It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
How long does it take for ulcers to heal?

I have been taking perscription pepcid for a little over a month now and my stomach is still messed up. I'm wondering how long it takes for an ulcer to heal and when should I make an appt. with my doctor to tell him I'm still having stomach matters.
I get the gnawing and weird hunger pangs when laying down especially and when I eat or drink the wrong thing, I'm sick and so nauseous. Anyone have any idea????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Re: How long does it take for ulcers to heal?

Have you been diagnosed with an ulcer and if so how? Healing an ulcer can vary from person to person especially depending on the cause of the ulcer. H-pylori is the major culprit and that would take anitbiotics plus an acid reducer to cure. H-pylori can be a tough case to treat at times too. If the ulcer is caused from stress then you would need something to counteract the stress and an acid reducer. Basically an acid reducer would be used for any cause of an ulcer but whether you need an additional medication to go along with the acid reducer depends on the cause of the ulcer. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Thanks, they just diagnosed me upon the symtoms I was having. I am suppose to go back to the doctor if it keeps going on. My symptoms are better than before but have stayed the same for over a month, they haven't gotton better but haven't gotton worse. I can't even drink a beer without getting sick and nausious the next day. When I lay down, I gettting the gnawing feeling. I don't know if I should go back or not. If I stay away from certain things I'm okay but I'd really like to enjoy a night out with my friends and have a couple of beers.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #4

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi, just to confuse things even more. The acid reducer will result in almost zero stomach acid, thus digestion etc is impaired. But to help the ulcer heal you need to reduce the acid iritation.

Do some reasearch on DGL and Manuka Honey. These two have been proven with medical tests to work, but without the side affects of PPI's and antibioitics. Sound skeptical ? I was to ! but when the PPI's/antibioitics do not work and all you get is further prescriptions you will maybe look at these alternatives...

Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
(male)

JustinCA HB User

Hi Gareth,

I use a little bit of Active Manuka Honey in my ginger tea (freshly grated ginger). It's very tasty.

I've been dealing with a mild case of gastritis/dyspesia since November, and am currently on OTC 10mg/day (I split the 20mg tablet) Prilosec.

I've read about Manuka Honey's benefits for gastritis. Maybe I need to up the amount I use some.

How do you use Manuka Honey?

Thanks very much.

Peace.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
(male)

Palisades HB User

Your description of your problem pretty much sums up exactly what I have been experiencing. I am a 22 year old college student, and these symptoms have been increasing steadily for the past year. I went to the doctor about it and they said I probably have gastritis and prescribed prevacid. They also suggested I stop drinking for 4-8 weeks to let it heal. I took great care of my stomach for 6 weeks, then had two beers and my stomach hurts again. I was wondering if you have had any luck figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it. I am in the process of scheduling an endoscopy to hopefully get to the bottom of this. Being unable to drink a couple beers here at school is really killing me.

Palisades

Old 02-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I know what you mean. I have to go out and watch everyone else drink, it sucks.
I am having an upper GI tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find out. I am usually nausious, that is my biggest problem. I hope that you find the culprit!

Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
(male)

Palisades HB User

I'm real interested in hearing about what they found in the Upper GI. I think in another post you mentioned taking pain killers right before this problem started. I too hurt my knee and started using pain killers probably too regularly and my problems really began after this. But I haven't taken any pain killers for over a year. The only problem is I am in college and used to drink several nights a week (pretty heavily), I think this made my minor condition much worse as I never let it heal (I thought I was just hung over). But starting this year it has gotten so bad that it isn't even worth going out at all, so hopefully stopping the alcohol completely and taking Nexium once a day will allow my stomach to heal. Let me know what you think.

Palisades

Closed Thread