It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User
Question Posterior (back) ulcer pain

Have any of you suffered from this? And what were your other symtoms? Here's my saga...
For the last month I've been having stomach troubles. I've been on prilosec otc (and others on and off) for years for gerd and the doctor thinks I have ibs also. Now I have a gnawing, sometimes burning pain in my upper abdomen and left side abdomen but the worst pain is in my back. I went to urgent care 2 weeks ago, he prescribed nexium (took 3 days and seemed to make everything worse) and pepcid ac at nite. He thought possible cdiff from a month long round of antibiotics i had in may, or maybe posterior ulcer pain. At a followup with my doctor a couple days later he seemed to think it was pleurisy because of the location of the pain and gave me mobic, which really tore up my stomach. He took a chest xray. I am still convinced its my stomach as the pain lessens when I eat, but if I eat something like lettuce or raw stuff it gets worse about an hour later and stays that way for a few hours. I have small periods throughout the day when I feel almost normal with no pain....like yesterday I felt good, went shopping, felt the pains coming on in my back and sides and foolishly ate a fish sandwich and fries from mcdonalds and a couple hours later I had the worst pain and rumbling and gas and nausea. I quit taking everything about a week ago, but last nite I did take a pepcid ac and half an ativan and it seemed to help some. This morning I woke up with the gnawing feeling so I drank an ensure and ate a bowl of cornflakes. I don't feel pain anywhere right this minute, but I just generally feel like heck...almost a flu like feeling without the temperature. I don't have blood in my stool (that I can see anyway), have soft movements and sometimes yellow diarrhea....but I think thats from not eating much because I'm afraid to eat hardly anything. Heartburn about an hour after I eat unless I take the pepcid. The pain is on my sides (mostly left) at bra band level and sometimes between my shoulder blades too. Have any of you with an ulcer ever felt this way or similar? I have my regular pap/physical appt on wednesday and am hoping to get an answer then. I was also thinking possible hpylori? I'm not sleeping well from this and the anxiety it brings and thats not helping either, I 'm sure.
Thanks for any help you can give me...
Conni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Posterior (back) ulcer pain

Kinda sounds like what I am dealing with. I have gastritis and I get a pain right between my rib cages but more to the left that sometimes goes to my back--left side. My dr. mentioned it could be an ulcer after I told him I also get burning on an empty stomach. He put me on Sucralfate but that makes me feel 1000 times more nauseous. I get diarrhea (yellow colored) if I go long periods without eating anything and drinking acidic drinks like orange juice. I get cramping in my abdomen after eating(but I think that is due to not having a gallbladder) and I get nauseous on an empty stomach which food sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.
I am taking 40 mg Pantoloc(Protonix) and it seems to help with the nausea most of the time but it also makes me feel like I have a brick in my stomach after eating only a tiny bit.
I also wonder if I might have H. Pylori. I have had this Gastritis for ages and nothing seems to be heping to cure it. I was tested for H. Pylori when I had an endoscopy done but I was also taking Pariet(aciphex) at the time and was told that can cause a negative result for the bacteria. Dr. refuses to do a blood test for it because I was already tested for it

Sorry I wasn't any help but I understand what your going through!
Donna

Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Donna...
Thanx so much for the reply, this is literally driving me nuts, can't eat, can't sleep...geez.
I don't have a gallbladder either, removed 27 years ago. I hope my doc gives me something or orders something so I can get some relief. Do you have nausea from your gastritis? I'm not really sure what gastritis is, but I just got done having a heaving session over the porcelian throne and all that came up was some glear mucus...more like dry heaves. But I haven't ate since early this morning either. Maybe I'll try some toast. UUuuuugghhh
Thanx again,
Conni

Old 07-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Yes, I do have nausea with my gastritis. Especially if I don't eat for long periods of time or if I eat something like french fries, fried chicken anything that's loaded with fat/grease. The nausea use to be pretty severe a while ago to the point I couldn't eat anything but crackers and drink gatorade, but since I have been on Pantoloc the nausea isn't as severe and I can eat alot more then just crackers. I still have the odd day where I can only eat bland food and in small amounts, but I am beginning to have more good days then bad.
Gastritis is inflamation of the stomach. It can be caused by many things like bad diet, H. Pylori bacteria, alcohol, NSAIDS(Aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) and bacterial infections to name a few.
Have your dr. set you up for an endoscopy. That will tell you if there is anything wrong with your stomach ex. ulcer, gastritis, acid reflux, hiatal hernia.
Also, if you are on a certain PPI and it doesn't seem to be working, have him change you to another. I went through Ranitidine(Zantac) and Pariet(Aciphex) which didn't help at all before I went to the hospital for pain under my left rib cage and they prescribed me Pantoloc which is alot better then the other ones. Everyone's different in how they react to PPI's. One may not work for you while it works for others and vice-versa. You just have to keep trying different ones until you find one that works for you.

