It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Question Last Attack was very scary......

Good Morning Everyone
I really hope that someone can help me and tell me if these attacks that I have been getting sound like a gallbladder problem. My last attack was last night and I am still slightly suffering. This all started about 6 months ago and this is about my 8th attack. It took a lot of will power not to call 911 last night, as it seems that each attack get worse.

First let me start by saying that I had eaten an egg salad sandwich yesterday, late afternoon. I then took a nap and awoke in so much pain and was also covered from head to toe in sweat. I could barely get up from my couch and I new this was yet another attack of some sort. The pain was severe, and I felt this through my entire back, chest & stomach. I forced myself to get up and try and walk around to see if this would help and on my prior attacks it did help a little bit. I also notice with each attack that I feel extremely bloated as if I need to pass gas and I cannot. As I started to try and walk around, I started to feel very weak as if I would fall to the floor. I then sat up in my recliner and within a few minutes I started to get extremely cold and started to shiver. I could barely talk without pain and everything in my back, chest & stomach felt very tight. I had my son get me my pain medication, which is MS Contin 30mg. I have many other medical problems and I take this med on a daily basis. Well, it only gave slight relief for my pain. I did manage to fall asleep sitting up, for a couple of hours. I also forgot to mention that I had started to get worry that this pain might cause a heart attack as my chest was so tight and painful, and this made me very worried.

When I awoke a few hours later, the pain was still their but bearable as I am used to dealing with pain on a daily basis for other reasons. I made a pot of coffee and after I drank my first cup, I was able to pass some gas, as during the whole attack I felt as if I needed to. My stomach was making all these gurgling sounds and I realized that if I passed some gas that I would feel a bit better as this has happened on every attack.

I am now extremely worried about getting another attack, because it seems as if each one gets worse. If my next attack was to get any worse than this attack, I am worried that I might actually pass out from the pain.

My question is, "Do these attacks sound familiar to anyone?" I keep thinking their is a possibility that this may be my gallbladder, but most postings that I have read here state that it is pain under right ribs. My first attack did start with pain under both ribs.

I haven't told my doctor about this yet, as I am afraid of more surgery. I had a surgery for my bladder in August, and a neck fusion in September that I am still recovering from. Please if anyone can give me any information, it would be very much appreciated.
Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 - September 12, 2005

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
PolyNeuropathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Last Attack was very scary......

Absolutely sounds like gallbladder....an egg salad sandwich! UGH! Prescription for gallbladder attack. You might try a low fat diet and see if it helps. I mean really low fat....no mayo, no butter, nothing fried, no eggs, no cream, no cheese, little or no red meat...etc. My worst attack was after a cheeseburger...and though I've had my gallbladder out since then, I'm scared to eat one - and it's been a year! Just the memory of the pain is enough. If you do have to have it out, the surgery is a breeze...outpatient...in and out in about 5 hours...I jogged 2 miles a week later.
Good luck!

Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

desertflower HB User

My mothers gallbladder attacks were almost identical to yours. She never really did have the right sided attacks that seem to be the norm.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Good Morning All
Thank you Titchou & Desertflower for your responses to my posting. Your information did help me, especially telling my what foods that I should not eat. It will be difficult to follow both a low fat diet and a low car diet as I also have diabetes. But I really have know choice in the matter.

I had another attack this past Sunday. It came out of nowhere and got so intense with each passing minute. I had taken my pain meds and even increased the dosage to 60mg of MS Contin. Well, the pain still got so bad that I could barely stand up and got to the point that I was not only crying, but screaming. I really scared the heck out of my husband and son. My husband took me to the ER, but halfway there the pain stated to diminish. I made my husband turn around and take me home. This of course caused a slight argument as my hubby was afraid to leave me home the following day when he would go to work. But like I said, I really don't want another surgery at this time.

I will be making an appointment for next week to see my primary doctor. I guess it is time to tell him about these attacks. I also have a gastro but her office is much further away and I figured that I will have primary order testing and if necessary, I will then go to my gastro.

