It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #1

Gareth_rogers HB User
Question Post nissen fundoplication questions

Hi, for those of you that have had the nissen fundoplication
performed. Other than the obvious symptom of getting food stuck - what other symptoms did you have that caused you to get the LES scretched ?

I am getting lots of gas (gas pains), and also contant air comming up (not burps). I can burp occasionaly but nothing like before. I also still get food stuck if I eat to fast. I had the surgery 6 months ago...

Old 01-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Post nissen fundoplication questions

Hi there - I had Nissan done back in 2001. To this day, I still cannot burp well, and trapped gas HURTS!!!!! And yes, if I try to eat too fast, food will get stuck on the way down, and I have to vomit it back up.

However, if food gets all the way to the stomach, I cannot vomit it. That's been a big downer when I've had a stomach virus and all I wanted to do was hang my head over the toilet bowl to feel better. However, if food/liquid reaches the stomach, I can only dry heave.

I had the LES stretched 6 mos after surgery, but that's been it. I don't want to take any chances on allowing the reflux to start up again, so will live with the problems of difficulty burping/vomiting.

Katie G

The following user gives a hug of support to Katie G:
blueboing101 (02-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Katie G For This Useful Post:
ruth mchardy (06-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #3

Gareth_rogers HB User
Re: Post nissen fundoplication questions

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Not to get to personal but where do you get the gas trapped ? I get a lot of gas trapped in the intestines....it just sits there and hurts like heck.......as soon as I exercise out it comes.......I was thinking that maybe by bowels are going on me, but then it could be the extra gas from the fundo....

Old 01-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again - don't worry about being too personal on this board - it's one of the best places to vent and spill our guts (no pun intended).

Anyway - my gas gets trapped initially at mid-chest level causing severe chest pain - like a heart attack would feel I suppose. Sometimes the gas even causes esophgeal spasms and heart flutters which eventually move on down. Yes, I get intestinal pain too, and the only was to expel it is through the bottom end. I've had to learn to accept flatulence as a way of life and try not to be too embarrassed by it.

Eat slowly, chew thoroughly and don't gulp liquids - this may reduce your gas problems. Otherwise, gas after fundo is the nature of the beast.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 01-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
(male)

gavntricia HB User

Hi i have had a hellers and nissans i have Triple A syndrome and thankfully i do not get trapped gas whic causes a problem thugh this could be helped by the fact i get OGD every 6 months
I had my hellers early 90's and my nissans late 90's

hope you feel abit better ask any questions nothings personal ask away

Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #6

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi, what is a OGD ??

Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #7
(male)

gavntricia HB User

Hi i have had the nissans done in 1997-98 before that i had a hellers something or other 6-8 years previously. I fortunately can burp i guess esily and vomiting has never been a problem i would say im apro i have triple A syndrome which caused this and unfortunately i get 6 month periodically stretched OGD hows it going after you nissans.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #8

Gareth_rogers HB User

OGD - does this mean they stretch your esophagus ?

Old 01-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #9
(male)

gavntricia HB User

Roger Yes OGD is oesophageal dialitation (cant spell) i get 'stretched every 6 months or so or as needed.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
(female)

sousou HB User

you are scaring me !! my husband had the surgery a month ago, he still doesn't burp easily but it is getting better, food going down is getting better but he has to drink a lot of liquid with each bite....did you loose weight?? he lost about 16 pounds.
is it true about the vomiting, he checked with the doctor before having the surgery and he said no.
we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #11
(female)

sousou HB User

I forgot to tell you that my husband is 47 , does age matter??
thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there - I don't mean to scare you about not being able to vomit. That's what I was told by my surgeon because he does a "tight" wrap. I had the surgery almost 4 years ago and to this day cannot vomit if food/liquid reaches my stomach - so if I get a stomach "bug" I either dry heave or spend all day very nauseous. Fortunately, the GI viruses I've had traveled through the stomach very quickly and the nausea was minimal - my problem was severe diarrhea instead. Burping is still difficult for me.

