It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Judensmom HB User
Exclamation Hida SCAN wCCK

Hello,

Has anybody had a Hida Scan w CCK done? I had one yesterday and was told that my ejection fraction was only 33%. I think the normal is 35%. Would this constitute having the gall bladder removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Hida SCAN wCCK

Do you have any gallstones or pain? I don't think that they would remove it simply based on those test results without any other things. Although I would be cautious. It seems that a lot of people on these boards who don't have stones but have low gallbladder function have pain continuing after surgery, but that is just an observation and I could be completely off base.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I agree with Kehorner. I had mine removed because of Polyps and an inflamed wall. I am still dealing with nausea, and everything I was dealing with before it was removed. It's a risk you take having it removed. It might not solve your problems...especially if that is not it to begin with.

Donna

Old 06-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #4

Allinasmile HB User

I had mine taken out without ever hurting on my right side, I hurt in the middle of my breastbone. I had a endoscopy, ultrasounds, hida scan done and finally with the hide scan my ejection fraction was 5% a consultation with the surgeon was scheduled for the next day. I think it just depends on the doctor because before having it my surgeon told me that only 80% are cured but 20% still have the same symptoms even after the surgery. I can honestly say that my pain is less but the other results from having the surgery maybe I would have done better with keeping it. The aftermath is what kills ya.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

Judensmom HB User

I have had pain for 5 months now. Mostly in my chest. Nausea and between my shoulder blades. I had an ultrasound done but no stones. I can barely eat anymore without being sick. I have also been in the 4 times for all of this.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

MINIGal HB User

I had a HIDA scan with CCK and my ejection fraction was 16%. They advised me to have my gallbladder removed. I was having mid-back pain, sometimes on my right side, and trouble with indigestion and some nausea. No stones.

I recovered from the surgery more or less in a week (first 3 days were killer).

The pain I was having before started up again as soon as I could differentiate it from the post-surgical pain. And now it seems worse than before.

EGD test for ulcer was negative, as were other tests for pancreas disorder.

I'm going in for an ERCP as soon as they can schedule me. Dr. thinks my symptoms suggest Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction.

I also from time to have have epigastric/chest pain and pain between my shoulder blades -- so bad on one occasion that I went to the ER. All tests came back normal.

Having your gallbladder removed, assuming you have no stones, is unlikely to completely cure you, in my own "lay" opinion. The problem may be more generally with your duct system... But I will say that the indigestion and nausea I was experiencing are more or less gone; just left with the pain.

My best advice: find a doctor who is willing to see this through with you. Keep searching. I finally found one, and that right there made me feel better. First doctors I saw after my surgery wanted to write me off to "IBS" and put me on anti-depressants. I know the pain I'm having is not classic IBS pain, and my current doctor has confirmed that.

good luck...

Last edited by MINIGal; 06-24-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

How long does a Hida scan take? I was supposed to have one but lost my job and insurance when I became too sick to work.
I now have a new job with insurance again and I'm going to go back to my gastro doc and have the test done.

Are there any side effects of the meds they give you during the hida scan?

Thanks

Old 06-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

The hida scan takes 1 1/2-2 hours to do. The first part is about an hour and the second part 30 mins. First part they inject a radioactive dye into your vein that highlights your GB and then they take pics of your GB every 10 mins for an hour. Then they inject a drug called CCK that causes your GB to contract and squeeze the dye out. That's how they test how well it is functioning. That part takes about 30 mins.
Some people experience nausea after the CCK is injected, some feel pain--usually the ones that have an inflamed GB wall. The worst part for me was laying still through the whole thing.

Good Luck!
Donna

Old 06-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
(female)

Judensmom HB User

Hello all,

Thank you for your posts. When I had my hida scan done it was about 1 1/2 hours.. The inject the nuclear medicine in and took an xray every minute for an hour. Then they gave me the CCK. Within minutes I was very crampy and unconfortable. They took photos again every minute for 1/2 hour and that was it.

My GI called the radiologist that day and asked for verbal results. The radioogist told my doctor that my ejection fraction is 33%. My doctor wants to wait for the formal report before deciding anything. In the meantime I am still in pain and not able to eat. I'm lucky to eat a bowl of soup every other day. Has anyone else had results of 33% and had their gallblader removed?

Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
(female)

Judensmom HB User

Well, I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss my hida scan results. My doctors partner called me this morning to go over the results with me. (my doc is on vacation for 2 weeks) He told me "you have gall bladder disease and probably inflamation." So we'll see what the surgeon says tomorrow.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #11

Allinasmile HB User

My ultrasound came back normal as well with no stones, but just because you don't have any stones doesn't mean that your gallbladder is working. It took almost a year to finally find a doctor that would test me for any kinds of tests that would help. The first time my gastenterologist gave me some prevacid but I knew the whole time it didn't have anything to do with ulcers. If your gallbladder is bad, the Hida Scan will show it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Closed Thread