It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
had ESOPHAGUS STRETCHED-still difficulty swallowing/reflux

Hi guys I had a question, I had an endoscopy done almost a month ago because I had trouble swallowing and now i have worst issues I havent been able to eat normal for 2 months, lost 15 pds so far.

anyway anytime I eat i have to constantly drink water after every small bite of food, I also have acid reflux which i am taking nexium and doesnt do much for me at all, my reflux is so bad that today i bent over to pick up something and the acid came up in my mouth, its horrible.

i am supposed to see a new gastroenterologist tomorrow, I am not sure if my throat closed up again since I had my esophagus stretched not to long ago and it didnt help, this has been a nightmare I have been so hungry and just have been eating soft foods, and am frustrated with all this, and my old doc didnt help much, he wants to do a colonoscopy which i dont want to get done since I have no bloody stools, or anything wrong with that part of my body, but I have a feeling he only wants the $$ form the insurance company since he got upet at the fact that i dont want a colonoscopy done,

all i want is for him to help me with the swallowing issue, so i can at least be able to eat again, what kind of tests/surgeries have you guys had done and what has worked?

by the way i have tried zelnorm,priloec.prevacid,protonix,and another one called Regulim I think i may have misspelled it, anyway and none have helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
(female)

saltire HB User
Smile Re: had ESOPHAGUS STRETCHED-still difficulty swallowing/reflux

Hi I had all the same symptoms a few years ago. i had a motility study done ( to see how well the esophagus works) and it showed that there was 4 defects, one was the bottom valve into stomach , the middle valve, needed dialated and the ability to move food down my esophagus doesn't work properly. It basically moves as it pleases. The valve problem caused everything to comeback up, undigested food, even water never stayed down. I had surgery ( Nissan Fundoplication) done and it is the best thing i have EVER done. Nopt one day of reflux since. I do have to go every couple of years to get dialated tho. Good luck on finding out whats wrong. If no luck ask for a motility study, If not for that i would have never known exactly what was going on.
Saltire

Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
(female)

EosLady HB User
Re: had ESOPHAGUS STRETCHED-still difficulty swallowing/reflux

I have a question? Did either one of you have Biopsies taken of your Esophagus? Many times swallowing problems and needing to be dialated are caused by an allergic condition called Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Biopsies can detect this, and it can be treated. If you have EE and are being dialated it can be dangerous..

Good luck

Eos Lady

Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

saltire HB User

Hi
Yes i have had biospies taken a few times, twice already i have been treated for H-Pylori bacteria, that can cause ulcers. I was just back at my doc for wheezing, and i am getting another scope done next week, i may need dialated again. When my motility study was done the doc then said i may need dialated every couple of years or so, and it's been nearly 3 since the last one. It seems like it never ends. I get very sore chest pains sometimes during the night, i know it is related to my digestive tract as when i eat something i feel much better, just wonder if it's some type of spasms. Horrible feeling at the time tho.I have actually never heard of EE, what is it?
Saltire

Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
(female)

EosLady HB User

EE is Eosinophilic Esophagitis. It is an allergic disorder of the Esophagus that can cause pain, and inflammation...
You can go to APFED.org for more info... APFED stands for American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders...

When biopsies are done, they need to be stained with a special stain to look for the eosinophil cells... Eosinophils are a normal part of the white blood, and in normal amounts are helpful for fighting parasites.. But when they overgrow and attack us then they can be a problem.... It is an uncommon condition that is becoming more prevalent.... Many doctors have never heard of it.... It is frustrating when you know you have it having to explain to every doctor you see just what it is...

It is being found more in the pediatric population because Adult GI's either don't know about it, or discount it. It can be treated with steroids, or with food elimination to find the foods that cause the problem...

It is only a thought, but every time I read about someone having dilations it scares me b ecause an esophagus with eos (eos are not normally found in the esophagus) is more prone to tears so can be dangerous....

I hope you find the answer so you will be able to heal and not have to have continual dilations...

Eos lady

Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi guys and yes i have had biopsies done everytime I have had my esophagus stretched but the doc never diagnosed me with EOS

but I am still having difficuly swalowing, it terrible I get so desperate at times, i feels as if i have mucous in my throat but there is none, the esophagus is just s inflamed and i also have LPR-esophagitis-gastritis any advice, this LPR has hurt my throat really bad and i get so desperate at times since I still havent ate for 2 1/2 months, been on meds for 2 weeks now and tried eating but its stilhard i take 2 nexium a day any advice guys

Last edited by jennyVee; 01-05-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Have you tried taking a magnesium supplement to help the muscles of your esophagus work better. Every cell in the body contains magnesium and muscle spasms and cramping are frequently caused by a lack of magnesium in the muscle cells--- including the heart.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi harry thanks so much that is great idea, I will buy a mag supp today but would it affect me if i am not taking in as many calories in i am on an all liquid diet?

Last edited by jennyVee; 01-06-2006 at 05:12 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jenny,
I think it would be OK if you take it in divided doses. 3 or 4 times daily --- the Recommended Daily Allowance is 400 mg.
If you take too much it will cause a loose stool-- As you may know magnesium is used as a laxative-- such as Milk of Magnesia, Epson salts & Citrate of Magnesia but in alot bigger doses.

The best absorbed magnesium is the chelated type --glycinate but other work fine--i.e. --citrates or asparates.

Last edited by Harry; 01-06-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Closed Thread