It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

chest pain on movement due to gerd ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
eeeean

eeeean HB User
chest pain on movement due to gerd ?

After excluding cardiac causes, can GERD (or as anyone experience with GERD..) cause a burning chest pain left of mid sternum on moving around e.g. change from a sitting to standing position and perhaps even having a very gentle walk ? My doctor doesn't think this is cardiac related as it is not consistently excercise induced but its unclear to me if it does come on mainly when I am active (suggest cardiac??). It also seems to me that when its at its worst from moving around I also have a sore throat/burning sensation/bad taste in the back of my mouth (suggest gerd ??). Just been prescribed rantidine 300mg to supplement the nexium 40 mg I am taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post Re: chest pain on movement due to gerd ?

Yep, that's how I feel. I can't lean over at all, it will send me into fits.

I have exactly what you're talking about. It's hard not to think it's your heart, but I just had a $5,000 cardiac checkup and it's the GERD

Old 03-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
debbie2862
(female)

debbie2862 HB User
Re: chest pain on movement due to gerd ?

I have pain on the left side beneath my ribs. I thought that I had pulled a muscle but now that I've read your post, I'm beginning to wonder (I also have GERD).
Does yours come and go based on your activity level or is it every day?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
eeeean

eeeean HB User

mine comes on any time it feels like it. It comes on when I'm sat down at rest (which is the really alarming thing if it is cardiac !!!). If its not there it often starts if I get up and stretch or move around. I'm a psychological mess over this as I just don't know what is going on and I'm afraid to move around in case it is cardiac. I also can't really understand how 40mg nexium twice daily and 300mg ranitidine once daily are failing to control it :-(

Doc put me on ranitidine for 4 weeks to see how it goes. If no improvement then its off to the consultant GI.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
shabby
(female)

shabby HB User
Smile Re: chest pain on movement due to gerd ?

Hi. No need for alarm. I have been suffering from this gerd thing for about 4 years!!! The pain does make you think its your heart. Bending, and turning from side to side is usuallt when I feel the pain. It hurts! When I started with these symptoms I to thought I was having a heart attack and went to Emergency room. Since them I have been on every medicine. Some relief but not enough. Good luck to you. JoAnne :

Old 04-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
superchef
(male)

superchef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeean
mine comes on any time it feels like it. It comes on when I'm sat down at rest (which is the really alarming thing if it is cardiac !!!). If its not there it often starts if I get up and stretch or move around. I'm a psychological mess over this as I just don't know what is going on and I'm afraid to move around in case it is cardiac. I also can't really understand how 40mg nexium twice daily and 300mg ranitidine once daily are failing to control it :-(

Doc put me on ranitidine for 4 weeks to see how it goes. If no improvement then its off to the consultant GI.
Im on exactly the same treatment! But still getting constant chest ache

Old 04-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
moesciphish
(male)

moesciphish HB User

I have MAD chest pains with movement... it hurts in my upper/mid sternum area and back and even in my right and left upper chest area...I also notice my posture, like slouching forward in my computer chair will aggrevate the hell out of it. I don't know if it is inflammed esophagus that is tender to movement or what... but it is very scary... I thought it was my heart... but I don't think movement would cause that kind of pain if it was the heart. Another pain I think in my upper chest area is from tension (stress) and dramatic weight loss... I'm guessing with the weight loss I've had muscle deterioration that is causing tightness and pain. I used to have stabbing pain below my sternum... but the protonix has essentially made that go away... I still have the upper pain though...

Last edited by moesciphish; 04-16-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Closed Thread