It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
(male)

shokatsu HB User
Question Newbie - Getting an Upper Gi w/KUB (Air Contrast)

Hi - I am new to this particular board. I am sceduled to get the UPPER GI done in 2 days and wanted to know more about it. Reason I was told to get it is I had Back surgery 4 weeks ago and was on 800 MG of Motrin for a long time and suddenly out of no where i got horrible stomache cramps. Like flu, but with out nausia. I stopped the motrin and called Dr. He tested stool for blood and it was a negative. he thinks I have agrevated the Stomache from all the motrin. Since I stopped stomace feels better, but I am also getting sharp pain one in a while in upper right chest. Hurts so bad, but if I jump up and down ( in know that sounds weird) I burp and I feel better for a few minutes, then the pain builds and I jump and bupr again. Lasts from an hour to 5 hours. Only has happened a couple times but wasnt pleasant.

Will the Upper Gi figure out if Motrin messed up my stomache and why I get those chest pains?

on a side note i do think I have acid reflux, but I never have done anything about it other then changing my diet. that worked until this stupid surgery and all the meds they had me on.

Brian

Old 11-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Newbie - Getting an Upper Gi w/KUB (Air Contrast)

The upper GI can show ulcers, gastritis (irritation of the stomach lining), and other abnormalities of the stomach wall. It will also show if you have any reflux of stomach contents into your esophagus.

The test is not particularly pleasant, but it gives them good information. At the start, they give you this little cup of powder that you have to throw down and swallow with like a thimble full of water, and it makes all this gas that you aren't supposed to burp up. Then immediately you have to chug the barium. But after that part, I felt better in a few minutes and I even got to see the monitor at some points, which was really neat. I felt fine once the first part was over, and didn't have any other problems, so I guess 5 minutes of discomfort isn't too bad.

They need the air in your stomach so that the walls of the stomach aren't all laying right next to each other so they can actually see the features of the walls. Then the barium is really thick and coats the walls of the esophagus and stomach. It shows up on the x-rays, so it isn't actually the wall of the stomach that they are looking at, but the barium on the wall of the stomach. Oh, so the first part they do with you standing up so they can watch you swallow, then they have you lay down and roll over a lot. Somewhere in the middle of all that rolling, they give you more barium to drink, but it's a lot thinner. So then while you are laying down they watch this thinner fluid to see if it refluxes into the esophagus.

So hopefully the test goes well and you will get some insight into your problems! My test was performed by a radiologist, so he was able to tell me his initial impressions at the time of the test, but that might depend on the policies of the testing center.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
lcolombo (04-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
(male)

shokatsu HB User

Wow - that does not sound like fun, but like you said 5 minutes is worth finding out. I think I will take some anxiety meds before I go.

Does the thick stuff feel like you have something stuck in throat, or is it no biggy? also - you said after 5 minutes you felt better. Did you burp? or does it just settle down after you drink the thick stuff?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I've had three of them and a small bowel follow through. The upper gi with small bowel takes twice as long up to 6 hours I'm told. I went through in 1 so I must have fast transit. It's cake. The barium doesn't taste too bad. You can get them to use a less thick one if the original barium is too much. You are not allowed to burp during this but you will feel the need to after you drink the crystals. They basically lay you and move you all around a table and use a fluoroscope to take pictures. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

No, it didn't feel like it was stuck in my throat. It was like milkshake consistency. Just kind of gross.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

shokatsu HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit I am a little freaked as that sensation ( fealing Bloated with the need to burp) is one of my biggest anxiety triggers. But if I go in knowing its only for a few munutes I think I should be ok. Either way, freak out or not, I am doing it as I think the knowledge gained is far greater then the phobia of the procedure.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
(male)

shokatsu HB User

Well I had it done - Almost chickened out! the fizzy stuff was like drinkink alka sletzer - IT WAS SO HARD NOT TO BURP! anyway. I guess I drank to much water with it so I had to drink almost 2 things of barium - not to bad, but now I do have a stomache ache. Good news - no ulcer or anything wrong. he said he did not see acid reflux, but just because it didnt show does not mean its not there. The rolling over was hard do to my back surgery. It was way cool seeing everything on the monitor.

Thanks so much for the advise and I hope this will help anyone who also suffer anxiety who is afraid to get this done. Its no biggy. Not worth the worry.

Brian

Old 12-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear that you made it through the test okay and that they didn't find anything bad! Hopefully that means that any damage caused by the pain pills is healing up on its own and you'll feel better soon. Good luck.

Closed Thread