It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User
Question What is Probiotics? Do I need them?

I hear so much about this Probiotics all the time in the posts, but I am clueless!!!! I am not sure what MY deal is or if this would even help me, but I have like a gassy feeling that just rolls around a lot. I get gas pains so bad some times that it can take my breath away. I get nausus at times with it and a full feeling even if I haven't eaten. My stools are NOT normal, they can be real loose and yellowy looking or I am sometimes constipated and it will hurt to go. Starting yesterday, I had a bowel movement that was really weird (it was green)
I went this morning and it was still loose, but more on the normal color.... then again this afternoon, and it was that green color again. It's really weird, I mean for the most part I don't feel sick or anything, I think I am making myself worse by worrying about it..... But can anyone help me out here? I should also mention that I do have IBS, but never GREEN stool....
Thanks in advance for your help....

Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: What is Probiotics? Do I need them?

Hi Want2,

Probiotics are good for your body/stomach. If they are what I think - like yogurt, buttermilk, probiotic pills, and Dan Active (10 x stronger than yogurts live cultures).

I have IBS and my stools are never green. Maybe yellow and various colors of brown. And often loose and frequent. But, green sounds not too good, unless you are eating lots of green vegetables. Are you sure that you have not been eating a bunch of green veges or grass?! :> I think you need to go to a gastroenterologist and have an upper endoscopy and a lower colonoscopy. These 2 tests may help determine if you have any other illnesses.

Take care.

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Want2feelgood HB User

Thanks for the reply,
I guess I will give it a shot.....BTW, the (Green stool thing) Was not there this morning, back to the "normal" abnormal yellowy IBS stuff.... Hmmm who knows...
Thanks again

Old 01-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Arrow Re: What is Probiotics? Do I need them?

I wouldn't worry too much about a day or two of green stools. If you see a pattern of more than a week or two, then you may want to consider seeing a GI doctor.
Probiotics are good/friendly bacteria that helps your body. One of the best sources of probiotics is kefir. Yogurt is also very good.
Here's info re: ibs and probiotics:

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional bowel disorder that can be characterized by symptoms of abdominal pain, cramps, gas, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. Surveys estimate the prevalence rate ranging from 10-20% of the adult population and the condition is diagnosed 3 times more often in women than men (FDA Consumer Magazine, July-Aug, 2001). Only a few controlled studies have been conducted evaluating probiotics and IBS. Some symptom relief (primarily from diarrhea or abdominal pain or bloating) has been reported in studies published to date.

**I attribute probiotics to getting rid of my toenail fungus. Check out some of my other posts regarding the matter**

Last edited by thebluedog; 01-08-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

My GI doctor has me taking Probiotics for my IBS and I also just had a bout of Clostridium difficile (C-diff) that was extremely hard to get rid of. I take Florastor (Probiotic), 500 mg a day, plus I have a yogurt each day. The Florastor is not cheap however, it runs about $34 for a bottle of 50 caps.

I've had the IBS for years, but when I contracted the C. diff (40% of cases are contracted in the hospital), I really had problems far worse than just having IBS. Uncontrolled bowel movements, which could occur during the day or at night while sleeping. Needless to say I'm on disability and don't work. Usually, the condition is cleared up by a two week course of vancomycin. I did three courses of it without clearing it up, so the doctor did a fecal transfer on me, where they take donor feces and insert it in your bowels during a colonoscopy. My wife was the donor. They take the sample and run plain saline solution over it and through a filter. The liquid that is filtered out is the good bacteria, and that is inserted in the patient. Although it is still experimental in the US, it is done quite often in Euopean countries and also in Asia, I think. Best of all, it works, but I still take the Probiotics to keep up the good bacteria in my bowels.

BTW, C. diff is usually contracted by taking large amounts of antibiotics, usually in the "myicin" family.

Closed Thread