It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
(male)

Lycopene HB User
Question Bloating after colon surgery

1. How long is bloating in the abdominal area (irritating but not painful) last after surgery? My wife's bloating makes her need to urinate frequently and wakes up several times in the evening. A member stated it lasts about 2 weeks but depends on the person. A friend of mine had similar surgery and she said several months.

2. I am assuming that the bloating is from gas trapped in her internal cavity. I heard it is from bacteria releasing gas. Is this correct?

3. Someone stated that a "good surgeon" removes most of the gas during surgery. Is this true?

4. Is there a way to remove the gas other than time?

The details.....

My wife had a abscess removed on 12/13/05. The abscess was in the area around the appendix and part of the ascending colon was removed. After surgery she had bloating and pain which I was told was normal. She seemed to recover very well. She was able to walk and had good bowel movement. She was released from the hospital after 5 days.

She was given antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin 500 mg) and had a bad reaction causing nausia and discomfort. The doctor discontinued the medication after 6 days. No alternate antibiotics/medication were given.

Several days later on a follow-up check, my wife told the doctor of her problems with bloating and frequent urination due to the pressure. He thought her bloating should have lessened by that time. He stated it maybe from an infection and had tests done. He prescribed Cephalexin and Metronidazole to take while the results come back. The results were negative.

She is in good health now except for the bloating and frequent trips to the bathroom. Please advise...Thank you

Last edited by Lycopene; 01-09-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Mistake on type of medication

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
(male)

Lycopene HB User
Re: Bloating after colon surgery

Update....My wife continues to have bloating problem. Went to get CAT scan today and the result was excess urine in bladder. They drained about 1 liter. My wife does not speak Engish well and did not get the reason why this was occuring. I will request for a report. If anyone can advise...please reply.
Thanks, and good health to you all!

Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
(male)

Lycopene HB User
Re: Bloating after colon surgery

Update...My wife is recovering well and has returned to work. She still occasionally has pain but seems minor. I was hoping someone to reply and provide info for me here but oh well...

I hope this helps someone that may have the same problem...Good health all!

Closed Thread