It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Van71

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Socagrl
(female)

Socagrl HB User
Van71

Hi Van

I was reading some of your posts and some of your symptoms remind me of mind.

I also have the pain on the left side. where on the left side is yours?

I have pain on my right side under my ribcage and in my back and it can go up my back to my shoulder and it burns , aches and sore, tender.

And then the pain in my left an be in in the back also allover too.

I get other symptoms too- belching, some heartburn, some adomincal pain. They saw no stones on the u/s (had many of them) and they said maybe some 'sludge' i have but no stones yet.

Do you have 'attacks'? I dont, my pain seems to be constant regardless of what i eat- but sometimes worse. Some days the pain is much better other days worse- good days/ bad. Sometimes i feel these pokes and stabs under there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
van71
(female)

van71 HB User
Re: Van71

Hi Socagrl, you mean I am really not alone with these symptoms??

I dont have attacks either, the pain is always there (only time I have relief is first thing in the morning before I eat anything)..some days are better than others. It is a pressure/burning/stabbing pain that is absolutely activated by food (any kind, I have been eating nothing but chicken, turkey, rice, bread and veggies for the last 2 months). Sometimes when it is really bad I also feel like there is pressure being put on my breastbone.

The left side pain is right under my ribcage, from the center to my side. I never just have left side pain, I have both right and left together. I also get burning pain in my back, right and left.

I have been getting some indigestion lately as well, but not abnormally belching.

Catscans showed gallbladder normal, hida scan showed gallbladder only working at 30%, ultrasound showed gallbladder normal, endoscope normal, barium enema normal. I just rescheduled my surgery for next month since all three drs cant figure it out so are blaming it on my gb. What are your drs saying?

When you say abdominal pain too, you mean lower abdomen?

VAN

Old 02-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Socagrl
(female)

Socagrl HB User

Van,

I've been meaning to write back, i've been so caught up with my child this weekend.

so i've been trying to pay attention to weather or not it's worse with food and sometimes i feel more burning under my rib after i have something with fat like chocolate i noticed!

this is my pattern of pain:

it's almost always there- the location is where it changes at times. I almost always feel it in my mid-back area- the area where the ribs end in the back i feel it most but it also goes up my back around the shoulders too/under should blade area.

sometimes my stomach is sore in certain areas on my right side a little if i press around feels tender or achey but not always. yes my lower stomach and sometimes all over and it's non-specific really.

when i wake up in the morning I have some of the pain still in my back i notice. but i notice the pain in the front under the ribs is worse in the day. I notice my pain is the least when i go for a few days without eating a whole lot- laying off of anything substantial.

"The left side pain is right under my ribcage, from the center to my side. I never just have left side pain, I have both right and left together. I also get burning pain in my back, right and left."

I have this EXACTLY what you wrote!!

my pain ranges from burning, to stabs, to a constant deep ache. sometimes the burning will last from seconds to hours but the ache will hang around for much longer. It's terrible!!

my dr says no stones- so he's not worried. they've check my GB multiple times, done labs and the only thing i have yet to do is a HIDA scan which he didnt want to do - thought was a waste of time!! but i think all my pain is pointing in that direction!

have you had any children or are you overweight? they say GB problems are more common in those situations. I am not overweight but i did have 2 pregnancies and this is when the pain started for me.

even this morning when i drank cranberry juice i felt the jabs and burning in my upper right quadrant under my ribs!! it burned there for about 10 minutes then went away leaving just that achey feeling and of course that constant pain in my back!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
van71
(female)

van71 HB User

Hi Socagirl, sounds like we have almost the same issues!

I just had a son 7 months ago, but my pain started 3 months ago. Did yours start after your 1st or 2nd pregnancy? I gained 40lbs with the pg, lost 30 but still have 20 more to go. It is common to get stones from pg.

So does the weather affect it? I have noticed my cycle does...I want to die that week, the pain is soo much worse. Have you noticed that with you at all?

