It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Diagnosed with gastritis...please read!

I've read a lot on these boards about gastritis and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread going on gastritis only. I don't think doctors (at least mine) really know (or may not care) about how painful gastrits really can be. My gastritis problems lasted almost 8 months and it was really painful and caused a lot of naussea. My docs only wanted to give me PPIs and Carafate. I wanted to get off the PPIs so I quit taking them and tried alternative therapies. I am not sure if they helped but the gastritis did go away in time. I really attribute the cure to my gastrtis to diet.

Gastritis is painful! That is a sure thing. Chronic gastritis can lead to stomach cancer so it's not something to ignore (doubt that you could anyway). A lot of alcoholics get stomach cancer because alcohol is primarily absorbed through the stomach and alcohol is an irritant. If you take NSAIDs then you are taking another irritant.

I will post some later on some of the alternative things I took to help with the gastritis. I would do it now but I don't know the complete list and I would like to think about it to really give an answer as to what I thought may have helped.

I started this thread for others who are and still may be suffering from gastritis. If you are one of those people, then post here to what you are taking and what has worked for you. I know Harry will say Mastica

Take care everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to actudan For This Useful Post:
Maradeur1978 (03-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

peaches31 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with gastritis...please read!

Finally someone else who understands the misery of an inflammed stomach! I've been dealing with these issues for over 7 yrs now. Had so many upper gi's i think my new name should be radiation.... diagnosed with duo denitis in 98 and since then i have had flare ups now and then.. the one time i did it lasted almost 3 months, i really thought i was dying and that it just had to be something terrible. At this time i am in the throes of another episode.... nausea, diarreah, burning, churning aching its just god awful, even ended up at the er one night cause it got so bad. My own doctor did blood tests and had another upper gi not even a year ago which showed that everything was fine. I should mention that i have panic disorder and before this latest flare up i was in a constant state of panic about my health (other issues)

My own doctor just advises me to stay away from red meat, dairy and the other things thta i know will make it worse. I've been doin some research and found a link between zanax and it helping controlling the stomach acids and it has helped me, i take it a half hour before i eat and at bedtime. But then i get to thinking maybe it's just masking the problem......... geezzzz

On a scale of 1-10 i am about a 3 now so i have improved, its just so frustrating that i have to deal with this......... any more ideas?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #3

Shardanomspa HB User

So far the only rx iam on is Nexium as for herbal products, Aloe Vera Juice(Mix it with a little apple juice cuz of the flavor) DGL extract lots of them, and slippery elm, Glutamine.
To give my stomach a break i juice fasted for 3 days. Only green juices/
So far i eliminated meat and diary and I will tell you one thing. When i found out i had gastritis i continued to eat meats and starches but in smaller amounts and i was getting better slowly but so slow i didnt know if i was getting better and I thought i might have hit a plateu. Last Friday I eliminated meat and dairy along with starches. Lost a little bit of wieght but thats ok. Each day is getting better where iam not experiencing the pain as often and certain times of the day i would get pain but iam not getting it anymore.
Before i would take Nexium and it would work for 2 hours and then i would be in a lot of pain again. Now I think that giving my stomach a break from meat and stuff makes the nexium work much much better.
Oh and I also eliminated coffee, tea, soda anything thats not natural.
I can still tolerate orange juice and pineapple juice but again I dont think its a good idea so stick to cranberry or apple and remember to mix it with a little water.
Hope I helped someone

Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

Shardanomspa HB User

Peaches: My doctor recently mentioned something about that to me because my family has a history of anxiety/depression and pain associated with such. Iam looking into it. I will let you know more if i have to take something becausse ive always had bad anxiety regardless of my health situation.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

peaches31 HB User

Shardanomspa:

I don't mean to sound like a real donut head, but what did your doctor mention to you about? zanax? I've also been drinking chamomille tea, do you think that's ok?

Last edited by peaches31; 03-25-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I just found out in the last month that I have mild gastritis and my dr. told me to continue taking Pariet (I have been taking it for about 3 months) and not to eat or drink anything irritating to the stomach like caffeine, colas, spicy food, greasy food, etc.
I also have GB problems as well that I think are contributing to some of my symptoms. I get diarrhea when I eat spicy/greasy food. It's just plain miserable!!

