It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 AM   #1

liquidstar HB User
hunger pains that feel like something more, very painful, still there even when i eat

This was also posted in General Health because I was unsure where I should post it at first...

And I also read someone else had a similar problem but I still wanted to post my story.
Last night, I was at work and I started to have a very bad chest pain. I only had toast for breakfast and a bit of rice for lunch, so I just thought it was hunger pains, but in my chest for some reason. I went home and ate a bowl of soup for dinner then later on I went to bed. I woke up with the chest pain again, but also feeling nausious. I laid in bed for awhile, and then noticed that the chest pain would get very intense, and then my stomach would growl, but then it keeps coming back. Maybe the soup didn't fill me up enough? Its a very intense pain which is keeping me from sleeping, water doesnt help. Normally when I'm hungry my stomach just growls, I have never had this much pain from it before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

--After I posted I ate 2 pieces of bread to see if it was just simply hunger. The pain when away for a while but then I woke up again with more pains just below my ribs, like the pain moved or something. It was very intense, it hurt so bad. I don't know how hunger can possibly hurt this bad.

--When I woke up for the morning, I drank a bunch of water which helped the pain. I then ate breakfast and the pain came back so it can't be hunger pains can it? I'm very scared and worried now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User
Re: hunger pains that feel like something more, very painful, still there even when i eat

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have no idea what it is though either. I've been searching on here to find out, but I haven't really gotten an answer yet. Just replies like mine I'll keep checking this one out. Hopefully someone will post that knows what it may be.
in the meantime, take care.
Did you just start getting these pains?
I was wondering if there any worse for you when you get your period. It is for me. I keel right over , my stomach hurts so bad

Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #3

liquidstar HB User
Re: hunger pains that feel like something more, very painful, still there even when i eat

Actually last night was the first time, I was at work and my chest just started hurting, I just figured it was becaues I was hungry, but I also felt nausious. And I was up all night because of the terrible pain, it moved from my chest to right below my ribs. I hope someone is familiar with this.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

A stomach ulcer can give you intense hunger like pains, which usually go away when you eat. It can wake you up at night. It probably could be tons of other stuff too, I am no way an expert. You'll have to go and see your GP. I had something very similar and it was gastritis. They gave me tablets to reduce the acid and I also took slippery elm and it is much better now.
Hope that helps

Tesss

Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #5

liquidstar HB User

How do you get an ulcer? I haven't been eating too much the past several days so I'm hoping its just that. My stomach still hurts when I eat. I don't have any insurance but if I have to go to the doctor I have to go. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User

yeah I was wondering exactly how you get an ulcer. I have so much stress and anxiety that my counsellor once told me that if I'm not careful I could get an ulcer. Is that what it's from?? And what exactly is gastritis?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

HI
I got gastritis because I had too much acid irritating the stomch lining (I have gerd). Gastritis is basically irritation of the stomach lining. I think but am not sure that it can be caused by eating too much of the wrong thing ie fatty food, alcohol, NSAIDS. Some diseases and medications.
An ulcer I think is caused by the same things but also theres a bacteria that can cause ulcer - helicobacter pylori. They used to say that stress causes ulcers but I don't know if that is true, I think its probably more that when you are stressed you arent eating so well and your body can't cope so well against infections/bacteria.

I am no expert on this by the way!
For both you can try taking antacids to ease the discomfort. Im in the UK so dont know about your health insurance system. You could try eating really blandly (no fatty, spicy food) and taking antacids. If you get stools that are black, tarry then you should definately go to the doctors. At the doctors they can do a blood test or breath test to determine if you have the helicobacter infection and they can give you stronger drugs to stop the acid while it heals.

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on.
Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 03-09-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
Re: hunger pains that feel like something more, very painful, still there even when i

I had this from an ulcer too. The pain is up in your chest. Mine was caused by taking nsaids (non-steriodal anti-inflammatorys) for too long. Ibuprofin, aspirin, stuff like that can seriously hurt your stomach.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User
Re: hunger pains that feel like something more, very painful, still there even when i

I have a gyn. appoinment on the 21st. I think maybe I'll mention to him about the ulcer and gastritis. He's a really nice doc so I know he'll do what he can to help. I always go back and think about the time i had an ovarian cyst and it burst, and that maybe it damaged something. Because ever since then, I've had problems and it seems that I'm always at the hospital in pain. It's becoming my second home. In the meantime I guess I'll lay off the aspirin and advil..... try too anyway. sometimes the pain is just too much. I can only handle so much.
oh I also wanted to find out.... when all my symptoms started i lost 30 pounds in a week. I have yet to gain it back. any thoughts??

Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Kootie Pie
30 pounds in one week is quite a lot. I haven't a clue about why, did you have some sort of bug or were there any other symptoms initially in that first week? I bet its not nice an ovarian cyst bursting, but I wouldn't expect that to have anything to do with your stomach. Maybe you have been taking a lot of aspirin and advil on an empty stomach - that would certainly irritate your stomach. You can take paracetamol /acetaminophen, which is kinder to your stomach.
Good luck with the Gyn. Let us know how you are doing

Tesss

Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #11

liquidstar HB User

OK, well I thought I would give a little update on my little condition. Each day the pain has been getting better. The first 2 nights it would wake me in my sleep. Last night it didn't. And now that I'm thinking of it, I haven't had any pains since earlier today. So its gradually decreasing. I don't know whats going on and if it does go away do you think it can still be a problem? But I did notice a few days before the pain that I wasn't eating very much, I was getting full really fast and I normally can eat alot, so that worried me. Then the pain came. My appetite is coming back and the pain has been gone since earlier today so hopefully things will be ok.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Liquidstar
Good to hear you are getting better.
All I know about ulcers/gastritis suggests that as you do eat more then the acid has something to do so is less bothersome to the gastritis or ulcer, causing less pain. As you eat less the acid has less to do so bothers your gastritis/ulcer, causing more pain. It would still wake you up in the night though so as you are not being woken up maybe it is getting better. It can also go away and come back again. just watch out for dark, tarry stools which can be a sign of bleeding in the stomach.
Sorry but just wanted to be realistic. Of course it might just have been a bug and this is the end of it. Hope so!
Best wishes
Tesss

Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #13

liquidstar HB User

Well after I posted that it came back a bit. It only woke me up in the morning one time I think since then. But since yesterday morning, I don't remember having any pains whatsoever, and today I know for sure I haven't felt a thing. I really hope its gone and that it was just some weird bug.

Closed Thread