It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

shortysmom HB User
clearing throat/congestion after eating

Sometimes after I eat, it's like there is congestion in my throat and I have to keep clearing my throat and cough for about 20-30 minutes. What causes this? It just started probably a couple of months ago.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: clearing throat/congestion after eating

What do you drink with your meal? Is it any drink with ice in it? That will cause it. Also MSG will cause it, and dairy products... if you ALWAYS drank cold drinks and it didn't happen, perhaps there's a little dairy allergy there now. That happens to me if I eat in a restaurant because I only drink water with meals, and at home I take it out of the tap, but in restaurants they put ice in it. It also happens after I have coffee because I use LOTS of cream. So it could be something like that. When I used to sing when there'd be a recital we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to eat dairy products because that will cause mucus in the throat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

shortysmom HB User
Re: clearing throat/congestion after eating

I usually drink iced tea with my meals, sometimes Diet Coke. Last night it happened and I ate fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy. Maybe it is a dairy allergy. I'll keep track of what I eat from now on and see. I do know that ice cream has always made my throat itch, but not feel congested. Thanks!

Closed Thread