It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User
Prevacid Side Affects? My Gosh!!!!

Good morning everyone
I have been hesitant to start this Prevacid Solutab the GI doc gave me on Friday after my scope because when I took a few doses a few yrs ago it made my heartburn 10 times worse so I've been putting it off and now I know why!!.. I went this morning and checked out the side affects you can have with Prevacid? Good GOD there a BOOK there.. I KNOW I need something to help me start to heal but this stuff has a bigger chance of killing me than the gastritis does!.. I then checked the side affects of the Protonix which I have been been taking for a few months and they are MINIMAL compaired to Prevacid.. I also noticed it says the recommended dose of protonix for inflammation etc is 40 mgs 2 times a day Im only one ONCE a day and maybe that's why its not helping too much.. Im listing here for everyone the side affects for both meds.. I have decided I am NOT taking the prevacid and will call and ask if I can up my protonix dose.. I SO wish there was a way to heal naturally these drugs are down right horrifying....

PROTONIX
What side effects may occur?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, tell your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Protonix.

More common side effects may include:
Diarrhea, headache

Less common side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, burping, gas, nausea, vomiting

Rare side effects may include:
Insomnia, rash
PREVACID
What side effects may occur?
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, tell your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Prevacid.

More common side effects may include:
Diarrhea

Less common side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, constipation, nausea

Rare side effects may include:
Abnormal thinking and dreams, acne, aggravation of hostility, agitation, allergic reaction, anemia, anxiety, apathy, arthritis, asthma, back pain, bad breath, belching, black or discolored stools, bleeding gums, blood in the urine, breast development in males, breast enlargement, breast pain and tenderness, bronchitis, chest pain (including severe pain), chills, colitis, confusion, convulsions, cough, coughing up blood, deafness, decreased or increased sex drive, dehydration, depression, diabetes, difficult or labored breathing, difficulty swallowing, dizziness, dry or inflamed eyes, dry mouth, ear disorders, enlarged abdomen, eye pain, fainting, fever, fluid retention, "flu-like" symptoms, flushing, gallstones, gas, general feeling of illness, gout, hair loss, hallucinations, heart disorders, hiccups, high blood pressure, high or low blood sugar, hives, impotence, increased activity or sensations, increased appetite, increased salivation, indigestion, infection, inflammation of the esophagus or mouth, inflammation of the stomach lining, itching, joint or bone disorders, kidney problems, kidney stones, leg cramps, loss of appetite, low blood pressure, memory loss, menstrual problems, mouth and tongue disorders, mood swings, muscle, bone, or joint pain, neck pain or rigidity, nervousness, nosebleeds, pain, paralysis, pelvic pain, pneumonia, *****ling, tingling, or pins and needles, rash, rectal hemorrhage, rectal and bladder spasms, respiratory and lung disorders, ringing in ears, runny nose, shock, sinusitis, skin disorders, sleep disorders, sore throat, stomach and intestinal hemorrhage, stroke, sweating, taste alteration, thirst, throbbing heartbeat, thyroid problems, tremors, tumors, urinary problems, vaginal inflammation, vertigo, visual disturbances, vomiting, weakness, weight gain or loss, wheezing, yeast infection

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Prevacid Side Affects? My Gosh!!!!

I am on Protonix(Pantoloc here in Canada) and I seem to get all of the side effects listed--well except the vomiting--thankfully. It seems to be helping to keep my nausea and reflux to a minimum though. I am only taking 40 mg a day--my dad is on the same and he is only taking 20 mg a day.
Ranitidine(Zantac in the US) caused some pretty unpleasant side effects for me and didn't seem to help at all.
Aciphex (Pariet here in Canada) was ok side effect wise but didn't seem to help at all either.
I don't think I want to try the Prevacid..it looks horrible!

Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 AM   #3
(female)

lindalee15 HB User

I have used prevacid for about 5 years now. I didn't have any side effects from it at all. Fast forward to last year. I started feeling very short of breath and just feeling bad. Never thought it could be the prevacid. Went through allergy testing, had 2 EGD's done - I have a hiatial hernia and in May found out I had a stomach ulcer and polyps. I asked the gastro Dr. at my appointment could the prevacid make me feel bad and he told me "no, it's one of the safest drugs out there". See the primary care Dr. and asked him the same thing. He gave me the very same response and said people take it forever. I had a feeling it might be the prevacid and sure enough that's what it is. What amazed me even more is finding out that there are people on this board who have had the very same problems on it. Do Dr.'s never put 2 and 2 together? They have had to hear from others about shortness of breath. Now I don't know what to do about the reflux, aciphex and protonix do not work and I am so afraid to keep taking the prevacid - I haven't had it in 2 days and the indigestion is horrible. I just keep popping tums but that doesn't work either. Prevacid does keep the reflux in check but the side effects that I've had for the past year just aren't worth it.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi all,

I am not saying that prevacid did not cause you all problems. I just wanted to comment on the side effects......for all drugs, actually.

The drug studies are done. Let's say there are 100 people in the study for a week. If one person happens to have a headache that week, or diarrhea, or gets a cold, then it must be listed as a possible side effect. This is with all drugs.

Don't let those listed side effects on drugs freak you out. Just watch your body, and let you doctor know if you have or feel any changes, when on any Rx.

Hope this helps.
sobs

Old 08-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
(female)

_mishy HB User

now im scared to take pravicd..thats what the doc gave me

Old 09-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
(male)

shaloba HB User

okay well me and my friends went to drink and i've been on prevacid for a while and drank some taquilla (don't know if spelled right) i drnk more than one friend and about as much as the other if not more...nothing this was my first time drinking and my friends were on the border line of drunk i was wondering if this was because of prevacid or do i have a tolerance to it?

Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I know that my stomach was constantly burning and upset feeling from prevacid and I also had diarreah from it. I didn't like it at all. Sorry, I hope you find something that helps. I've heard nexium and acifex are really good.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

Now I am also scared to take Prevaid.
I was on Nexium for a very short time, less than a week.
I had a bad allergic reaction to Nexium. I broke out in a rash all over my stomach, my bloating and burning in my stomach were twice as bad as before I took it and constantly burping.
I am scared that the Prevaid will make my symptoms worse.
I already can't hardly swallow liquids and I really feel like my esophagus is narrowed because my throat is irritated every time I eat or drink anything.
It feels like it is just scraping down my throat.
But I also have horrible horrible sinus drainage and that could be doublely irritating to my throat.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi ham,

I certainly hope that you are seeing a doctor for your esophageal problems. There are many meds out there that can help.

If you are worried about prevacid, then ask your doctor about going back to one of the good old standards like tagamet. Also, ask him to explain the difference between prevacid and nexium...........or ask your pharmacist. It could be that one of the "inactive" ingredients in nexium made you sick.

I'm so sorry about your problems. Hope you find help and relief soon.

sobs

Closed Thread