It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

histrblmkr HB User
Question bile gastritis and jumbled intestines/colon

Hi all
I am new to the group and have been searching for some answers. I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy due to really low iron levels. They wanted to rule out internal bleeding. Well luckily there is no bleeding but they did find that I have bile gastritis........"what the heck is that" and that my intestines/colon is longer than normal and all jumbled up. The doc said this test usually takes a half hour to complete....well mine took over an hour cuz he had a heck of a time getting the scope around all the bends and curves. They tell me that is why I have problems with constipation. One because I have a lazy colon and 2 because it gets lodged in the bends and curves
The doc asked me if I had stomach pain from the bile gastritis and I told him not really other than this knot I always seem to feel right under my ribcage. Not real pain just annoying.
I have been trying to find info regarding intestine/colon issues pertaining to what he told me about mine. He has also put me on zelnorm and glycolax to help with the constipation, which by the way doesn't help when you are taking mega does of iron for the anemia......which by the way they don't know why this just started. The gastronologist told me it's from years of having periods.........."PLEASE"..... does that mean every woman who menustrates will have iron anemia? Not to mention my period has been crazy over the last couple of years with being pre-menopausal. I almost went a whole year without it and then had it for a couple of months then went another 4 months without it. And the iron issues just came up in the last 6 months. I went from a 6.0 level to a 3.0 level in just 6 weeks. I was just at the docs yesterday and he is sending me to have my blood checked to see where it is at since I've been taking chromagen.
So anyone ever heard of any of this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks much
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: bile gastritis and jumbled intestines/colon

I was diagnosed with bile gastritis, too. You seem to be asking what that is, so let me try to explain...

You've heard of acid reflux, where the stomach acid backs up into the esophagus. This happens because the muscular sphicter that is supposed to keep that opening closed isn't doing its job very well.

There's another sphincter at the other end of the stomach, where it hooks up with the intestines, which is supposed to keep things from backing up from the small intestine into the stomach.

Bile is a substance that is made in the liver, gets stored in the gallbladder, and eventually ends up in the small intestine (it helps digest fats).

When the sphincter at the lower end of the stomach doesn't work, bile can back up into the stomach and irritate the stomach lining. And a fancy name for irritation of the stomach lining is gastritis.

I had horrible nausea, so my doctor prescribed a med called cytotec which does something or other and ends up protecting the stomach lining and helping it heal.

Closed Thread