It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
(female)

Missy7 HB User
Unhappy Heart or bowel problems??

Hi all, I'm new to the board and I hope you can relate to this.

I get these attacks.... prominently when I go to bed at nights. It feels like as soon as I lie down, someone puts weights on my chest and it gets harder and harder for my heart to beat sufficiently. I get a really full feeling and it almost feels like my bowels are filled with gas and with each bubbling feeling, my heart feels like it's skipping a beat. My chest gets tighter especially when I lie on my side. As you can imagine, the discomfort keeps me up many hours at nights. Somehow the symptoms ease up when I sit up and I fall asleep like that, (giving me a stiff back and neck). Sometimes these symptoms make me feel lightheaded and because I'm constantly worried, I even wonder if I have a serious heart problem. I worry that I'll have a stroke and literally drop dead.

I recently had an ECG done which was normal. I also wore a 24hr heart monitor but as luck would have it, had no symptoms while it was on.

My doctor is sending me to chest X-rays and a barium swallow. I have been told that I have IBS but I feel that's a cop out for any stomach problem they can't seem to diagnose properly. I've been really good with my diet the past 4 months, even ensuring I stop eating 7pm every night so that I can fully digest my food before bed time. I can't seem to relate this problem to any cause in particular. All I know is that it's driving me crazy.

I would greatly appreciate any of your experiences which may be similar. Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Heart or bowel problems??

Missy I have the skipped heartbeats when I have hypothyroidism. YOu might not have any thyroid problems though. They happen especially after I eat which is from the slowing down of digestion with hypothyroidism.

HOpe you can find out what your problem is.

betty

Old 05-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

Wintergarden HB User

Hi Missy, I can completely relate to what you're going through. I'm also having skipped beats and palpitations in connection with my digestive problems, and it's driving me stark raving mad.

My G.I. doc thinks I'm having esophageal spasms, possibly in relation to reflux, and when I have them, I usually get the heart symptoms also. I'm also seeing a cardiologist, just to rule out any possible heart problem, and she has also said the palps and the digestive trouble can be related. The way she put it was, nothing in that part of the anatomy is hardwired seperately (i.e. the vagus nerve ennervates both the heart and the esophagus) so one thing can irritate the other.

Glad you've gotten your heart checked out, just to be on the safe side. Are you taking a PPI (Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex or Protonix)? You might ask your doc about the possibility of esophageal spasms. I have just been prescribed Levsin for this. It's supposed to smooth out spastic contractions throughout the gut. I've only been taking it a couple of days, but I am noticing a bit of an improvement.

Good luck and you certainly have my sympathy. This is a terrible thing to go through - especially the anxiety of not knowing what your heart is going to do from one moment to the next. I know what it's like to lay awake just waiting for the next episode - ugh! I confess I've resorted to Klonopin to help me sleep, although I hope to get off it as soon as these symptoms subside.

Wishing you all the best and let us know how you're doing.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:17 AM   #4
(female)

Missy7 HB User

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. I've been suspicious of thyroid problems or hormone imbalances too as I've had some unwanted hair problems for a few years now and I know they're hormone related. Unfortunately my body totally rejected the many different types of BCPs so I'm left wondering.

I booked myself in for a chest Xray and the barium swallow. I'm assuming I'll get the results in a few weeks. Depending on the results, I guess it'll be a matter of elimination until I get diagnosed.

My heart goes out to you, please keep me posted on how you guys are doing.

Chat soon
ME

Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
(male)

parabellum HB User

I have very similar problem. It feels like stomach is pushing against the heart, and if I lie down, I feel the heart beat through out the whole torso.
feels like my stomach is inflated from either gas or inflammation.

blood pressure is normal and heart beats are normal too, ekg is normal.

stomach is making a lot of noise, and gas build up in lower intestine, and I have to pass gas a lot.

when I burp, I feel like pressure to my heart has been eased, but just for few minutes.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabellum
I have very similar problem. It feels like stomach is pushing against the heart, and if I lie down, I feel the heart beat through out the whole torso.
feels like my stomach is inflated from either gas or inflammation.

blood pressure is normal and heart beats are normal too, ekg is normal.

stomach is making a lot of noise, and gas build up in lower intestine, and I have to pass gas a lot.

when I burp, I feel like pressure to my heart has been eased, but just for few minutes.
This sounds kind of like what I am experiencing.. and i have GERD... and I cant tell if its just that or something else. I sometimes feel my heart beating in random places (eyelid, neck, leg, arm, anywhere. it beats a lot kind of like a twitch and then stops after a minute or 2) Did you go to a doctor, and what did they tell you if you did?

Does anyone else know what this is??

Closed Thread