It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
H Pylori & Anxiety

I was treated 14 months ago for H. Pylori. During the treatment, I began experiencing heart palpitations, shortness of breath and generalized anxiety.
I thought these were all side effects that would eventually disappear. Unfortunately they didn't disappear, they only worsened. I saw a cardiologist for a stress test and he said although I had PAC's, my heart was in very good condition for my age (54). My gynecologist prescribed a very low dose of birth control pill in case the anxiety was a symptom of perimenopause. They only made the anxiety worse. I saw a psychiatrist, (just in case it was all in my head) and he prescribed a low dose of Xanax. Sometimes this helps and sometimes it doesn't. My regular doctor ordered a CT scan on my pancreas, but this too came out okay. The other symptoms besides anxiety is weight loss, nearly 45 pounds in the past year and my usually very low blood pressure is elevated. I am at my wits end. My primary care doctor says I need to go back to the gastroenterologist who was treating me when all the symptoms began, and the psychiatrist said he has treated other patients that developed anxiety after h pylori. I'm wondering if any others who were diagnosed with h pylori have been through the same experience. So little is known regarding long term effects, I'm not finding much help on the internet. Please let me know if you have any info regarding h pylori and anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
(female)

seattlekat HB User
Re: H Pylori & Anxiety

Hmmm, i am being tested for H Pylori right now so i dont know the after effects, but this would be my sugestion even if you think i am nutz...have you ever done a candida cleanse? It is very helpful to your body after taking any antibiotic and i know it is several to cure H Pylori. Even if you are not experiencing symptoms of yeast, you probably still have an overgrowth from the antibiotics. I would try this, you will be amazed with the outcome. Go to a health food store and buy raw organic honey and raw organic apple cyder vinegar. (the honey will be in a jar and it will be white and almost solid with none of that additive crap in their) warm a half of a glass of water to luke warm and melt a couple of tsp of the honey in their. When it is melted add a couple tsp of the apple cyder vinegar. then add some more water to make 8 ounces or so. it tastes kinda like grape juice. do this in the morning and at night. also take a candida cleanse and kidney suppliment. i know by now you do think that i am nutz , just try it and you should be better in very little time. If this doesn't take all your symptoms away, try reading Kevin Trudeau's book on natural cures.

let me know how it goes.

kat

Old 02-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

debbie2862 HB User

I was treated for h pylori back in 1999. With me, I was having a lot of anxiety before and after treatment.
The doctor who told you that there was a link, is it only AFTER treatment for it or is it before as well?
I was on all kinds of antibiotics, including CIPRO before diagnosis of h pylori (they thought I had an intestinal bacteria) and I really remember the symptoms starting after I took the CIPRO. Maybe our bodies are reacting to the medication?
I'd be interested in whatever other information you have about any link between the two because I thought it was "all in my head". Had the xanax too.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I had some anxiety before the h pylori, but nothing compared to the anxiety that came with the antibiotics and still continues over a year later. The antibiotics were Amoxicillin and Biaxin, and the PPI was Protonix. Due to an insurance foul up, Ranitadine was substituted for the Protonix, then the anxiety really began. I got off the Ranitadine immediately, but that didn't help either. Between the pylori and the anxiety I've lost over 40 pounds. I had a cat scan in December to check for Pancreatitis, (it's also known to cause anxiety and weight loss) but everything was fine. I tried a low dose of hormone, in case the anxiety was due to perimenopause and hormone imbalance, but that made it worse. I check the H Pylori website occasionally to see if anxiety has been mentioned as an after effect, but so far, there's nothing posted. I wish they knew more about the after effects, but since they know so little about the disease I guess it will take time and studies. I've taken amoxicillin for sinus infections, tonsilitis, skin conditions and never had a problem with it, so I don't think that could be the cause.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I'm still on the waiting list to have a gastroscopy. I wish to check out the H Pylori because I have an Atrial Fibrillation. If related, I just need to treat the H pylori so I don't have to take the A-Fib medicine for the rest of my life. Now, after I have read these posts, I'm consider again the "gastroscopy". Anyway, I have stopped the medicine for A-Fib. I wish the waiting list for my gastroscopy has lost on the track someway!

Pika.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
(female)

GILLY1 HB User
Thumbs down Re: H Pylori & Anxiety

Hi
I was told 18 months ago I had Hy pylori. I has anxiety before and am still having it now. I took the antibiotics for a week but didn't feel any different. I have had the ecg, chest xray and I go for a echocardiogram next week. All other heart tests have been ok so I am hoping this last one will be to. I have been seeing the gastro-oligist for the last 18 months and I suggested that maybe the anti biotics had not worked as I only had one weeks supply and most people I have read about had two weeks. Last week I had to have the urea breath test to see if the hy pylori had gone and I am awaiting the results. I am at the age of the menopause so not too sure if this is what the anxiety would relate to or not.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi I have been feeling Nausea for 2 weeks now had right side rib pain for 8 weeks had a scan to see if I had gall stones that come back fine, since I have been feeling Nausea I have a pain in the middle of my belly did any of you get this I am so worried I am having the blood test to see if I have Hy Pylori ....Mandy

