It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
(male)

ELDERPANTHER HB User
GERD and Rapid Heart Rate

I am a 57 year old male with GERD to the mid Thorasic level. I also had my Gall Bladder removed in 2003 although I still get RUQ pain just below my rib cage.. For the last month or so I have had severe heartburn (24/7) and awake in the middle of the night. This time when I awake my heart is racing a mile a minute. Never had this before. Has anyone else experienced this with GERD? FYI had nuclear stress test and lower CT scan in Dec. 2004 and all was OK.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
Re: GERD and Rapid Heart Rate

oh my gosh this just happened to me last night. i thought i was dying. i woke up at 2am feeling sick to my stomach, and my heart was racing and pounding really hard. (this has happened to me before, but the last time it did was about 2 years ago.) i told my doctor about it and she put it off as a panic attack. but i really dont think its a panic attack. the only thing that calmed me down was i got a stick of gum and chewed it and it went away almost instantly. (i know gum works because saliva has a calming effect on the stomach) i was also trembling and feeling extremely cold and hot at the same time. i had a sour taste in my mouth and felt like i was going to throw up (the feeling where something is stuck in your throat) it was horrible. the heart racing really did scare me though because i dont think thats a usual symptom of gerd. i would love to get more information on this if anyone knows anything. by the way, im 23 years old. ive been so scared that im planning on taking both mylanta and famotidine tonight so the same thing wont happen again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
(female)

Katt5220 HB User

This started happening to me out of the blue 4 weeks ago. My Dr put it off as panic attacks but I knew better. I woke up and felt this overwelming urge to vomit and all kinds of stomach pain my heart started beating like crazy and I couldn't breath real well. I also had the chills and the shakes. It was crazy. I finally have been diagnoised with acid reflux and I just started taking Nexium yesterday. My body has been doing this pretty much constantly for 4 weeks, I just got to the point where I quit eating and have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I hope the Nexium works, but I don't know.

Good luck to you both
Katt

Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

curlyque57 HB User

I am a 47 year old female...have both GERD (for over 15 years) and in the past few years have had horrible episodes of rapid heart rate, at times thinking I was having a heart attack. BUT I also have panic disorder. I notice that if I can keep the GERD and severe heartburn under control, that the rapid heart rate seems to stay under control also. I read an article written by Dr. Stuart Shipko, M.D. "Panic Disorder and Gastroesophageal Reflux". He also wrote a book "Surviving Panic Disorder" which gives great detail into the GERD / Panic relationship. It's an excellent read. It offers some solutions for the GERD that should really help, e.g., using carafate which binds to the bile that collects in the stomach (which bile is very caustic). I have used liquid carafate at bedtime for a few years and it really helps a lot. If I'm having constant bitter taste in the mouth during the day, I'll add 1 or 2 additional doses of carafate. The book also explains how panic attacks affect heart rate.

I also take 20 mgs prilosec daily. Of course I'm sure you all know the diet for this problem...follow it as strictly as possible...and stay away from potently brewed coffee, this seems to be the worst at exacerbating GERD! Good luck to you all and I hope you all feel better soon!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
(female)

crzygrl_78 HB User

I had this same problem and I would also get extremely dizzy. I asked my Doc about it and he explained that the Vagus Nerve runs from the stomach to heart, sometimes when you take acid reducers or have other issue where the stomach has difficulty breaking down food. The Vagus nerve send a signal to the heart to raise the blood flow to the stomach aid in addition acid production to break down food. So this would increase your blood pressure and cause a rapid heart beat. So this could be what is happening.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzygrl_78
I had this same problem and I would also get extremely dizzy. I asked my Doc about it and he explained that the Vagus Nerve runs from the stomach to heart, sometimes when you take acid reducers or have other issue where the stomach has difficulty breaking down food. The Vagus nerve send a signal to the heart to raise the blood flow to the stomach aid in addition acid production to break down food. So this would increase your blood pressure and cause a rapid heart beat. So this could be what is happening.

sounds about right... did he tell u what to do to stop it from happening or to alleviate the symptoms??

Old 02-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
(male)

ELDERPANTHER HB User

Thanks everyone for your input.

Basically doc said don't worry about it. Easy for him to say.

Closed Thread