It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #16
Inactive
(female)

orangecrate HB User
Re: Post-surgical pain

I made it through the night with my husband and two dogs back in bed! I feel real good today and I have not take any pain pills. So I guess the worse is all over for me which is great with me!! It is so nice out I think I will get out and walk around and visit the neighbors!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I think I split my bellybutton open... I reached over to the side to grab something, and it sort of hurt, then it felt cold like it was wet. I looked in and there's a spot that looks sort of white and shiny (although the stuff they painted over the stitches is shiny, too). It definitely hurts more since then. It's weird, though, because I can't really tell if there's a hole there, or how far in it goes. Nothing is oozing out of it, so I guess it's okay. I just hope I didn't do any serious damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Ouch! Let's hope that your belly-button is ok. There was a couple times I thought I split mine open because I had some severe pain when I would try to get up using my stomach muscles, but it was fine. I still have a bruise around it 3 weeks after my surgery! Anyone know how long before it goes away?...it's not very pretty. My other incisions are nothing but scars now.
Anyone else been having some serious heartburn? Almost every night this week I have woken up with some bad heartburn.

Donna

Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I saw the doc today for my followup. He said that the pain was just scar tissue breaking up and that at this point I shouldn't be worried about splitting open my sutures. He cleared me for any activity I want to do and said that things are healing well. Apparently I had so many stones and some of them were so big that he actually had to enlarge one of the holes to pull it all out and had to crush some of the stones and take them out to get the gallbladder out. I had some that were over 2 cm! So that explains why the one incision is twice as long as the other three. He also found signs of chronic inflammation, so it's good that it's gone.

When I got home I noticed that some of the clear stuff that they painted over my incisions was peeling off of my bellybutton, so I started messing with it (and kept messing with it, and continued to mess with it) and (eventually) this huge chunk of that stuff came out. So that incision is pretty much healed, and now that I got that chunk of hard stuff out of there it feels a lot better! I'm trying to hold off on messing with the other ones, though, because they seem to be a bit more tender... maybe they are healing slower for some reason. I'm just annoyed because I still can't wear a bra because it rubs on the top incision. I complained to the surgeon about it... He said that all the women complain, but that's where it needs to be. I got some snug-fitting tank tops to wear that help a bit, but it's getting a bit warm here in Phoenix to be wearing two shirts (98 today)!

Anyway, I have read that bile refluxing into the stomach becomes more common after gallbladder removal. And bile is just as bad as acid and can cause gastritis. I don't know if acid reflux also increases. I haven't noticed an increase in acid reflux since my surgery, but I had a mild case before the surgery (as well as bile reflux and gastritis). I haven't had a decrease in symptoms, though.

I hope that everybody else is healing well and getting back on their feet!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #20
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

Glad to hear your doing so well. Hows the nausua now? Sounds like you made a good decision to have your gallbladder out. Did your tests before surgery show the stones that large?

Finally got the referral from my HMO to have mine out, still have to set up the appt to see the surgeon. My PCP couldn't give me any guarantee's that it will relieve all my pain because of the PLD but said it needed to come out.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:49 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

The upper GI x-ray showed slight GERD and also gastritis. The endoscopy showed bile reflux into the stomach and subsequent gastritis. The ultrasound showed "multiple stones" but the largest one they noted was about 1 cm. The HIDA scan showed delayed filling of the gallbladder (they weren't able to do the CCK part).

The first few days after surgery I felt great (other than the surgical pain); no more pain from my gallbladder and no more nausea. As I started eating more, I began having some nausea. I figured out that the nausea was correlated with bowel movements, which were quite loose. Things have been getting a bit more regular, and the nausea is better. Even though I had the nausea after surgery, though, it wasn't as bad as the nausea I had before surgery.

That's good that you finally got permission to get the surgery. Even if it dosen't solve all of your problems, if it is contributing to the symptoms at least it will be better. Hope you can get in to see the surgeon soon, because I know the waiting can drive you nuts. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #22
Inactive
(female)

orangecrate HB User

I feel really good today. I have pain if I try to lay on my left side which hurts my right lower back where I have had all that pain. I went to the mall Sun. and walked around. I felt fine until I had to sneeze!! The pain in my back was so bad when I took a breath in that I never sneezed. I have to have another x-ray in a few weeks. They said I had no blood clots but some congestion in my right lung. But it was not from the surgery!! Yea right!! I am off the pain pills now and can lay on my right side without any real pain. The one bigger hole above my belly button still burns like a lot. I have been putting Neosporian on it but it has not really helped. All the dried stuff came off and they really look pretty good so I don't know why the one burns!! I have not had any digestion problems of any kind. Use to have a lot of acid reflex and neasuea before the surgery. Mon. nite I went to an all you can eat buffet and probably ate things I shouldn't have but nothing bothered me. So I guess I am good to go now!!

Closed Thread