
I had the same symptoms as you. I had heartburn for years treated with over the counter meds. After a while, they stopped working. I started having the tightness in the chest and left side of throat. I went to the hospital thinking it was my heart. I also had night reflux and spasms that I thought we heart palpitations. ( they actually were). Anyway.....the hospital said they thought it was a problem in my GI tract. I was diagnosed with GERD. I now take Nexium and all symptoms have subsided about 90%. I also have IBS constipation which aggrevates my symptoms. Try the medicine Prilocec OTC for two weeks. I think you will see a dramatic difference. If not go get an UPPER GI done. It will diagnose you. JBy the way.....The tightness in chest and throat is from swollen esophagus. Just out of curiosity..do you have problems with your sinuses as well? And how about anxiety? Let me know how you do.
Vickey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

GirlinWayside HB User

Hey Vickey, thanks so much for your reply. It really eases my mind knowing that someone else has had the tightness in the neck and chest like I have been having. I was starting to get ****** at my cardiologist - I was thinking he was just sending me back to my FP because I owed him some money! Ive had these symptoms since 2002. I got pregnent in May 2003 and they kinda came and went for the next year. they have just now started getting worse again - they started while I was on the Atkins diet - now IM guessing the extra fats in my diet aggravated the condition.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #4

imvic46 HB User

Fats usually tend to aggrevate gallbladder conditions. Stay away from chocolate, coffee, soda, (anything with caffiene) and spicy foods. Dont eat for 3 hours before going to bed, and raise the head of your bed by about 6 inches . Acid belongs in your stomach, not your esophagus, and can cause serious damage to it. Please try the prilosec.It is not nearly as strong as Nexium (perscription), but if it works you will at least know what you are dealing with. Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor which keeps the acid where it belongs. Even if you dont feel the acid (burn), you could still be regurgitating in your sleep. It all sucks!!!!! It took me four years of going to emergency rooms to finally find a diagnosis. Hope this helps
Vickey

Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #5

lannen HB User

Hey Girls. I too get the tightness in my chest and throat. I do have issues with my sinuses and since all of this digestive crap has started (almost 3 yrs ago) I find myself feeling anxious as well. I do find that Prevacid has helped wite a bit. Protonix did not work for me at all. Vicky, I'm curious as to why you asked about sinuses and anxiety? Is there some correlation?

Old 12-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #6

imvic46 HB User

There is absolutely a connection. What happens is that when your reflux at night, the acid goes all the way up into the sinuses and burns them. You might not feel it, but trust me, it is happening!!!! You might notice very white sinus drainage in the back of your throat, or feel like one passage is blocked. Do either of you get the (GERD Lump) sensation that something is stuck in your throat? I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure why most people with GERD also have anxiety, but they do. I take Xanax for that. I find myself anxious more when I am worrying about all of the stupid symptoms that GERD causes. I am a little scared about the test I am getting on Monday. I am hoping that it all comes out OK. I have found that Nexium has worked the best for me to stay symptom free so far. Also as I said, I have IBS too. So if I dont keep all of the GI tract functioning properly.(bowels included) my symptoms are horrible. I cant digest anything without reflux. I have so far been symptom free for the past 4 weeks. That is for the first time in a year. I took prevacid for a year and the symptoms returned. Nexium is great!!! Im not trying to play doctor here girls. Just telling you my experiences. Also....raising the head of the bed really helps a lot.
Vickey

Closed Thread