It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

mjcm123 HB User
aloe vera, slippery elm, and dgl licorice

I had been taking ranitidine 300 mg/day with a lot of side effects so switched to Nexium 40mg 2x/day also with side effects. They helped with the acid reflux and lpr but the side effects were too debilitating. Now I am taking Carafate but it is not enough. I have read many posts about aloe vera juice, slippery elm and dgl licorice but can't seem to get a handle on the equations that work for people. For those who have had luck with these natural medications, can you tell me in what amounts and when you took them? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
(female)

littlegal HB User
Re: aloe vera, slippery elm, and dgl licorice

I took aloe vera juice for my stomach. It helped but you have to take it for about a month before it actually started helping. My fiance and I have also took aciduplus (not for sure on the spelling) it had licorice and slippery elm in it. I have read several books about herbs. These herbs all coat the stomach and lining of the intestines. I have been having problems with my gallbladder and it would give me the reflux, burning symptoms. The herbs would coat my digestive tract and I feel great!! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
I swear by slippery elm. I take 2 capsules of 340mg with my lunch and evening meal. You will be able to drop this down to just once a day after a month or maybe more.
I also like DGL, just chew 2 tablets before a meal. I take it before my evening meal, but on the bottle it says take before any meal, take as you need it. get the chewable dgl and chew it for as long as possible - you need to mix it with saliva for the active ingredients to work.
Hope that helps and makes you feel better. The slippery elm took a little while to help with my stomach, it wasnt immediate for me.

Also, for aloe vera, you really need to get the inner leaf gel drink only, I found that whole leaf really caused me bad stomach aches, as it has aloin in which is a very strong laxative. Even if it says it has aloin removed there will still be some in as its very difficult to remove from the outer leaf. If the aloe vera is brown its oxidised. If it tastes of water then there won't be enough aloe in to have any good effects. I did lots of research on aloe vera!!

Best wishes
Tesss

Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
(female)

Penna79 HB User

littlegal and Tesss, are those things good for a loud, gassy, flatuence, noisey, gurgling, and rumbling stomach?

Old 04-09-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

They are good for your digestion.....if your having acid reflux try ginger juice made from fresh ginger. You can also drink ginger tea. If you don't have a juicer to make your own juice you can get it juiced at a health food store. You can store ginger juice for up to 3 months in the frig. You only need to take 1/4 to 1/2 tsp a day....

Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
(female)

mjcm123 HB User

Ginger juice in addition to aloe juice, slippery elm and dgl licorice. Also, the slippery elm I bought is in capsules, do you think the chewable kind is better? Finally, does it matter if I cut the aloe juice with water (it is strong and has some citric acid in it which I don't want to effect the GERD). Thanks for your help!!

Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
The slippery elm comes in capsules. I wouldn't like to chew it! Although you can open the capsules and make a tea out of it if you want. Its the dgl that you need to chew, and you will get used to the taste before you know it!

The aloe vera juice is fine diluted in some water or juice. The citric acid in the aloe vera is an inactive ingredient, hopefully it shouldn't bother you.

One other thing that I do and really helps is that I lie on a wedge pillow at night, Im raised by 12" and that really does make a difference (I have suspected gerd, Im having a brchoscopy this afternoon, hoping to find out if its whats causing my breathing problems!).

POst back in a few days and let us know how you are getting on.
Good luck and best wishes
Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 04-11-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
(female)

mjcm123 HB User

Hi Tesss. I am sleeping on a wedge but I find it hard to get comfortable. I have dgl also in capsule form. I will try to find it in chewable. What happened with your brochoscopy?Thanks for everything! It is so nice to not be on the meds (though my GI keeps telling me to try again.).

Old 04-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi MJCM123
I didn't find the meds very easy to be on either, they all seem to have some side effects and just seem to mess with the bodys processes for me. Its horrible to have to take something that messes with the body that much isnt it.
The dgl in capsule form might work, its worth a try. I guess it will mix with saliva as it goes down into the stomach.

The bronchoscopy went well, thanks for asking. Im a little tired now, I think I will sleep well tonight! They didn't find anything, so it means there is nothing wrong with my lungs or the tubes. They couldnt confirm or rule out gerd, but they didn't find anything else to cause breathlessness. Im having a barium meal in a few weeks time, maybe that will show something.

I found the wedge pillow hard to get used to aswell, after a lot of messing about I am finally comfortable, but going higher made it easier funnily enough. Ive been sleeping on it for a month now and Im getting some good nights sleep after a long time.

Anyway, hope all these herbal things start to make a difference real soon! Looking forward to hearing that you are having some success!
Take care
Tesss

Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

mjcm123 HB User

Hi TEsss. Happy to hear it is not the lungs or tubes! Is breathlessness your only symptom? Jen

Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Jen
Breathlessness is the main symptom. Since finding out that it might be gerd Ive started paying attntion to my stomach symptoms - ive had them all my life so thought it was normal! I get bloating, indigestion, fullness etc. Im tryng to change my diet and do all the life changes and I think it does help.
Hope you are getting on okay without the ppis.
By the way is dizzyness one of the side effects you get from the ppis? Just recall another Jen with that and wondered if it was the same person!

Best wishes
Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 04-13-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread