It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

baba823 HB User
Stomach Distention, Bloating,Abdominal Pressure and sticking sensation under rib cage

For over two years, I have had pressure across the upper abdominal area from side to side just under the rib cage. It feels like a belt is tightened as tight as possible and is sticking or pinching the bottom of the rib cage. Bending over worsens the sensation. The only way I can get relief is to lie on my back or side. Doctors can't find the cause. I have had all the imaginable gi tests including h pylori, HIDA scan, gastric emptying, swallow test, pH monitor, upper and lower gi. barium enema, gall bladder,colonoscopy, endoscopy and ultrasound endoscopy. I have taken the following GI–related medications: Buspirone, Zelnorm, Motilium (Domperidone), Propulsid (before it was withdrawn), Lipram-CR and Erythromycin as well as OTC products such as Beano and Gas-x, none of which provided relief. I have parkinson's but the gastroenterologists and neurologists don't think it's related. Anyone have similar symtoms and/or suggested remedies.

Last edited by baba823; 04-08-2005 at 09:24 PM. Reason: misspelling plus added information plus more descriptive title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User
Re: Abdominal Pressure and sticking sensation under rib cage

Sounds like it could be trapped gas. Have you tried anything like Gas-X?? I know its frustrating to be in pain and find no cause for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
(male)

baba823 HB User

yes I've tried gas-x without success. I also take 20mg prilosec twice daily.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

I saw this posting
"Any of the OTC meds for gas like Gas-X, charcoal tabs, and the other brands that I can't think of right now only work on gas that is trapped above the stomach. The ingredient in the OTC help you burp up the excess gas, before it even gets into the intestines. These meds do absolutely nothing for intestinal gas, the kind that hurts and makes you really bloated."
If that is the case , treatment and remedies might be more difficult .
I recently had some pressure discomfort in rib case areas also and nearby .
Not exactly as your descriptions , might be related as GI trouble symptoms can be overlapping ...

Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba823
For over two years, I have had pressure across the upper abdominal area from side to side just under the rib cage. It feels like a belt is tightened as tight as possible and is sticking or pinching the bottom of the rib cage.The only way I can get relief is to lie on my back. Doctors can't find the cause. I have had all the imaginable gi tests including h pylori, HIDA scan, gastric emptying, swallow test, pH monitor, upper and lower gi. barium enema, gall bladder,colonoscopy, endoscopy and ultrasound endoscopy. I have parkinson's but the gastrointerrologists and neurologists don't think it's related. Anyone have similar symtoms and/or suggested remedies.
Lying on your back or standing or maintain an unusually straight posture would relieve it ?
Problem is worse when sitting ?

Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
(male)

baba823 HB User

Yes, it's worse when sitting. Lying down on my back or side is the only way to get immediate relief.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Thanks .
After reading this post over , I had symptoms quite similar to yours except mine were on the left side ( the tightened , tensing feeling like a belt or a rope ; there was no lump or hardened feeling when I was rubbing my hand over it though ).
The sticking and pinching were felt at bottom of the rib cage and also a few ribs above ... in nearby areas next to the ribs but not in the midline of the abdomen

Old 04-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Hi! I can really relate to your post about rib pain. I have had rib pain for two years as well and was told it was gas. I have written numerous times about this on the boards. I feel more pressure when sitting up or moving a certain way or pressing on my ribs than when I lay down. Bras also make it worse. I have been told I have excess gas in my colon. After I eat I sometimes feel it worse. I never had the GI testing done but have read about so many people who have and still have no answers.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

People that had gone thru many tests and still had no answers " most likely excessive gas in our digestive systems " . Change in diet is necessary .

Old 04-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
(male)

baba823 HB User

I've been on a lactose -free diet for two days plus erythromycin. Here's hoping for some relief. None thus far but I'm patient......and hopeful!

Closed Thread