It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Gastritis, gallstones, bile reflux, oh my!

Well, all of the tests are in.

Upper GI x-ray showed gastritis and GERD.
Endoscopy showed bile in the stomach and gastritis, biopsy confirmed gastritis.
Bloodwork was normal.
Ultrasound showed gallstones.

Apparently I'm just a really lucky person, and managed to come down with some horribly rare condition. Usually bile reflux doesn't happen to people who haven't had surgery on their stomach. So I managed to get it anyway. But the doctor isn't sure if my nausea is being caused by the gastritis (from the bile reflux), from GERD, or from the gallstones.

After the endoscopy the doctor switched me from prilosec to protonix, and I've felt worse. Today he added a drug called cytotec. I'm kind of afraid to start taking it because of all the warnings on the label. Apparently it's used in combination with another drug to induce abortion. I don't have to worry about being pregnant, but it's still kind of scary.

So now I wait a month to see if the cytotec heals my gastritis and if that makes my nausea better. If not, it's probably my gallbladder that's causing my problems. So he'll do a hida scan and then probably take my gallbladder out. So I'm not very happy, and kind of scared.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Gastritis, gallstones, bile reflux, oh my!

Okay... I have some questions about gallbladder pain... I never really thought much about stomach pain before the doctor mentioned that I have gallstones. Since then I've been having intermittent pain on the right side right along the lower border of the ribs and maybe and inch or two above and below. I went walking and had some sharp pains there and realized that I've been having them before, and that I was attributing them to muscle cramps, but they were always only on the right side. Also, even since August I have been getting sharp pains below my ribs when I sneeze.

Is it possible that these other pains are just random muscle cramps and that I'm just sort of being a hypochondriac about all of this?

I've been on the the new medication for three days now and no change in my nausea yet. I am wavering between really hoping that it's just gastritis that's causing my problems and that it will heal and then thinking (sort of a "gut feeling"... haha) that with the pain I've been having that it must be my gallbladder and I'm just wasting my time trying this other medication.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Did the Dr say how long to try the medicine? If its not working I would give him a call and set the up the Hida scan..You can still be taking the meds while undergoing the other testing.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think the doc said that the normal course of treatment is about a month for the gastritis. I seem to recall him saying something about if I didn't feel better in two weeks that I should call him back, but I think that was just an arbitrary number. I talked to the nurse today and she said that if I wasn't feeling better in a week then I should call back then.

I had called the nurse to find out how many and how big the gallstones are (not that it matters, I suppose, but I'm curious about what I'm carrying around in me..). Unfortunately, the ultrasound report just said "multiple" stones. That's just no fair. Oh well.

So I guess I'll give it until Friday.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay.. more questions...

Is the hida scan actually necessary? He's already narrowed it down to gallbladder or gastritis, and we know that I have gallstones. I'm only 24, so if I've already got them, can't we assume that they are just going to get worse? So if the gastritis medication doesn't help my symptoms, the doc said that will mean it's my gallbladder and then he would want to do the scan. But if we know I have gallstones and he determines that it's my gallbladder that is causing the symptoms, why should I bother doing the scan? Are the results going to change anything?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Well I dont know that the results would change anything since you already know you have the stones. I would be asking the Dr about that, especially if hes going to want to do the gallbladder surgery either way.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, the doctor just said that no surgeon would want to see me unless I had the scan first. So I'm scheduled for the scan on Friday, also on the cancellation list to see if they can get me in sooner. I just keep feeling worse and worse.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Gastritis can make you feel bad, and alot of people have gall stones w/o ever any problem. It only gets bad when a stone blocks the the bile duct --- that is when you walk the floor at night because of the pain.
Usually Prilosec helps the gastritis and Protonix is a timed released PPI normally used to help heal errosion problems of the esophgus.

I have never heard of the other medication you are taking but I'll find out about it!!

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread