It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

jonp HB User
H PYLORI & CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME

hello

i am a 23 year old male living in the UK.

for the past 20 months i have been chronically ill. It seemed to start with a very bad viral infection which struck me down for 2 weeks. I had an ear infection which i took anti - biotics for about 2 months previous to this. Ive never recovered since.

i also went to a festival around 4 months before the virus - where i ate some dodgey food. irrelevant!? or not??

I was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome/ ME after 6 months of testing - blood tests, brain scan, balance tests. Nothing was found.

I have had symptoms like:

spaced out feeling/foggy brain, over-whelming fatigue, dizziness, very poor concentration, depression, anxiety, daily headaches, itchy skin at times, bad skin (especially the face - i never used to have bad skin), stinging eyes, memory loss, inability to exercise

For the past 8 months i started to notice that i got this pain in the stomach area when eating food (like a burning). I also had lots of gas, bloating, food repeating on me, and i always felt hungry no matter how much i ate.

8 months on after a blood test for bacteria in the stomach, a barium meal test and an endoscopy the docs found that my stomach is inflamed and the lining is not smooth, but all shrivelled up. They also took a biopsy but found nothing. They gave me proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). That was last week.

Today i went to see a homeopath. She carried out MORA therpay on me, which uses electromagnetic energy to find any problems with the body. The test showed that i do not have any allergies, but i have a problem with my stomach / oesophagus, and i have 70% candida albicans (normal is around 15%). She said that i DO have H pylori in the stomach, and i have leaky gut syndrome. She thinks that these could be the cause of my chronic fatigue/or whats been making me ill for nearly 2 years.

She has given me a few remedies to take for 6 weeks and then i have t go back to see if i have improved. She also told me to stop taking the PPI's the doc's gave me.

Does this sound like a H pylori infection?? Can this infection cause all the symptoms described above?? Should i see my doctor even though they got a negative test for H pylori

Im confused at what to do. I have had my life taken away for 20 months, and ive lost trust in whoever i see about treating me, although i will try anything. I stumbled across this site from a search on google, and became concerned when i read the article saying that CFS had similar symptoms to H pylori infection.

anyway ANY help would be very much appreciated,

Regards Jonathan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
(female)

Tzu HB User
Re: H PYLORI & CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME

Hi Jonathan .... I'm also in the UK I really sympathise ... not nice to battle like this at ur age ... at any age for that matter ... I have suffered for years with loads of symptoms like u describe and was also diagnosed with ME about 8 yrs ago. I have been convinced for a while now that I have HPylori ... but have never managed to get a blood test for it. I did get a breath test done about two yrs ago and they said it was negative. I did feel after the test that I did not do it properly ... but anyway I have battled on. Tomorrow I am having a colonoscopy ... for chronic diarrea. I don't know if they will also be looking for HPylori. But recently I got pain in my upper stomuch which was happening every morning first thing when I drank tea. It was excruitiating and my doc gave me Zantac for one month. I saw him yesterday and told him the pills had worked and that the pain is now gone (I had a month's supply). He said I must have had an ulcer ... so he has referred me back to the clinic now for an endoscopy .. again! I feel I go round in circles with doctors ... and I would say to you ... give the homeopath a good shot ... because really docs seem lost when it comes to things like ME ... plus ... HPylori is not always cured by the antibiotics and u have to have a second round ... they are very powerful antibiotics and create havoc with the natural bacteria in the stomuch. If ur homeopath cannot get u right (but I have a feeling she will if u stick it out) .. then go back to the doc and ask about the therapy for HPylori ... I must mention that I asked a doctor to give me the antibiotic treatment for HPylori about 5 yrs ago without a test or anything .. I felt my symptoms were showing that. The chronic diareea cleared up and things went well for about a year ... then we came here (I was in SA prior to that) ... and I picked up a tummy bug from eating at a restaurant ... I got severe diarrea and vomiting .. like food poisoning ... and the diarrea just never settled properly .. I was back to square one ... that was 4 yrs ago ... I feel if I get no results soon ... I must try a homeopath too ... and if thats no good ... beg my doc just to give me the antibiotics again and see what happens ... because I am sooo fed up with this ... it has basically ruined my life ... I'm 51 now ... seem to have been sick for yrs in fact ... and because I don't actually 'look' ill ... no one really understands except my husband ... he has been wonderful ... Anyway good luck with the homeopath

Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

RubyS HB User

Hi guys!
I had been diagnosed with H.plyori back in march..and as soon as i finished my two weeks of antibodics my symptoms (burning pain in my stomach and sides, traveling to my back) came back. I went back to the doctor he put me on prilosec for three weeks. For a while the pain seemed to be going away, but i still kept having a little here and there. Finally i had to go to another doctor cause i switched insurances..and this doctor now thinks i have IBS. Im so freakin stressed, nothing helps me with my burning pain. I think I might still have H.plyori..has any of you had the pain traveling to your sides? Im trying to get her to retest me but she wants me to do all these other tests first! UGH its getting quite annoying. Please let me know if any of you have had these symptoms...and also what is leaky gut syndrome and is it curable?

Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

RubyS HB User

Hi guys!
I had been diagnosed with H.plyori back in march..and as soon as i finished my two weeks of antibodics my symptoms (burning pain in my stomach and sides, traveling to my back) came back. I went back to the doctor he put me on prilosec for three weeks. For a while the pain seemed to be going away, but i still kept having a little here and there. Finally i had to go to another doctor cause i switched insurances..and this doctor now thinks i have IBS. Im so freakin stressed, nothing helps me with my burning pain. I think I might still have H.plyori..has any of you had the pain traveling to your sides? Im trying to get her to retest me but she wants me to do all these other tests first! UGH its getting quite annoying. Please let me know if any of you have had these symptoms...and also what is leaky gut syndrome and is it curable?

Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

RubyS HB User

Hi guys!

Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
(female)

ballina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanp
hello

i am a 23 year old male living in the UK.

for the past 20 months i have been chronically ill. It seemed to start with a very bad viral infection which struck me down for 2 weeks. I had an ear infection which i took anti - biotics for about 2 months previous to this. Ive never recovered since.

i also went to a festival around 4 months before the virus - where i ate some dodgey food. irrelevant!? or not??

I was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome/ ME after 6 months of testing - blood tests, brain scan, balance tests. Nothing was found.

I have had symptoms like:

spaced out feeling/foggy brain, over-whelming fatigue, dizziness, very poor concentration, depression, anxiety, daily headaches, itchy skin at times, bad skin (especially the face - i never used to have bad skin), stinging eyes, memory loss, inability to exercise

For the past 8 months i started to notice that i got this pain in the stomach area when eating food (like a burning). I also had lots of gas, bloating, food repeating on me, and i always felt hungry no matter how much i ate.

8 months on after a blood test for bacteria in the stomach, a barium meal test and an endoscopy the docs found that my stomach is inflamed and the lining is not smooth, but all shrivelled up. They also took a biopsy but found nothing. They gave me proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). That was last week.

Today i went to see a homeopath. She carried out MORA therpay on me, which uses electromagnetic energy to find any problems with the body. The test showed that i do not have any allergies, but i have a problem with my stomach / oesophagus, and i have 70% candida albicans (normal is around 15%). She said that i DO have H pylori in the stomach, and i have leaky gut syndrome. She thinks that these could be the cause of my chronic fatigue/or whats been making me ill for nearly 2 years.

She has given me a few remedies to take for 6 weeks and then i have t go back to see if i have improved. She also told me to stop taking the PPI's the doc's gave me.

Does this sound like a H pylori infection?? Can this infection cause all the symptoms described above?? Should i see my doctor even though they got a negative test for H pylori

Im confused at what to do. I have had my life taken away for 20 months, and ive lost trust in whoever i see about treating me, although i will try anything. I stumbled across this site from a search on google, and became concerned when i read the article saying that CFS had similar symptoms to H pylori infection.

anyway ANY help would be very much appreciated,

Regards Jonathan
Hi Jonathan sorry to hear youve been feeling so unwell. I dont want to you and your symptoms but they sound so much like mine ? Ive been feeling very tired now for a couple of years but its not your usual tiredness I feel tired even if ive gone to bed early like you I have bouts of depression my skin is dry and itchy at times and my eyes are dy aswell. As for exercise the thought is there but i just cant get round to do it and obviously the back latch of that is your muscles feel weaker and you put on weight ?(well i do anyway) Im convinced i have got an under active thyriod which produces a lot of your symptoms that you have. I also have gastril problems which apparently is one of the symtoms also if you dont have treatment for thyroid probs . I had a test for thyroid probs a few years ago but they came back negative i was devastated . My syptoms have stayed with me my doc said i should stop burning the candle at both ends I was so angry with him i felt he didnt believe me . Ive had some more test again (Iwent to a differebt doc) and i waiting for the results with anticipation. Please ask around your family if any of relatives parents grandparents have had any thyroid problems even if they havent please get your thyroid levels checked (sorry i went on a bit LOL) All the best and i hope you get better really soon keep us posted on your progress.
best wishes Geraldine in the UK.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 AM   #7
(female)

Tzu HB User

Hi ballina ... good idea to check out ur thyroid ... I have heard even if it is in the lower side of the normal range ... some people can benefit from treatment. I do in fact have thyroid trouble as well. I have whats called thyroiditis which is an auto immune problem .. as I understand it ... my immune system sees my thyroid as a foreign body and has attacked it destroying some of it and causing inflamation in it ... so my blood results show anti bodies and a raised TSH (higher than it should be) and the other one they measure (I think the actual thyroid hormone) is too low. Recently I went back to my doc and moaned about the chronic fatigue, skin rashes, sore muscles and joints etc ... he said lets test the thyroid again ... that was 8 weeks ago and it showed I was still a little out on both ... he said my TSH was still slightly higher than it should be and the other was only just into the lower part of normal .. so he increased my thyroid treatment to 75mcg ... then yesterday I saw him again and told him I feel no better ... so he has ordered another thyroid test to see if he needs to further increase the dose to 100mcg. Unfortunately at the moment ... I am also going through menopause and this is not helping to identify exactly what is going on now ... it seems to be making all my old symptoms worse ... but anyway I'm am keen to see what the results of the next test show (will only know next Friday). Now another thing that Jonathan mentioned is Candida ... I find Candida confusing ... because Doctors don't seem to acknowledge there is such a thing and yet homeopaths do ... I have read all about it and if there is such a thing ... well going on the amount of sugar I consume in tea every day ... it would not suprise me if I have that too. Incidently ... I did try and treat myself sevral years ago for Canida with the help of an untrained lady who owns a health shop. She gave me just about every product on the shelf (was thinking of her pocket I think) .. and I was so darned sick with that ... seemed to hit my one kidney hard .. I was in agony. I wondered if she had caused the Candida to 'die off' too quickly ... apparently u get a die off reaction when u treat it and it can make u feel grim. It is better to start with diet (no sugar what so ever ... along with Acidophilus capsules/tabs .. these are the good bacteria found in live yoghurt that help to fight off bugs and supress Candida .. ie keep the stomuch healthy ... sugar can destroy them) ... then 'gradually' introduce something like Capryllic Acid (all from the health shop) ... Capryllic Acid actually works on killing the Candida. This all should be enough to do it ... and it would take several months probably .. together with the diet to feel the benefits ... I wish I had the will power to try again ... maybe soon I will ... I'm getting desperate and I know sugar is NOT helping whatever is wrong with me. I could even find that sugar is my main problem. So thats my story ... I hope u get the results soon that u r looking for and can get ur health back to normal

Old 06-16-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
(female)

Tzu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyS
Hi guys!
Hi Ruby ... HPylori symptoms can vary slighty from person to person and I've read many people who are infected don't even have symptoms. The breath test is supposed to be very reliable (if u do it properly .. I feel I exhaled everything and had nothing left to exhale into the container ... I tried to explain that .. but the woman just said I'm sure it's fine and it was negative) ... so I have never been happy with that result. So I'd really like to know for sure I do not have that bug because it can be dangerous. If u feel u r still infected ... nag ur doc to check u out again ... if ur symptoms are all in ur digestive system ... keep telling her that and expressing ur concern about the HPylori ... It makes me mad that if they can't find the problem they just dump u in this box called IBS ... I am only getting a colonoscopy today because I asked for it ... my doc wanted to write the chronic diearrea off to IBS ... well thats fine ... but I do feel they must be absolutely sure it is not something more serious as I had a tumour in my bowel as a child and I really don't think they should just fob me off with IBS when I am constantly pouring diearrea ... good luck with ur search for an answer

Closed Thread