It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
(male)

joelchicago HB User
what do I eat to prevent Pancreatitis attacks?

Hi folks,

Well, after 1.5 years of odd suffering, complaints to doctors, and many many tests, I've come to the realization that Pancreatitis is what's affecting me. It started with a sharp pain on the left side under the bottom rib. The remaining dull left-sided pain comes and goes over time. I believe this is my Pancreas, when inflamed, causing the pressure/light pain in that area. I get dizzy, blood sugar seems to be something to watch now, yet every blood test shows glucose levels are fine. I've finally tied it to the Pancreas. I can tell because I can base the pain on how I eat, and I can pinpoint the changes in my digestive system when this particular pain arrives.

But, I've read various things about Acute Pancreatitis what I can and can't eat. I've read high protein and low fat, but I read for Chronic Pancreatitis you eat more carbs?? This doesn't seem to work for me so I'm going to stick with protein I think, unless someone here can tell me why to try something else. I know I might need to try some digestive enzymes to see if that helps my general health (I always feel fatigued it seems, and I easily get sick now).

I'm just wondering if anyone has this and how they avoid attacks. I had an attack Monday, nearly blacked out too, and have been in pain ever since. In fact, I'm still dizzy today, 3 days later - seems that I've been dizzy most of the time since that attack, and the dizziness gets worse after I eat. I've lost mental focus this week and I'm certainly not myself again. I've had TONS of tests done, and nothing shows up. This one, I think, makes sense finally.

I was a perfectly healthy 30 year old guy 2 years ago. Since then, I've become sick frequently and had these crazy symptoms that come and go. Doctors as yet have been unable to identify this as Pancreatitis, but they are becoming suspicious of it, as I am, because the symptoms changed and finally it makes sense. Exercise, fiber, eating and lifestyle changes have not affected me enough to make it work. I haven't eaten as good lately, and I think I'm paying for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: what do I eat to prevent Pancreatitis attacks?

Actually when you have a severe pancreatic attack, you are to eat no solid foods, just liquids, for several days to rest the pancrease. I really don't think it's your pancreas because when I got an attack the pain was so awful, I needed to go to the ER. They did blood work there to see how high your enzyemes are. If the pain is that bad, you need to go to the ER for antibotics or you can go septic from this. It is a very serious illness. Also your white blood cells are extremely high. Your pain and discomfort sounds more like a gall bladder attack. Go see an internist and get dianogsed.
Take care, Linda

Closed Thread