It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

Suzi--Q HB User
Left side rib, back and flank pain - relief

Hi,

I know this has been discussed on here before as I've been searching for years and have only found more folks with the same problem and no answers.

I would complain to doctors of upper left back pain, rib pain. It has become impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep. I've been to ER more times than I can count. Doctor has referred me to Physical Therapy over and over.

Last week my husband was very constipated. I went out and got him some prune juice and stool softeners. Well, I decided to have a glass of prune juice and then I had another. Within 1 hour I was in the bathroom 6 times.
What was strange is that I never normally release much gas when I have a bowel movement, but I sure did then. Much to my surprise, by pain was less.
and less and less. I still have tenderness, but no real pain. I figure the tenderness is from years of irratation in that area of my colon.

I did some research and the condition is called splenic flexure syndrome. Chronic condition where gas gets trapped in that section of the colon.

If anyone tries this and it helps, will you post so I can find out if I'm on the right track. My doctor thinks I'm a nut case because of these complaints over the years. I am going in for colonoscopy in a couple of weeks, so I will see if anything else is wrong in there.

Suzi--Q

Last edited by Suzi--Q; 03-08-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Re: Left side rib, back and flank pain - relief

I have one question. You say that you noticed some relief with taking the prune juice. Are you constipated a lot? Constipation and gas can cause your symptoms. Also, prunes is in the category of foods known for causing a lot of gas. I think it has to do with it's fiber content. Fiber doesn't digest which is one of the ways it works to help you go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
(female)

Suzi--Q HB User
Re: Left side rib, back and flank pain - relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by actudan
I have one question. You say that you noticed some relief with taking the prune juice. Are you constipated a lot? Constipation and gas can cause your symptoms. Also, prunes is in the category of foods known for causing a lot of gas. I think it has to do with it's fiber content. Fiber doesn't digest which is one of the ways it works to help you go.
I normally have very normal BMs once or twice per day. I just never noticed releasing lots of gas. This pain I mention has been with me for years. I'm cutting back on the prune juice to one glass because I want to be able to leave the house.

I wanted to post this, because I've searched for years for the answer and maybe this will help someone else.

Do you have pain in that area?

Suzi--Q

Closed Thread