My latest attack has left me with continuous chest pain, although it is not severe. I also feel very bloated and my whole rib area feels swollen. At least my mid back pain is gone.

For those of you that have had gallbladder attacks, did your doctors put you on any medication prior to having surgery. I already take Nexium twice a day for my Reflux but was wondering what other meds could be taken. I did take Reglan for two years, but since it stopped working for my, my gastro said to stop taking it. I also read a lot of information about serious side effects from Reglan and learned that were people that suffered with complications from this med and their were law suits because of it. Also learned that this med should not be taken for a period of over 6 months.

My husband also has Gerd and has a medication called, "Clidinium/CDP". I was wondering if anyone was prescribed this medication and if it did indeed help them.

I also have three sisters that had Gallbladder Surgery, and they all said that their pain was not as bad as mine. They all only had their pain under ribs. My sister-in-law also had her Gallbladder removed and still suffers with gallstones. I was under the impression that if you did have your gallbladder removed that you would know longer suffer with any more complications. I guess some people aren't so lucky.
Jeanne

Old 10-29-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Good Morning Everyone
I finally went to my primary doctor this week and told him about my painful attacks. He gave me a script to get a sonogram. I went for this test on Thursday morning. Yesterday morning I had taken a nap and again woke up with a severe attack. This one lasted about 25 minutes as I took my pain medication as soon as I woke up and once again doubled my dose. During this attack I had also vomitted, probably from the pain. After the attack I called my doctor's office to see if they had gotten my sono report yet. They said yes and that my doctor would call me after he is done seeing his patients. When he called he told me that I have many small gallstones, to many to count, and wants me to see a surgeon immediately. I also had him fax me my report and here is what it said.

Real-time imaging of the abdomen reveals the liver has a coarsened echotexture with poor penetration suggesting mild fatty infiltration. The gallbladder is not distended but multiple small layering gallstones are seen consistent with cholelithiasis. There is no gallbladder wall thickening and the patient does not demonstrate a sonographic Murphy's sign at this time. The common bile duct in not dilated measuring 5 to 6 mm in size.

The right kidney measures 11.7 cm in length while the left kidney measure 13.8 in length without mass or hydronephrosis. The spleen is normal. The pancreas and aorta are within normal limit.
Impression: Cholelithiasis.

So it looks as if I will call the surgeon that my primary doctor has referred me to on Monday. I am praying that I don't have any more attacks over the weekend. I really didn't want another surgery but I cannot handle this pain any longer. I was wondering if anyone else had a report like mine? I was also wondering since I have multiple stones, will my surgery take longer? Thanks for any information that anyone can give me.
(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)

Old 10-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

norcalgirlie25 HB User

Hello,

First I would like just to say that I am sorry you have to have your gallbladder removed. I also sympathize with you for the attacks you have had.

My case is a little different than yours but I had my gallbladder removed 10/19 of this year. I am only 17 years old, active and in pretty good health, so this is pretty unusal.
That being said, my case goes back about 1 year ago. I will just give you a quick little run down. First it just started where everytime I would eat my stomach would hurt really bad. Then it progressed to where anything I would eat or drink my stomach would bloat. The bloating was so horrible, I looked as if though I was pregnant. I went to the doctor so many times. They would say either I had acid reflux or it was just stress and they would just give pills and say try this and nothing worked. My mom and I were getting so fed up because they wouldnt run any tests.

I would get attacks were it would hurt right in the middle of my ribcage straight through my back. Then on 10/17 my mom and I went out to dinner and I ate some french fries(I dont normally eat anything fried)and everything was fine. After dinner we went to a movie and about half way through the movie I started getting the pain through my ribcage to my back but nothing like I have ever had before. I felt like I was having a heart attack or dying. It was the most painful and scariest thing I have been through. I could barely make it out of the movie theater. My mom rushed me to hospital and I collasped on the floor once we got in there. They put in a IV in me and gave me Dilaudid(one of the strongest medicines they have) and it took the pain away in a matter of minutes.

