It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #1

go girl HB User
Pain center upper stomach/rib cage meets

About a month ago I started having a dull pain in the upper center of my stomach, slightly below where my rib cage meets. It defiently gets worse when I eat or drink. Feels like all my food gets stuck there and needs help down. This will last for a couple of hours. I ate a salad the other night and it made it hurt really bad. It feels as if the pain never goes away, just gets really faint. Then when I eat it flares it up. Any ideas? I've been freaking out. I suffer from anxiety, so of course I think the worse and I'm scared to go to the doctor. My husband says he sometimes gets the same thing, but his will also burn, which mine never does. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

dizzyone HB User
Re: Pain center upper stomach/rib cage meets

Hi there. I get exactly the same thing in the centre of my ribcage up top. If I eat it feels full, when I eat it doesn,t hurt at first but later does, but I also sometimes get stomach rumbling and feeling that I don,t want to eat and nauseousness too(sometimes) I had an upper GI already shows nothing, then just today after having an ultrasound yeasterday I was told I have gallstones 3 to be exact. So now I must go back to the doctor and ask her if it is the gallbladder or do I all so too have the stomach problem, maybe the 2 are not related and I need to find that out. I gather you have not had any test yet, so far the ones I had were no big deal, better to have it checked out than suffer. Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #3

akjmomma HB User
Smile Re: Pain center upper stomach/rib cage meets

Hi there. I had these same symptoms. One night it finally got so bad I feared a heart problem. After talking to several co-workers the following day I thought maybe it was gallstones. I was shocked to hear my surgeon tell me I had 15 gallstones. Gallbladder was removed on 11/16. You should see your doctor. They will probably do an abdominal ultrasound...mine took around 20-30 minutes. I hope you will let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

You said it didnt seem to be burning, usually when you have an ulcer or gastritis it burns as there is damage to the stomach, so there is a good chance you dont have either of those.

Have you read up on functional dyspepsia? its a chronic stomach disorder that has all the symtoms of an ulcer but with no damage to the stomach lining.
You can get stomach ache, nausea and you can feel full from eating even a very small meal!! as in the MOTILITY type FD your digestive rythm slows down and you get indigestion alot from eating anything!

I have the ULCER type functional dyspepsia, food often releives my stomach pain and i dont get indigestion too much.

You should get tested, FD isnt serious but infortunatly it is not understood why people get it and it is a chronic problem that has no cure of treatment.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Tallgirl, is the Motility type FD the same as Gastroparesis? Beause my doc thinks I have gastroparesis. I get the dull ache under my ribs, nausea off and on, indigestion, feel very full for many hours, etc. Are there any drugs for FD? I'm assuming that it's just another name for gastroparesis because the symptoms are all the same. How do they diagnose FD? I'm supposed to have a gastric emptying test for GP.

And Sandra, Hi again. We talked a while ago b/c our symptoms are so similar. I'm surprised to hear about your gallstones. I wonder if that is the cause of your whole problem or if there is some stomach ailment too. I've been getting that crazy rumbling noise a lot lately, of course the nausea, the pain, and the feeling of not wanting to eat. When you do eat do you feel full after only a few bites? That happens to me and I used to think it was all in my head because I knew it was a symptom of gastroparesis but lately it's so evident and my stomach just bloats out after about two bites! Anyway, we should talk!! What made your doc want to check for gallstones and when you had the ultrasound did you have to drink a lot? Because I don't think I can drink that much fluid with this early fullness problem!!

Hope all is well!

Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

You doc should send you to have an ultrasound to rule out things like gallstones and a gastroscopy to rule out ulcers and gastritis, which i dont think you have because it burns alot if you have them 2.

There is no treatment that really works for functional dyspepsia, i dont have the motilty type which u seem to have so i am ok in respects of eating food! i just have that dull ache 80% of the time and i only get nausea when my stomach hurts alot not as a result of food. I also feel tired alot and get light headed! its a pain in the bum!!
A low dose antidepressant could have done wonders for me and my stomach ache as thats what they can prescribe for pain, but the side effects were unbearbale! too sleepy all the time.

Its one of those things that isnt treatable at the moment, they say cus its not life threatening its ok! but it isnt it makes many of us miserable!

Sounds like you have that type of FD and not gallstones, check anyway.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #7

go girl HB User

Thanks for the info. I did lookup FD on google and it sound like it could be possible. The pain hasn't been to bad lately and not as much. I've been trying to eat less and watching what I'm eating. I did read that anxiety and stress, which I have, can also be a cause of FD. For 2 years since my last baby was born I've been struggling with anxiety. Currenty I'm off of all meds. So, hopefully I'll find out what it is. Thanks again

Old 12-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Fd is a stomach condition in itself, anxiety can make it worse as anxiety makes alot of illness worse but anixety isnt the cause or one of the causes of FD, we dont know what causes it as nothing has been found but one thing i have learnt is that nothing will get rid of it!
Shame really.

Closed Thread