It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

canada_josh HB User
Exclamation Cramps and The "runs"

Hi...I am trying to figure out a huge problem I have had for about 5 years... I am 14 and get cramps and diarrhea...I have missed school before and have to lie to cover up why I was absent. It does hit at school and I am stuck in the washroom for a good 10 to 20 minutes. I have no clue what causes it but I get a attack about once a month sometimes more. Some foods I know cause this are:

-Lipton Chicken Soup
-Primo Roasted Chicken Soup

Packaged Noodles used to cause this
Hotdogs did too...but they dont anymore...

So far I only know some soups cause it...Does anyone else have this problem when they eat these foods...or this problem in general?

Thanks alot ^_^

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
(female)

rainbow_3113 HB User
Re: Cramps and The "runs"

Could be msg....some people are bothered by it. Check the label and see if there's any in what you ate.

I do relate to that though...I have gallbladder problems that caused diarrhea on occasion, in fact when I was a teen I thought I was lactose intolerant because icecream always gave me the runs.

I think I was 16 the first time that happened. I am now in my early thirties.

It is not necessarily that for you, of course,but looking back it was the first sign for me, and fairly young too at 16.

How is your general diet? do you eat a fair amount of junk or fatty foods? I had my share, as I never put weight on as a youngster.

If you don't have the best diet, even if you're thin, I would suggest a healthier diet (try not so much packaged and canned stuff, and more grains, veggies, fruits, wholewheat pastas etc...you know, the boring stuff ) It doesn't mean you can't have some of the good stuff, just try to make it a treat, you know? I ate a lot of fries and sweet stuff back then. Not good.
If I could, I would go back and eat better. I was not the nicest to my body, and now it is ****** at me. It's easy not to think about it when you're young though (OH GOD I suddenly feel...old )

I eat a lot better now, and I feel somewhat better overall (still have the gallbladder problems sometimes though).

If these suggestions don't help, and even if they do, talk to your doctor, even if it's embarrasing. There are lots of things that can cause diarrhea (bacterial infections etc,), and you don't have to suffer needlessly (been there, done that).

Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
(male)

canada_josh HB User

lol thanks ^^ well my diet isnt amazing...but its not that bad either...just for fun I will give you the most probable weekly eating I will do:

Monday to friday: Cereal or bagle, milk, fruit punch (those boxed juices), I drink alot of water, usually a sandwich or canned food for lunch, packaged noodles in the afternoon or a hotdog or something like that then dinner which could vary from stir fry to pizza.

Saturdays to sunday: Pancakes or french toast, something for lunch like the above and dinner is usually take out or something not super healthy..

also..I am like you heh I am quite thin..and cant grow a pound lol...I actually want to as people worry I may not eat enough lol. I definately do :P

anyways thanks alot.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
(female)

rainbow_3113 HB User

Forgot to tell you!

Try substituting the hotdog and/or packaged noodles ( I assume you are meaning like Ichiban type??) for something else. You wouldn't believe the fat and sodium in there. I don't like hotdogs (all that pigsnout, LOL) but I admit, the noodles are good. But they're so bad for you.

I find what helps me is to actually have something ready before hand (cut up the veggies , have a healthy - ish dip to make it taste better etc) because I like to take what's fast/easy.
I have a one year old now so I have an excuse, right?
And variety. I was so sick for a while I almost ate nothing but wholewheat pasta and sauce, applesauce, pretzels...and crackers I think? Oh man. It was miserable.

And try opting for less canned stuff (also often has lots of fat and sodium).

Try healthier fats like peanut butter, olive oil, avocado if you like them, even some saturated types like cheese and butter etc would be okay in moderation, just become a label reading freak and avoid anything that says hydrogenated oils (bad bad BAD stuff, that). If you already don't put weight on easily, you don't want to go nuts with no fat (makes you sad to hear that, doesn't it?? )

Even if fat isn't the cause of the runs, it's not a bad thing to miss out on that trans fat (hydrogenated oils).

Really, your diet doesn't sound that bad (except those noodles and dogs), from what I read. Just be really aware of everything you eat for a while. THis is a pain but really helped me - I wrote down everything (and I mean everything) I ate and drank for a month, and really noticed patterns in what was causing me pain and misery. Might help! And you could bring it with you to the doctor...espec if you notice a trend, and the diarrhea tends to happen after eating (does it? or is it more random?)

There are lots of healthy recipes you could encourage your family to try. Personally I don't like to eat healthy if it's not at least okay tasting. Luckily it's better than it used to be, more and more good tasting healthy stuff out there.

Water is good, btw! And low fat milk (Yes, some will argue that....)

I just realised...I really sound like a mom, huh???? LOL! Hope I didn't "nag" too much!

Old 07-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
(male)

canada_josh HB User

lol nah :P you just sounded like Martha stewart for a bit :P but thanks for all the tips ya I've been drinking low fat milk for a few years now...just because my parents decided they needed a change :P it actually tastes better...I find all 2% stuff tastes sour now lol. well it could be the expiry date but who looks at that

The Diarrhea and cramps happen at random it seems....unless I eat the soups mentioned above...Then I know I may be in trouble heh

thanks again

Closed Thread