Sorry to hear your feeling so bad today and I hope you feel better soon!
Donna

Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Thanx Donna
I actually went to my moms this afternoon and ran some errands for her and cleaned part of her house (in 100 degree weather, no air) and I actually feel better, still in discomfort but guess I'm not fatal yet if I can forget the pain for awhile. I ate a turkey sandwich and drank an ensure but I think thats it for me for the day. Did you lose weight with your problem? I've lost about 8 lbs in the last 4 weeks, prolly cause I'm not eating right. but I can stand to lose weight, so unless its something horrible causing it, i'm not complaining.
I did hear that ppi's could cause a false reading on an hpylori test and thats kinda why i stopped taking them, if theres some buggy in there I want them to find it!!! I go wednesday morning, hope I have better days until then! I've only ever been on Prilosec, then aciphex (which worked and then gerd settled down so I stopped) and then prilosec otc for about 2 years and then the nexium the urgent care doc gave me, which about killed me the three days i took it, had horrible worse nausea and headaches.
Take care,
Conni

Old 07-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Yes, I did lose weight with it. I went from weighing about 138 lbs down to now weighing 110. That in a matter of months from not being able to eat anything but crackers and gatorade. I am slowly gaining some back...VERY slowly though.
Glad to hear your doing better today!

Donna

Old 07-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Donna...
thanks again for the replies. My doctor appt got put off til next thursday so I guess I'm in for another week of this junk. Question...did your pain ever just leave abruptly? I've noticed the last week or so that at times it feels like it just goes away, I feel good again until I eat and then I have varying degrees of discomfort. I didn't have a bm or burp, it just went away after feeling nauseaous most of the day. Now I just feel bruised a bit in the area, but a much "lighter" feeling is the best way I can put it. Strange...but I had a bit of lettuce last nite and I'm wondering if that could have caused it. gggrrrrrr I did notice that this morning I took a pepcid for minor heartburn and nausea and 2 tylenol for cramps and it seemed to get worse, more nausea. Its almost like when the tylenol wore off (about 6 hours) things got better. Maybe my tummy isn't digesting like it should. Did different meds ever upset yours?
Glad to hear that you're having more good than bad days...I hope to be there soon too!!
Conni

Last edited by 1awesomegranny; 07-26-2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Conni,

I do get episodes of weird stabbing pains that last a few seconds and then go away in the stomach area. The burning pain I have on an empty stomach sometimes goes away on it's own but usually doesn't until I eat something. Like yesterday, I was having some major cramping type pains right between the rib cages--more to the left and as soon as I ate something like a minute or two later the pain subsided. That is what is making me think I have an ulcer. The endoscopy I had about 6 months ago said there was no ulcers just gastritis.
Have you been tested for gastroparesis(slow emptying of the stomach)? It can cause you too feel nauseous because the food just sits in your stomach for hours and hours. I haven't been tested for this but my dr. wanted me to take Domperidone for it anyways but the side effects of that are unreal! , so I haven't taken it.
I have the same problem with taking any pain relievers. The nausea gets 100 times worse.

Sorry to hear your appt. got put off, but hopefully you feel good in the meantime!

Donna

Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
(female)

cwebster77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1awesomegranny
Have any of you suffered from this? And what were your other symtoms? Here's my saga...
For the last month I've been having stomach troubles. I've been on prilosec otc (and others on and off) for years for gerd and the doctor thinks I have ibs also. Now I have a gnawing, sometimes burning pain in my upper abdomen and left side abdomen but the worst pain is in my back. I went to urgent care 2 weeks ago, he prescribed nexium (took 3 days and seemed to make everything worse) and pepcid ac at nite. He thought possible cdiff from a month long round of antibiotics i had in may, or maybe posterior ulcer pain. At a followup with my doctor a couple days later he seemed to think it was pleurisy because of the location of the pain and gave me mobic, which really tore up my stomach. He took a chest xray. I am still convinced its my stomach as the pain lessens when I eat, but if I eat something like lettuce or raw stuff it gets worse about an hour later and stays that way for a few hours. I have small periods throughout the day when I feel almost normal with no pain....like yesterday I felt good, went shopping, felt the pains coming on in my back and sides and foolishly ate a fish sandwich and fries from mcdonalds and a couple hours later I had the worst pain and rumbling and gas and nausea. I quit taking everything about a week ago, but last nite I did take a pepcid ac and half an ativan and it seemed to help some. This morning I woke up with the gnawing feeling so I drank an ensure and ate a bowl of cornflakes. I don't feel pain anywhere right this minute, but I just generally feel like heck...almost a flu like feeling without the temperature. I don't have blood in my stool (that I can see anyway), have soft movements and sometimes yellow diarrhea....but I think thats from not eating much because I'm afraid to eat hardly anything. Heartburn about an hour after I eat unless I take the pepcid. The pain is on my sides (mostly left) at bra band level and sometimes between my shoulder blades too. Have any of you with an ulcer ever felt this way or similar? I have my regular pap/physical appt on wednesday and am hoping to get an answer then. I was also thinking possible hpylori? I'm not sleeping well from this and the anxiety it brings and thats not helping either, I 'm sure.
Thanks for any help you can give me...
Conni
Did you ever find out what was gnawing at you for so long? Was it an ulcer assoiciated with back pain. I have back pain and stomach pain. It feels like my back and stomach are fused together and are trying to rip apart. I just found out today that I have an ulcer. But I dont know how I got it or how to get rid of it. I just wanted to know if you found out what your health issue was.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
(female)

honeypot99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster77 View Post
Did you ever find out what was gnawing at you for so long? Was it an ulcer assoiciated with back pain. I have back pain and stomach pain. It feels like my back and stomach are fused together and are trying to rip apart. I just found out today that I have an ulcer. But I dont know how I got it or how to get rid of it. I just wanted to know if you found out what your health issue was.
Oh my God! I have been battlling this for a month now myself with the exact same signs. Yesterday I went to the emergency room & had an ultrasound which came back normal. I also had a CT scan which also came back normal with my organs, kidneys, gallbladder, bladder, pancreas, stomach. This machine does not read ulcers though, but that's what they thought in the end. I was sent home to make an appt with no relief at all with a gas dr. Forgive my lack of medical terminolgy. I feel it was the influenza which I did have musclular a few week ago, but the burning back pain they thought was pleurisy too. Was put on Naproxen which seems to have caused the ulcer. I have not had the ulcer diagnosed yet, nor really want to, but I can't eat much without the excruciating pain after. I am on Maalox alot, I got tested for the Hpolri which came back negative. I thought for sure this was a bacterial infection after the flu. I am currently on amoxicillin, a little better but not normal. Yesterday was awful after I at rice brocolli small bite of fish..
I wish someone could help me too! I am so sick. I missed days & days of work. I feel like something god awful is attacking me yet not much of a fever when the attacks hit, but I am not eating.
help us
Sandi

Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
(female)

honeypot99 HB User

I have had the same symptoms & ended up in the emergency room yesterday.
I started out with thinking pleurisy burning pain around the bra area. I had a HPlori test came back negative. Yesterday I had an ultrasound came back normal, next I had a CT scan for pelvic abdominal nothing. Left the hospital with no answers nor relief. Wanted to to be checked for ulcers is where I sit.
I have never been so miserable in my life. I am 44 & can't eat without such pain. My sides burn so bad my uper back, on occassion my lower burning like it's spreading thoughout my spine & down. I don't know. I am still convinced this is something to do with the influenza which I had supposedly a few weeks ago. I am praying that I get better. I hope someone from here can help too. I can't believe this is an ulcer though. I am not convinced this is in association with the bird flu people were expecting. Something is wrong here!
Sandi

Last edited by honeypot99; 04-30-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I "am" convinced this might be in association withthe socalled bird flu. somebody should research symptoms for the influen

Closed Thread