It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User
Unhappy Vomitted and coughed up blood...Dr. says GASTRITIS?

Last week I had been coughing due to a very mild cough I have had for a while. Well I spit the stuff into the sink and it was pink-tinged. I tried to swab my throat as best as I could with tp to see where the blood was coming from, but it came back clean. I freaked out and told my mother who at first was disturbed but gathered it was probably from a raw throat. (Although it didn't feel raw.)

Fast forward to Thursday night, and my IBS is acting up, as well as a horrible sore throat which accomponied this flu I am currently still fighting off. I am awoken due to a stomach ache (which is normal for me when constipated) and so I went to the bathroom. Once in there, I became so nauseous and hot, I began to throw up into the sink. After throwing up a few times, I noticed blood in my vomit, and again freaked out. My husband sat with me and studied the vomit, and gathered it was from my bad sore throat (although could tell he looked worried.) *Note: I am accustumed to throwing up if I am very constipated; I do not believe the blood caused me to vomit.

The next day my mom insists that I see a DR. So I pay the outrageous amount of $$ (no insurance) and the doctor asks me all sorts of questions. She checks my throat with her handy little light and tells me my throat really doesn't look that inflamed.

She presses on my stomach and asks if any part is tender. The only part that hurts when she presses on it is at the top of mu stomach, under my breast bone. She then tells me that she is pretty sure I have gastritis and prescribeds me Zantac (I believe). She goes on to say that she doesn't think it was my throat, and if I continue to cough/throw up blood and my symptoms don't get better, to come back for ulcer tests.

My question is this: How do I know the symptoms of gastritis other than coughing and vomitting blood? How will I know if I am getting worse? Also, people have been telling me it's not good at all I was throwing up blood and I am really, really worried and scared. How come the doctor didn't express that much interest in it? She acted like it was a common deal.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

~Amber

Last edited by Sanchez1; 03-27-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Vomitted and coughed up blood...Dr. says gastritis?

Hi Amber,

I think passing blood when you cough or throw up should be considered very serious since it is not normal. The only way to really know what is causing the problem is to have an endoscopic exam of your troat and stomach by a qualified Gastro Doctor.

Throwing up acidic contents of your stomach can damage your esophagus and a Doctor cannot just look at your throat and tell if you have gastritis or not. Also, gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining and does not produce blood --- but ulcers can.

God Bless---Harry

Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User
Re: Vomitted and coughed up blood...Dr. says gastritis?

Thanks Harry- I am very depressed and scared and worried. I am thinking I should go see another doctor, one I trust more and see what happens.

I am also thinking this may have been due to my sore throat, maybe i strained something. This has never happened before until I was sick, so I am just trying to be optimistic.

She looked at my throat to rule out inflammation which may have caused bleeding due to the rawness of my throat, and said she didn't think it was from my throat.

She then pressed on different areas of my stomach and I told her where it hurt. She then made her diagnosis and said if the symptoms continue after taking th RX, then I would have to do the scope test for an ulcer.

How serious is an ulcer? I know alot of people who have had them, but all have seemed to not to think it is a big deal.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Vomitted and coughed up blood...Dr. says gastritis?

Amber,

About 85% of ulcers are caused by H.pylori bacteria and the treatment is 2 antibiotics and a anti-acid like Prilosec.
Almost all ulcers result in abdominal pain. But, I had a Barber 20 years ago that had a bleeding ulcer with no pain and passsed out--- so the point is everyone is different and reacts differently.

The other 15% or so of ulcers are caused by errosion by things like pain killers even asprin and the treatment is a bland diet and a an antiacid until healed.

I think any time you are sick -- it's a BIG deal

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-27-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Closed Thread