It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Elevated Amylase for 6 months now

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
kdawg33
(female)

kdawg33 HB User
Elevated Amylase for 6 months now

I had a variety of digestive issues back in August, September and October...varying in intensity. The only thing that was and continues to be flagged is a mildly elevated Amylase and I was told I had mild gastritis. I also still have potential malabsorption issues ie. bulky stools, sometimes orange/yellow in color, I have seen oil in the toilet only a couple times though...and these episodes aren't constant but when they do happen I can lose 5lbs in one day so I can't say I have really gained any of the 12 lbs I lost. I do have normal stools too, nothing is ever consistant!

I was tested for Celiac via endoscopy/blood and it was negative. I have been feeling a lot better but I am terrified I will feel the same I felt those 3 months. Some of my episodes were very scary and it hind sight I wish I had gone to the ER.

Finally, the doctor thinks it is pancreas related so now I am on pancreatic enzymes. I just wish I knew something for sure and if it was going to happen again.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Earlene
(female)

Earlene HB User
Re: Elevated Amylase for 6 months now

Back in Sept 05 my amalyse was elevated and I had mild gastritis also. My dr. didn't even mention the amalyse. I had asked for a copy of my blood work and noticed it myself. It was 23 points over the range. Did your dr. say what it meant? Is it related to the pancrease. Do you know what your ALT result was? Have you thought of getting a second opinion?
e

Old 03-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
kdawg33
(female)

kdawg33 HB User

I asked him and he said it may be elevated because there is a disturbance somewhere in my GI tract. It can be elevated for a number of reasons apparently, but it is an enzyme produced by your pancreas and he thinks it may be the result of something "going on" in my pancreas. I had 3 really scary episodes where 15-30 minutes after eating, I had a loose bm that was oily/yellow followed by pain under my sternum and it would radiate (pulse almost) into my back. It would last the whole day, I couldn't eat (almost throwing up) and I would wake up almost sore and very fatigued the next day. He thinks those may have been very mild pancreatitis episodes...but who knows because I didn't go to the ER. I am terrified of going through that again and I hate the unknown.

There is a chance your doctor didn't mention it because it wasn't elevated that high or had returned to normal. Did you get bloodwork after that one result? Mine has been consistently elevated now for over 6 months which has me a little freaked.

It is so hard to get a diagnosis!

Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Earlene
(female)

Earlene HB User

Try not to get too anxious but I know that is not easy. Just take it one day at a time. Are your enzymes making a difference yet? I can definitely relate to not having a diagnosis and worrying about what is wrong. Do you have a return appointment? Have you had your gallbladder tested?

Closed Thread