It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
(male)

Asanto HB User
Excessive belching...not sure what caused it.

During the last few months, I seem to be burping excessively. Air seems to escape me quite forcefully, making some belches extremely loud. Some days, I can go for hours without burping and other times I can go as much as 20 burps in a row without a pause.

There seems to be very little to no acid accompanying the burps. However, a SMALL amount of food rarely makes its way up to my mouth. 99% of the time, it's simply air with no odor. Sometimes, the odor of the burp is quite strong after a meal. I seem to have no problems with bowels, in fact, I have become more regular than I was before.

I recently lost about 40 pounds and started jogging about 30 minutes 4 days per week. I am currently at 190 pounds. The burping started at about the same time I started my routine exercising. I will be honest and say that I started using marijuana about one year ago, sometimes heavily (4 to 6 joints per day). Rest assured I no longer use it. I also had a bad habit of gorging down food. I would eat very little to NOTHING throughout the day and have one giant meal in the evening.

I know that almost all of the things I have done in the passed year cause belching but I appreciate any answers given to my questions.

Any chance of permanent damage to the esophagus?
Any chance that this may be cancer related?
Could the Marijuana have caused this on its own?
What would be the proper way of correcting this?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
(male)

nicknamefij HB User
Re: Excessive belching...not sure what caused it.

thats odd, i am having the same problem. see the topic "what is wrong with me" that i just posted. let me know if your symptoms are close to that?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

yawningdog HB User

this sound just like me. I have the particles in my mouth and no acid with it.

I, too, have been belching a lot and have been googling belching to find help.

Yesterday I looked up something diferent and found Hypochlorhydria or Low Stomach Acid. This is often treated as reflux and you are given anti acid meds that only make it worse or lead to a yeast overgrowth.

The main symptom is refered to as 'burping' and not belching and that is why I didn't find it 9 months ago when my problem started.

main symptoms
belching, burping
big belly
huge appetite
feeling full after eating like you stomach isn't emptying
thin or weak hair and nails
dry skin
overall weakness due to a lack of absorbing nurtients

Look it up there is even a questionaire on one the sites.
Edit/Delete Message

Old 05-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Several years ago, out of the blue I started belching frequently. It got worse every time I bent over. My doctor put me on acid reflux medications even though the belching was my only symptom at the time. I have never been able to fully get under control. Recently, I went to the GI Dr. and had an endoscopy done. There were no signs of the acid or damage. I then had a manometry and 24 hr. PH. The manometry showed that my esophogeal sphincter was not closing properly and the 24 hr. PH showed that I had acid frequently coming up. In my case, except for the belching and a sporatic chronic cough those are my primary symptoms. After my last testing the doctor had me increase my Prevacid to twice a day. I also had to modify my diet (which I have done for a while) and prop up the head of my bed at least 4 inches.

Closed Thread