They admitted me into the hospital that night and the next morning I went and had a sonogram. Then the next day I had my surgery. My surgery lasted one and half hours. I was back in my room in hour after. They did it laparoscopy. They said my gallbladder was very inflamed and I had alot of stones.(they never told me how many..just that I had ALOT of them)They had to put a drain in my stomach because I had a bad infection from the gallbladder.

I ended staying in the hospital for 8 days. I had a stone escape when they were taking out my gallbladder and went into the bile duct that goes into you liver. They said that rarely happens.

I am still a little sore from the surgery but again my story is different than most. Most people go in one day and are out the same day. Sorry to write so much.

Well I wish the most luck and I will pray that everything goes fine. Good Luck with everything and please let us know how everything turns out.
Norcal

Old 10-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kops2da HB User

Just to let you know you are not alone. I, too, have/had the same symptoms for a couple months. Finally got a sonogram that showed gallbladder full of stones. I have appointment with surgeon in a week. In the meantime, eating very lowfat/fatfree has kept me from having an attack for days now. I eat food like fruit, fatfree yogurt, bread w/jelly, lowfat cottage cheese, etc. I eat every two hours - small amounts to give my gallbladder chance to process and that helps. This conditions could be very dangerous so we both have to have it out! Unlike you, I am 65 and have never had surgery or been in a hospital so I am a little scared but I hate to be in pain also. Good luck to you and check out this website - 90% of the gallbladder removal surgery is now laproscopic...
http://www.upmc.edu/minsurg/LapGallbladder.htm
Elaine

Old 10-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

PLEASE stick to a low fat diet...it's the ONLY thing that help prevent these attacks. Doesn't have to be low carb...just low fat...nothing fried, no mayo, butter, etc. I lived on plain turkey and chicken sandwiches during my episode. But now that you have vomiting to go along with all the other, you really need to have it out soon. And it really shouldn't take any longer...unless you are overweight which can complicate things. Good luck! And truly, watch your diet.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Norcal
I am sorry that you had to suffer for so long with so much pain. Gosh, what is wrong with some of these doctors. I can't believe that they just diagnosed with Reflux or stress without running any sort of testing. I sure can understand how upset both you and your mom were. And I am sorry that you had to have this surgery at such a young age. Then to top it off you had to stay in the hospital for 8 days. I think that would drive me nuts as I really hate being in the hospitable. I thank you very much for sharing your story. I will keep you in my prayer's for a full recovery with less pain.
Hello Elaine
I am doing my best to stay on the low fat diet. It's funny that you mention jelly as I had just read the label on my jar a few days ago and found out that their is no fat in it. Needless to say I have been eating a lot of jelly toast. I am also sorry that you to suffer with these gallbladder attacks. Wow, 65 and you have never had a surgery, that is absolutely great. You sound like a healthy individual to me, other than the gallbladder that is. Try not to worry yourself about surgery, as I have been through six this past 2 years and some of them have been major ones. They are a piece of cake, but I have normally been giving pain medications afterwards and it has kept me comfortable. I thank you for responding and will keep you in my prayers that you will have your surgery soon and get out of this pain, and also a speedy recovery.
Hello Titchou
I am pretty much sticking to the low fat diet & low carb diet. I am also a type 2 diabetic and that is the need for my low carb diet. But I have learned just how much fat many things contain after ready labels on everything. I did switch to 2% milk as I have always drank whole milk. I also have an appointment today with the surgeon, so hopefully I will be able to get this gallbladder out very soon, depending upon the surgeon's schedule. I will post again after my appointment. Thank you so much for all you help.