Not all fundoplication patients have this problem - depends on the tightness of the wrap - some will perform partial or looser wraps to allow easy burping/vomiting as needed. However, my surgeon knew that my LES was weak and a loose wrap would not be effective in preventing reflux. So if and when I can burp, it's a "dry" belch (no acid taste, yay!), or if I do burp before food/liquid reaches the stomach, it does come back up the esophagus, but does not burn since it has not reached the acid in my stomach.

I lost 25 lbs. after surgery and kept it off for about a year. However, the weight has been slowly creeping back on, and I've gained most of it back even though I tried not to. I was 39 when I had my surgery - I don't know how age factors in to recovery, etc. I've heard of many different people having the procedure regardless of age - even teenagers have been known to have it!

Please don't let me scare you - if your husband's doctor said vomiting and burping would not be a problem, then it probably won't be. I was informed right up front about the long-term consequences of my fundo, so my situation is probably different from your husband's.

Good luck to both of you,
Katie G

Old 01-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #13
(male)

gavntricia HB User
Re: Post nissen fundoplication questions sousou

Hey SouSou, not too scare you aswell every one (all doctors say i am quit ean exception as i waS very young when i had every thing done apart from the OGd which continue. but i had the "very tight" wrap ec when i was 8-9 then it was reveresed a few years later. i dont know if i lost eight i ditn gain any i know that but i couldnt swallow fo rmost of my life so i was never. heavy weighted. 9 years old i was 53 pounds.

as was mentioned everyone is diffrent and what is happenign with your hubbie now may not be the case in a year if that. give it time to settle in to his other systems etc.
good luck keep us posted

Old 04-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
(female)

seymore44 HB User

Katie G you have been very helpful on this nissen fundo stuff. I had the surgery almost 5 years ago and no longer have GERD but I have a slew of other problems as a result of the fundoplication. I thought I was going out of my mind. I believe I've developed symptoms comparable with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I get severe diarrhea, gas, bloating and nausea which alternates with constipation. My stomach gurgles and rumbles constantly, especially when I lay on my back. I cannot eat very much at one sitting or I get diarreha. Some episodes have been so severe I was on the toilet for 2 hours straight in dire agony. I do not have problems with vomitting or burping but still get food stuck on occassion. I have found a few things to help me live with these problems but no long term solutions. My symptoms increase when I'm stressed or anxious. I dread having to go on trips that involve long hours in a vehicle as I never know when my "IBS" will kick in and I need to get to a bathroom ASAP. I'm glad I no longer have reflux but in retrospect, I think I would prefer that instead of the diarrhea and gas. Does anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions or will I be doomed to live with this?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi seymore44 - I just saw your message. Your "IBS" symptoms are very, very real and can be managed with medication if needed. I went through the same problem with urgent (and sometimes uncontrolled!) diarrhea after my gall bladder surgery in '97, which then worsened even more after my fundo. I found this website to be so very helpful...one poster told me about Colestid (prescription) which helps to bind to the bile our livers dump into the small intestine. Some of us have something called "bile salt diarrhea" that can become problematic after any kind of abdominal surgery. I had problems with urgent diarrhea right after every meal, and had to actually leave work a few times when I couldn't get to the bathroom in time. I was very embarrased by this problem and didn't want to leave the house. So I just didn't eat instead....not very smart, I know. Anyway, when I posted my problem on this board, someone told me about Colestid and how it binds to the bile from the liver and "soaks" it up to control the diarrhea. Now I may have urgent diarrhea maybe once or twice a month vs. 5-8 times per day before. I've been taking Colestid since 2001 and hope I never have to go off from it.

Check it out online....I'm actually using it in an "off-label" way, but many docs are starting to see the benefit of helping those of us with bile salt diarrhea. Do a search on the symptoms of bile salt diarrhea and see if that sounds like your problem. If so, Colestid may be the thing for you. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you!

Katie G

Closed Thread