Old 02-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

georgie430 HB User

I also have the anxiety, short of breath, and belly pain. Funny I had my pancreas checked, haD ALL kinds of breathing test, heart test, ercp, I dont have my GB anymore taken out 3 yrs ago. I'am going to request Hplori test although I have absolutely no idea what it is and how they test??? Please GINGER TEA lets keep each other posted, ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE SHORT NESS OF BREATH. THANX..GEORGIE

Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Georgie,

The digestive doctor took a biopsy of my stomach during an endoscopy. They found the h pylori in my stomach and in my esophagus from the reflux.
Sounds like we are going through the same tests. I was sent to the cardiologist and passed the stress test with no problem. I have an extra heartbeat, but that's not the problem. I had an ultrasound of my stomach, a set of barium x-rays and the cat scan for my pancreas....all clear. Since I am still having stomach problems, my regular doctor wants me to go back to the digestive doctor. She says it's possible the h pylori is back. I am due for a follow-up endoscopy in a few months, so I think I will wait it out until then. The endoscopy was easy. I don't remember anything.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I have my lower abdomen pain as well. I can't sleep the whole night. Look like my pelvic bone sore as well. GP said if they can't find anything in my stomach then will do a colonscopy. I think I have to keep my mouth shut and learn not to complain. I'm really scare of the test. Keep us posting and take care.

Pika.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

gingertea,

I'm not sure if anyone sugested this yet, but have you ever had your thyroid checked? Hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety and weight loss.

I also wanted to add that I don't do really well on PPI medicines. In fact I think the combination of a PPI medicine and an SSRI medicine put me in the hospital two years ago. I couldn't eat or keep anything down. I was nauseated all the time and it seemed like all my senses were heightenend. I could smell things really good and it would get me so sick. I was taken off all medications and in a few days I was back to normal. I'm not sure which medication did it though.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-01-2006 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Repeating Quote is not needed

Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
(female)

electrafiing HB User

I do not know if i will be of any help to anyone on here. However last year
in April, I was also diagnosed with H Pylori. However this was not knowen
to me until i was rushed to the Hospital. Where they found that i had
2 bleeding Ulcers in the bottom portion of my stomache, i under went surgery/
exsploratory surgery. I was touch and go several year's. As i questioned
weather or not i had ulcers. I tried many diffrent antacids and none worked.
I also went to the Emergency on several occasions,where they told me i had
nothing wrong,to go home and take antacids. I had many diffrent symptoms
over a 5 year period of time. Some of the problems i encountered:
1.gagging and stomache acid coming up.
2.stomache acid with blood
3. Pain under my breastbone and just above my navel
4. Pain in between my shoulderblades
5.Water made it worse
6.Shortness of breath
7.urge to vomit and or dizzy

The day when the ulcers burst, i passed out,came to and had exstreme
pain that mimiced a heartattack. Chest pain,pain running up and down
my arms into my neck. And Pain/Preassure all over.

I was told to take,Prilosec for Life. If any of you are exsperiancing these
type of things dont risk it. Go to a doctor and have them check it out.
As it can be more serious than one might think. Or something totally diffrent
entirely. Im not trying to scare anyone,just would hate to see anyone
go through what i did.

As for the Anxiety, i have had that prior to surgery and after(Panic type
of attacks) Does anyone know why i would be having this problem. Thanks
Electraffing

Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

10D HB User

One has to wonder about h.pylori, and the medical experts as a whole. im sure there are bacteria associated with most conditions. Twenty years ago people with ulcers were told that it was a result of stress and acid, and of course diet, drinking, smoking etc. There was no h.pylori plague causing the death of thousands, and one would have to assume that many healed, pylori or no pylori. But now those old notions are considered ridiculous, it all comes from h.pylori. The treatment with so many antibiotics to me seems absurd. Any antibiotic has side effects, some very serious. Now how do they know what combining all these agents will do? Certainly it will overwhelm the body. Ive seen many posts on h.pylori, and nightmares after the treatments, and i can believe it. And yet alternative views of diet, stress reduction,
candida are considered oddball. I guess more and more im siding with the oddballs.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I would prefer the few doses of anti biotic to cure the H. Pylori. I don't want my A-Fib stayed and taking the beta-blocker for the rest of my life. I'm still very confuse. I was on the waiting list for endoscopy...

If there is a H. Pylori, after taking all those doses of antibiotic.... A-Fib remain there and side effect occur.... Isn't it "this part not fixed and tears the other part"?

Pika.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #15
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

I had triple therapy but had not checked for its successful eradication yet ! My concern is ... somehow with the eradication of H. Pylori , respiratory problems had become more common . I wonder if anyone in here had the same observations / conditions

Closed Thread