(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)

Old 11-02-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

You know, I never think about milk! I don't drink it all so thinking to ask people about that just never crosses my mind. Good that you've changed to 2%...and yes, it's amazing how much fat is in stuff. Like I've said before.... I lived on plain turkey sandwiches for about 3 months...very boring diet but it really helped. And be sure to stick with the same diet for 4-6 weeks after surgery...it will help the bile duct they leave get to working properly before you start slowly introducing fats back in your diet.
Keep us posted!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
(female)

norcalgirlie25 HB User

Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers and i have you in my as well. Please continue to give us updates. Good Luck with everything and you have any questions about the surgery or anything, just let us know.
Sincerely...Norcal

Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
Well, I had gone to my appointment with the first surgeon last week. After filling out all their paper work and letting them copy my insurance card, I notice a sign on the receptionist window. It had a list of health insurance's that they were no longer accepting, and mine was one of them. I asked the receptionist about this and she had me sit down while she called someone. Needless to say they had made a mistake when they gave me an appointment as they did not accept my insurance. I was so angry over this, as now I had to find another surgeon.

I did see another surgeon yesterday and his next available date for surgery is December 6th. So It looks as if I have to suffer another month like this. He did tell me that I have many gallstones, and not to eat anything with fat, and how important it was that I stayed true to this diet. Needless to say, my daughter is pregnant with my first grandchild and her due date is Dec. 6th. But most of us never deliver on our due date, so hopefully she will have her baby before then. If not, I am sure going to have a lot of my mind during this surgery as I am planning on being in the delivery room with her.

My surgeon also told me that I will have to stay over night in the hospital and should be able to come home the next day. I really wanted to come home the same day. I didn't ask him why, but I think it may because I have diabetes as another surgeon made me stay in the hospital and extra day too.

I am upset that I have to wait this long and because this month is Thanksgiving. My surgeon told me to forget about thanksgiving dinner, but that really doesn't make to much sense to me. I thought turkey is fat free and the same with vegetables. So I will just make some side dishes for me without the cream sauce and cheese in them. I don't know if I will be able to keep myself from eating sweet potatoes as they are my favorite. But I sure don't want to suffer with another attack as each one seems to get worse. I will keep you all updated and I thank you all for your help.
Jeanne

Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
Well, I had my gallbladder removed yesterday morning. I have five small incisions, and still a lot of pain. I had asked my surgeon if I could have the stones as I was very curios as to what they looked like, but he said No, as he had to send them out to pathology. He also talked to my hubby while I was in recovery, and said that he had a difficult time as I had a lot of scar tissue. I am not sure as to why I would have scar tissue in that area.

I was brought into my room a couple of hours later, and had to share a room with a slob. I went to use the bathroom and had to clean the toilet before using it. I was so upset and in much pain. My surgeon did say that he might let me go home after dinner as I really have a problem with anxiety in the hospital. But I didn't feel up to eating dinner and signed out against medical advice. I do know that wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I saw no reason to stay there.

I was awake most of the night as I could not find a comfortable position to sleep in. I finally fell asleep in my recliner sitting up for about an hour or so. Today I am still very sore and I hurt most in the belly button incision. I am dreading trying to lie down again as it does increase my pain. Did everyone else also have this problem when it comes to lying down?
Jeanne

Old 12-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had the worse pain and for the longest time in the belly-button incision. I had a BIG bruise around it about the 2nd or 3rd week. I'm not sure if it was because I already had a previous incision there. I also had a heck of a time trying to stay asleep the first couple of nights. I would start falling asleep and then "jump" myself awake--like the feeling that I was falling or something. Must have been the good drugs they gave me

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Take it easy!

Donna

Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #15
(male)

scottv HB User

I had mine removed on the 5th and I have no problem laying down, at least once I relax. I have 4 incisions and the only 1 of mine that gives me any pain is the one under my breast bone.

My surgeon also said mine had a lot of scarring on it too. I didn't bother to ask what that meant, maybe I will when I go in for my checkup.

Hope things look up for you soon.

Closed Thread