-Donna

Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #7

Shardanomspa HB User

Well there are a variety of drugs for anxiety and pain associated with depression.
I havent looked into it yet but Xanax is one Lexapro is another. I think the one my doctor is going to put me on is Cymbalta it seems that most of my family is on this because they have all developed real symptoms and real pains from anxiety. It blocks certain chemicals in your brain. There is something called flight to fight or that might be the other way around. Anxiety can cause excess bile to be refluxed from your stomach to your esophagus. This might not hold true for everyone but you can have anxiety/depression without even knowing it stuff is always going on in the back of your head.
I have had major health issues following all of my anxiety attacks and i think it would be good for me to take something and see somebody about it.
I know there are a few people on this board that have had luck with this sort of thing.
Let me know if you find anything else out!!!! Iam curious on this...
Ohh and Peaches lay off all Tea's for now.
I have been using hot water with lemons in it and it seems to have the same affect.
When i was first feeling these pains from gastritis i drank sleepytime tea and all that herbal stuff and it just made it worst.
If you take care of it now you can indulge a little in the future but not as much as you use to because with any type of inflammation you can always get it back just as easily as it left.

Last edited by Shardanomspa; 03-25-2005 at 10:46 PM.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: Diagnosed with gastritis...please read!

Dan,

You are right I have had the best results with curing gastritis using Mastica!!

I went to several GI Doctors and tried several PPIs then I went to an Alternative Care Doctor that normally only treats Allergy and Environmental problems.

The first visit was with a Nurse was 2 hours and I had filled out a complete 30 pages of my family history then a 1 hour visit with the Doctor -- for the morning then about 2 1/2 hours with the nurse the next afternoon about what exactly the Doctors Program was--

He is an MD and outlined a program that included a weight loss program very much like The Zone diet book by Dr Barry Sears to prevent Diabetes, Mastica for gastritis along with a Probiotic supplement, Lypotropic Complex to help digestion and Nystatin powder for yeast/candida problems. He also did lots of blood work.

I still think He saved me from MANY future problems. I could not start any diet feeling so bad.

The gastritis I had was cured in 2 weeks and I began the diet --later the weekend before 9/11/2001.

I still see him once a year.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-27-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #9

DianeMarie73 HB User

harry could you post a sample menu for that diet.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Yes! Please do post one!
I have been battling this gastritis for a while and nothing seems to be working ...i feel good one week then the next I feel horrible with nausea, diahrea, stomach burning/churning.

Donna

Old 06-11-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi,

The diet that I use is NOT a diet to cure or even help gastritis -- it is a low carb sorta high protein diet that is a weight loss diet and also reduces the risk of getting diabetes. The diet is based on several programs / Books-- "The Zone" and "Protein Power".

The Gastritis that I had was CURED using an OTC remedy -- "Mastica" along with a probiotic supplement.
I took Mastica twice daily between meals (2 -500mgs dose) -- I took it for a month!!
But, after only 2 weeks, My Gartro Doc did an endoscopic exam that was scheduled 6 months previously and could not find any stomach inflammation--- no gastritis-- I was not on any diet during that time!!!

I hope this explains the diet???

Harry

Old 06-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

What is Mastica and how does it work??

Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #13
(female)

Dee77 HB User

My story: I have been on prevacid on and off for years. I had an upper gi done, cause I always felt stools would stick and stomach or something was in the way. I was told I still have it. The constipation is from the stomach being in the way. I was told to continue prevacid. Diagnosis is gasritis. Guess what I dont have the pain, just feels swollen. I have been faithfully taking prevacid like the doc said, than i started feeling really sick to my stomach alot. I would get very cold taking this drug also. My question is-is this really gasritis? cause i dont have the pain. I am not overwieght i am underweight. A ct scan was done also and said since i am so skiinny they could not see if cancer was in belly. which i dont think sounds right. Anyways i have the acid coming back up. I do take metamucil daily with lots of water. my stomach just feels so inflamed(like i said no pain at all) Also had a sed rate done and that showed no inflamation in body. I dont know what is going on and just want the bowels to empty all the way. tired of being sick

Old 06-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Donna,

Mastica is mastic gum (a resin) that comes from a tree that is grown in Greece. It has been used for hundreds of years to help stomach problems --- probably before the ailments had names.

It has been found to cure some strains of H.pylori bacteria but I think it does alot more than that -- it certainly cured the gastritis that I had!!

You can find out more about it with any search engine. I have bought it from a vitamin store as well as online.

Harry

Old 06-13-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Thanks Harry! I will have to give that a try. I would rather go a more "natural" way then these PPI's that don't seem to do anything for me.

Closed Thread