It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Barium Swallow... Anyone?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Question Barium Swallow... Anyone?

I have to do a barium swallow with small bowel follow through... I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Apparently there is no prep to it, I just have to fast for approx 9 hours before the procedure.

I also have to have a barium enema the 19th of April... does anyone have any experience with this? This one has a two day detailed prep that I have to pick up at the doctor's office. Do they sedate for this? Probably not I'm thinking... It's at the xray dept... so I am assuming there is no scope for this, but my friend says she watched hers on a tv camera? I'm thinking maybe shes confused?

I have read tons of things online on both of these, but I find personal experiences are much better than factual explanantion.

I'm such a chicken, I backed out of my sigmoidoscopy at the last minute the first time. I went through the darn prep and got to the admitting nurse and just broke down, and told her i was leaving. Weeks later, I called and had it rescheduled... it was most definitely not a fun procedure, and I will not do it again... but it was manageable.

Last edited by Angela22F; 02-28-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
MellyMel
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Barium Swallow... Anyone?

Hi Angela:

I've never had the enema, but I have had the barium swallow. The stuff you have to drink sucks big time because it is WICKED thick and gross, but the test itself is nothing. I've also had a colonoscopy which went well. The prep is way worse than the test itself.

Good luck on your tests!

Melly

Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I did and upper GI series, where you swallow barium. Not fun at all, but it was fine when it was over. I just got really nauseous for a few minutes. But your friend is right. You do get to watch some of it on the TV. They don't use standard x-rays for these studies, but fluoroscopy, which is kind of like a moving x-ray. So you get to watch the stuff moving around inside of you on TV. It's really pretty cool. So try not to worry too much. Not the most pleasant test, but once it's done you'll feel fine. (As opposed to the endoscopy, where you feel nothing during, but then the whole day you're out of it...)

Old 02-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank you both for the replies... I figure as much of a chicken as I am, one day of tests will not kill me. It is only some time out of one day of my life... as opposed to all this pain being constant for a long long time now... it seems do-able

MellyMel - I can only imagine how gross the barium is, and I would say very hard to swallow. I guess pretty soon I'll know though and not have to imagine lol. What did you have to do prep wise? I'm hoping the swallow will show something, so I will not have to have the enema

Kehorner - so there is no scope? great news for me lol I'm assuming as well then that there is no sedation, because with no scope it is not necessary.. therefore I'll be able to function properly and not be doped up! I hate being out of it...

Old 02-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

How long did the Barium Swallow take? I've read that it depends really... anywhere from like 30 mins to 4 hours! I would crack up I think...

Old 02-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
MellyMel
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela22F
How long did the Barium Swallow take? I've read that it depends really... anywhere from like 30 mins to 4 hours! I would crack up I think...
Angela:

The Barium Swallow took me maybe 20 minutes. I actually got maybe 3 different types of things to drink as they watched. It seemed as if each one got thicker and thicker. lol They found I had acid reflux and that is why I was always feeling like I had post nasal drip in my throat.

Melly

Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I don't remember exactly how long it took... maybe half an hour total. First they gave me some powder to throw down with just a little water. The powder fizzes and makes gas that they tell you not to burp up, so it inflates your stomach so they can see stuff. I think that was what gave me the most trouble. Then they give you a glass of thick barium to chug. They really want you to drink it like as fast as possible. This was the part that made me sick. For this part I was standing. Then they had me lay down and roll around on the table. Finally, they gave me some thinner stuff to drink with a straw that wasn't bad at all. If you're doing the lower intestine follow through, it will take longer, because you have to wait for it to go through the intestines. I think that's where it can take up to four hours. But you don't have to drink anything more. Just sit around and wait for it to travel, while they intermittently take pictures. I didn't have that part, though, so I'm not entirely sure about the timeline on it all. But all the bad stuff happens at the beginning. And no sedation or scopes.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #8
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank you, just reading your replies makes me feel better already

Kehorner, I do have to have a follow through, I read somewhere that I should bring along a good read

Old 03-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Angela

We were communicating thru the boards on the other one...bowel problems??? do u remember????

Anyway, im glad you finally went to the docs and they are doing tests now.

I had the barium swallow and small follow through, its fine honestly, just sickly having to drink the stuff, and the follow through means thats you will be sat on the toilet alot afterwards as you will poo it out.

I also had the barium enema, again it isnt as bad as what some people imagine, abit uncomfortable but no really painful. Just make sure you drink plenty of water after the barium enema as it can make you very constipated.

Good luck

Sharon

Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Hi Again Sharon76 Yes i remember, it's actually on page two of this board

I am imagining an uncomfortable day, but nothing horrible, it is just so nice to have that reassurance. Thank you I chicken out so easily

How are you doing?

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-01-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

I'm doing ok thanks.......i'm waiting to have an endoscopy done and then a laparotomy, which i am not looking forward to as it is a long recuperation period.

My private consultant finally thinks i have what is called a vulvus of the small bowel. thats why i need the laparotomy.

Anyway........i wish you al the very best with your tests and the outcome of them. Dont worry too much, the worrying is owrse than the procedures

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Hi Sharon, Thank you

Are you going to have the laparotomy done laparoscopically(sp??)? or are they going to make an incision and have an open surgery? the former would have a much quicker recuperation time, I just don't know if they would be able to do all that they need to do laparoscopically... Just a thought.

What is vulvus of the bowel? I have never heard of that. Has that something to do with the twisting/looping?

Sending best wishes for you and I hope they can finally give you some answers.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
Trishac
(female)

Trishac HB User

Hey There,

I did the barium swallow a few weeks ago... The time it takes is REALLY dependant on the person...

For myself, I went into the room and i had the gas pills (they're kinda icky, mine tasted pretty bitter) and you REALLY feel like burping but they tell you not to, and if you do, you have to take more so DONT burp.... then i had to drink 3 glasses of the barium, starting with the thickest, and getting thinner... to be honest, it just kind of tastes like paste.. if it helps you, ask the doctor if you can rinse your mouth out with water between sips.. you cant SWALLOW the water, but at least the taste is gone...

Not to freak you out.. haha but i spewed... bigtime.

I have a pretty weak stomache though, and I was still feeling really nauseous just from being sick.... the good news is... they didnt make me RE-DRINK everything, but i had to drink more... so TRY not to spew if you can... haha .. my tip is... bring someone with you to chat to... or else bring your ipod or something to take your mind of the nausea...

And actually, the procedure itself is kind of cool, at least it was for me, because i got to have a look at my insides on the television... i thought it was kinda neat personally... but seriously, youll be fine.. if you've done the sigmoidoscopy.... this is about a billion times easier.

YOu'll be right Good luck!!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
Angela22F
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Trishac, Thank you so much for your honest reply I'm not looking forward to it, and hope I don't throw it all up, but o well, it's only one day. And replies like yours make me feel 100 times better Hopefully they'll figure out what is wrong with me.

I imagine it to be real pasty, like have you ever had pepto chewables? When I read your reply thats what I thought of, the gross pasty stuff the chewables turn into, only more likely worst than that.

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-07-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Trishac
(female)

Trishac HB User

Naaah you know its more like a thick milkeshake... like a WAY too thick one thats hard to get up through the straw.... its a little bit gritty but not as bad as you'd expect... its just so mega thick thats all.

Have you had it yet? How'd it go?

I see your posts all over here, and i've recently been through the same thing... gastroscopy, ultrasound, colonoscopy, CT, barium swallow, god you name it.. and still NOTHING.

I've started feeling heaps better but, now i have some other weird symptoms... its neverending is it haha we'll survive!

Closed Thread