Fat, sugar, and spicy all make it really bad so I am staying away from these. Cranberry juice has alot of sugar, so you may want to find some sugar-free and see if that makes a difference.

Are you going to have the hida scan done? It is pretty painless, just long and will be able to tell if your gb is not functioning properly.

Heres to a good week for both of us!!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Socagrl
(female)

Socagrl HB User

WOW how CRAZY!! yes my cycle TOTALLY affects it!!! HOLY MOLY!! I dread my hormones going nuts becuz the pain is sooooooo much worse!!!
My baby is 7 months old this week!! I had my son in August!

my pain started in my first pregnancy and they did the u/s to check for stones and said none!! but i think the pain is worse now after this second pregnancy!!! I think pregnancy is very hard on the GB!!

I have 10 pounds more to lose. I lost 30 pounds right away! very fast now this last 10 is very hard.

they say losing weight fast also does a number on the GB as well.

did they rule out your liver? make sure nothing was wrong with it? no hepatitis or anything???

so what are you going to do next??

do you know why sugars make the pain worse? I thought it was just fats?

(sorry for all the questions! )

Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
van71
(female)

van71 HB User

Ok, too crazy! My son was born July 17th, when was your son born?? Wonder why hormones would affect the gb like this?

They did find a small liver hemangioma when they did a catscan, and did a follow-up catscan to confirm that is what it was...but they say that is not causing this pain. Otherwise, liver enzymes were fine and liver looked normal in ultrasound. Has your liver been looked at?

Right now I have gb surgery scheduled for March 20th. I do have an appt with OBGYN March 7th and am going to see what he thinks. I have seen two regular doctors, a GI doctor and the surgeon and since they cannot find anything except the hida scan results they all recommend getting it out. The ONLY other thing one of the drs said the left side pain could be is splenic flexure syndrome, where gas can get trapped in the splenic flexure of your colon (highest point of colon where it turns on your left side). BUT, there is no test or treatment for it.

Oh, have you also noticed that stress makes it worse? Mine is always worse during the week when I am working, taking care of my son, house, husband etc and better on the weekends.

VAN

Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Socagrl
(female)

Socagrl HB User

hi van!

wow our sons are very close in age, mine was August 4th!

my pain got worse after the pregnancy, 3-4 weeks after i noticed but i was sore there during the pregnancy also- but is worse now. theyve looked for stones several times and my liver seems fine.

i have noticed that less stress in my day i feel better-or if i'm out doing something fun that i dont focus on it as much and i feel less sore, less achey.

i notice my pain is worse when i bend over, bad posture, leaning over- not sitting up straight. how about you?

another question: how far up does your pain travel in your back? both on my right and left side i can feel it from the bottom/last rib all the way up to where my shoulder blades start. sometimes my right shoulder even hurts!
i've even had times where i get pain that will go to my lower back.

is your back ever sore in the morning when wake up?

how you feeling today?

i think i need this thing out!!

Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
van71
(female)

van71 HB User

Ok....

How are you feeling today? I actually feel ok so am afraid to eat breakfast!

Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Socagrl
(female)

Socagrl HB User

well i just woke up and my back is sore and my right shoulder aches- but otherwise ok.

i have pain even regardless if i've started to eat in my back. but it will get more sore as the day goes on under my right ribs in the front.

i dont get any 'attacks' as people describe. but i do notice throuhgout the day that i'll get these 'waves' of burning and poking and increased acheyness/tenderness under there.

does your pain always come on immediately after you eat- about how long does it take? mine kinda creeps up on me throughout the day- sometimes the worst of it will be some jabs/pokes or slight burn feeling that will go away or sometimes stick around for a bit.

REMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2006 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
van71
(female)

van71 HB User

Mine gets worse throughout the day. It gets worse when I eat, but is there regardless. Could be anywhere from a ache to shooting pains. Sometimes I can even feel it pulsating, freaks me out!

Closed Thread