It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 129
debbie2862 HB User
Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

I just started taking Aciphex 20mg two days ago. I took them in the morning before eating. I felt fine until last night (day 2) when I started having an achy feeling in my upper chest and the feeling like my heart was racing. It continues this morning and I'm not sure if my reflux was just really bad last night or what. Now I'm afraid to take another one in case I'm having some kind of reaction to them.

Has anyone had a reaction like this with Aciphex? I asked my doctor before I started taking them and he said that it was very well tolerated, blah, blah, blah. I will call him if this continues today but I wanted to get the lay person's opinion because sometimes I feel like these docs won't own up to reactions being caused by meds.

 
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,550
Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

I took it for a month and it didn't have any reaction good or bad!!!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 129
debbie2862 HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

I guess you mean it didn't help your symptoms? That stinks. I was told it can take 4-6 weeks to work which I think is ridiculous.

I still have the feeling in my chest but now I think I might actually have a cold or something because I've been coughing, although that could also be reflux. Aaaarrrghh. This is very frustrating.

Last edited by moderator4; 02-25-2006 at 09:33 PM.

 
Old 02-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mass
Posts: 197
ebrbetty HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

I took it too, it actually made me feel worse
__________________
Betty

 
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 129
debbie2862 HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Betty,
How long were you on it before you realized that it wasn't working? And, how did it make you feel worse?

Did you switch to something else that worked better?

Last edited by moderator4; 02-25-2006 at 09:34 PM.

 
Old 02-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mass
Posts: 197
ebrbetty HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Hi Debbie, for me it acually made the heartburn worse..thats the problem I had with all heartburn/ gerd meds I took.
I only took it for about a week or so, because as I said it seemed to cause more problems.
are you having heartburn?
__________________
Betty

 
Old 02-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 129
debbie2862 HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrbetty
Hi Debbie, for me it acually made the heartburn worse..thats the problem I had with all heartburn/ gerd meds I took.
I only took it for about a week or so, because as I said it seemed to cause more problems.
are you having heartburn?
ebrbetty,
Yes, I am having heartburn and it does seem like its gotten worse in the past few days since I've started with the Aciphex. If I'm still feeling worse after being on this for a week, I'm going to call my doctor. He wanted me to see him in 2 weeks but I don't want to wait that long. As it is, I'm taking more Mylanta now than I was BEFORE I started this stupid Aciphex.
Did you try taking prescription strength Zantac or any of that class of drug? Did that also make your symptoms worse and did your doctor know why it happened? Are you on anything at all now?
Thanks for your help. I'm so confused right now.

 
Old 02-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mass
Posts: 197
ebrbetty HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2862
ebrbetty,
Yes, I am having heartburn and it does seem like its gotten worse in the past few days since I've started with the Aciphex. If I'm still feeling worse after being on this for a week, I'm going to call my doctor. He wanted me to see him in 2 weeks but I don't want to wait that long. As it is, I'm taking more Mylanta now than I was BEFORE I started this stupid Aciphex.
Did you try taking prescription strength Zantac or any of that class of drug? Did that also make your symptoms worse and did your doctor know why it happened? Are you on anything at all now?
Thanks for your help. I'm so confused right now.
I tried every presciption drug my drs could think of for acid, they all made me worse. the only thing that has helped me was switching to a coffee for ppl with acid/ gerd etc. not eating butter, mayo, sause, chocolate, spicy foods and when its bad I mix up baking soda with water.
I had and still do stomach pain
are you just having heartburn or both?
oh ya..DGL helped a little too
I'm now taking Mastic gum
__________________
Betty

 
Old 02-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 129
debbie2862 HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrbetty
I tried every presciption drug my drs could think of for acid, they all made me worse. the only thing that has helped me was switching to a coffee for ppl with acid/ gerd etc. not eating butter, mayo, sause, chocolate, spicy foods and when its bad I mix up baking soda with water.
I had and still do stomach pain
are you just having heartburn or both?
oh ya..DGL helped a little too
I'm now taking Mastic gum
I have some stomach pain but it isn't the main problem. It's mostly this weird pressure in my chest and throat and I'm finding that I am now hoarse!
Do you mind if I ask, what was your diagnosis? Did they do an endoscopy?
I just had the endo done and he said I have inflammation of my esophagus and stomach and gastritis.
What is DGL?

Thank you again for your help.

 
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mass
Posts: 197
ebrbetty HB User
Re: Anyone have reaction to Aciphex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2862
I have some stomach pain but it isn't the main problem. It's mostly this weird pressure in my chest and throat and I'm finding that I am now hoarse!
Do you mind if I ask, what was your diagnosis? Did they do an endoscopy?
I just had the endo done and he said I have inflammation of my esophagus and stomach and gastritis.
What is DGL?

Thank you again for your help.
hi deb, I've had 2 endoscopys, gastic emptying, barium plus many other tests. I was told I had a destended stomach, slow gastric emptying [ that causes heartburn as the food sits too long in the stomach] and an inflamed duodenum as well as gastritis
2 months ago I found out I have celiac.
DGL is taken for ulcers, I took it for a couple months, it didn't help me all that much, but everyone is different
heres a link explaining a little about it
[url]http://tsangenterprise.com/rhizinate.htm[/url]
I hope I've been of some help, we're all just trying to find a way to feel better..I pray everyday my stomach pain will stop
take care
Betty
__________________
Betty

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Could Aciphex be my problem??????????? SKZ Acid Reflux / GERD 2 12-14-2007 10:07 AM
Does anyone have esophageal spasms? Lia813 Digestive Disorders 44 02-19-2007 05:39 PM
Aciphex allergic reaction? Laura B Digestive Disorders 5 08-12-2006 07:12 AM
Anyone else on Aciphex? kar01 Acid Reflux / GERD 18 06-01-2006 06:12 PM
Anyone take Protonix? debbie2862 Acid Reflux / GERD 9 03-31-2006 04:24 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



janewhite1 (20), bluepumkin (18), solofelix (15), Harry (13), Titchou (8), flipfleury (8), ladybud (7), MountainReader (7), jmarple (6), rufous57 (5)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (942), Apollo123 (859), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!